S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Stock Mufflers With 3in

Old 11-24-2005, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Mufflers With 3in

Has anyone thought about taking a stock exhaust and having the stock tubes replaced with 3in? Do you think the mufflers would still be too restrictive?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:27 PM

I am having my stock exhaust put back on and having a electric actuator put on that lets me go from stock exhaust, to straight down pipe. The setup should be done in a week or two. I will post pics and a sound clip when its done.

I wanted to be able to run a quieter stock exhaust for daily driving and be able to switch to loud open down pipe when racing.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:36 PM

That's what I originally wanted to do but I read about a lot of them getting stuck open on LS1's. Post some pics as soon as you get that done. Are you going to just Y it off?
Old 11-25-2005, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you ever felt how freakin heavy the stock mufflers are?! I'm not kidding, I was surprised when I picked them up after cutting them off. Aside from their weight, going from a 3" pipe to the more restrictive stock cans kinda kills the point of the bigger pipes for better flow doesn't it? Unless you do something like nsxinsac I guess, but then you have the weight of the stock system again plus the extra components. Is this to keep a stock sleeper look or something? If that's the case how about 3" pipes, lighter more free flowing yet semi stock looking mufflers like magnaflow, and stock or somewhat stock exhaust tips? It's late and I'm kinda rambling right now.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:37 AM

If what you're looking for is a "stock" looking, but 3-inch piped exhaust, you could try this: Ultimate Racing 3-Inch Exhaust

I think it's a little pricey, but looks like a quality piece and maintains that "stock" look, which is perfect for sleepers...I just wonder if it's heavy, or at least heavier than the stock exhaust...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by 73Zero,Nov 25 2005, 02:37 AM
If what you're looking for is a "stock" looking, but 3-inch piped exhaust, you could try this: Ultimate Racing 3-Inch Exhaust

I think it's a little pricey, but looks like a quality piece and maintains that "stock" look, which is perfect for sleepers...I just wonder if it's heavy, or at least heavier than the stock exhaust...
is that stock muffler?? i see more blings to it.

i like that stock look tho.

hows comptech compare to this exhaust from ultimate racing?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Irace4Kimchi,Nov 25 2005, 04:45 PM
is that stock muffler?? i see more blings to it.

i like that stock look tho.

hows comptech compare to this exhaust from ultimate racing?
I believe those are Magnaflow mufflers, with provisions to put your stock tips on.

As for the comparison, I have no idea as I haven't owned either exhausts...
Old 11-25-2005, 06:31 PM

Ultimate uses magnaflows? How loud is it?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by hahnn002,Nov 25 2005, 01:43 AM
Unless you do something like nsxinsac I guess, but then you have the weight of the stock system again plus the extra components. Is this to keep a stock sleeper look or something?
With 400whp+ a extra 65 lbs. in the rear will not be that bad . Very soon I plan to try and get 500whp+ and at that point, a little extra weight in the rear might help.

I was running straight down pipe and in Sacramento, CA, cops are pulling over a lot of cars with modified exhausts and giving them huge fines. And getting pulled over for exhaust, might lead to a officer asking me to, "Open my hood", and that is bad when he sees a large turbo in my engine bay. So I would like to have my S look and sound as close to stock as possible. But have the option to flip the switch and have open down pipe.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

NSX.

I have been running your set-up for about 2 months now on my set-up. I have a 3 inch dp, to 3 in midpipe. Write after the connector there I have a Y pipe welded in with the one leg having a actuator on it. It is great. I can go from stock silent to WIDE OPEN with the flick of a switch. With the exhaust wide open it sounds great, but draws to much attention. And sometimes you want a nice quiete ride. IMO best set up ever. Aside from the weight it can be two things a aftermarket exhaust can never do.

1. Have the best flow #'s
2. At the same time be as quiete as stock.

NSX you will love it. I wouldn't go back.

J. R.

Quick Reply: Stock Mufflers With 3in