S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Strange thing happened this morning

Old 05-18-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange thing happened this morning

Since I got my car tuned I still have some hot start issues, once it a while it'll backfire on a hot start. Even blew a vac hose off once before. So this morning I'm driving in to work, I get to the light where I turn in to the office and I stall it. So I go to restart, it cranks a few times and backfires, didn't seem too bad, just a poof but then the engine keeps rolling like it's gonna start (finger no longer on the button) finally it catches but sounds way wrong, there was a lot of clicking (assuming timing chain) and a puff of smoke came out of the hood vent. There were cars behind me so I'm gonna pull off the road and as I let out the clutch the car start moving BACKWARD!!! I shut it down immediately and get out to tell the people behind me to go around, get back in and crank it over after a couple times it fires up and sounds normal except for a high idle, I figured I blew a vac line, pull into work, pop the hood and my FPR line is disconnected, plug it back in and the idle goes back to normal.

I've heard of motorcycles running backward but never heard of a Honda motor ('cept for bikes) getting caught backward. Freaked me out, figured something was significantly wrong but at this point it all seems back to normal. Anyone else heard of this happening. I'm not making it up and I wasn't 'confused' about what gear I was in, there's a significan difference between 1st and reverse. I've had the car since '05 and never experienced anything like it before. I sent a note to my 'new' tuner (going in next week to deal w/the hot/cold start issues anyway) to let him know what happened. Hoping it's not an issue, doesn't seem to be at this point.

WEIRD!!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:24 AM

wow, thats super odd. How does it get stuck running in the opposite direction? lol
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Yeah, got me man. I would have never thought it could happen.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AndyFloyd,May 18 2009, 08:24 AM
wow, thats super odd. How does it get stuck running in the opposite direction? lol
Your starter spins in one direction? I don't understand.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:24 AM

Like I said, I can't really understand it either but I didn't hold the start button down after it 'poofed' but the engine sort of dieseled after it backfired then sort of 'caught' and started running. I think when it backfired it must have been on the top of a stroke and forced the crank back the wrong way, like I said it was making a loud clicking noise like the timing chain was hosed or something, there was a puff of blue smoke from the hood and it went backward in 1st gear. After I shut it down and re-started it, the clicking sound was gone and other than a high idle it sounded fine. After I parked it I got out and looked w/the enging still running, saw the vac hose was off, reconnected it and the idle went down to normal and it didn't make any other strange noises. I'll be driving it in a little while and I'll see if all well.

I feel like I'm trying to convince everyone that something that can't happen happened, no one here (at work) has ever heard of it happening 'cept w/diesels. I know it has happened on a bike a time or 2 (dirt bike) but never a gas car motor. I got ahold of the guy who's going to clean up my tune and he said other than diesel motors he's never seen it happen before. BUT IT DID, I SWEAR IT'S NOT ALL IN MY HEAD (wish it were).

m
Old 05-18-2009, 05:18 PM

I have seen that happen before mostly to carb cars. Pretty cool huh
Old 05-18-2009, 06:56 PM

Finally someone else who's experienced it before. Don't know if I'd call it cool, other than I have a story almost no one seems to believe.

Drove it 55 miles back home this afternoon, ran great, got it up to about 105 during a quick pass, no issues. So that's cool.

mm
Old 05-18-2009, 07:49 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

crazy, never even heard of this happening