S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Starting issues

Old 02-18-2016, 01:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by liquidgsr
Ah, thats the problem then. Its falling to 12.1 and below. Maybe I need a new battery. I have a terminal that reads voltage as well. Thank you. I am wondering if Hondata might be a better solution then if this is the case with AEM.
yea if I see my volts 12.2 or below thru my hood vents then I just don't bother and get my jumpbox.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdosmil77
AEM needs battery to be at a perfect 12.5 to start w no probs. sometimes mines not enuf if I have 12.2-.3. I have battery terminal that reads volts so I know right away whether ill need jumpbox or not.

Hmm, that explains a lot then. I have basically the same issue with my SC setup with AEM V2. I also have a digital voltage reader on my battery. I keep a trickle charger on mine over the winter and that isn't even enough to start the car when I take it off and it's around 12.3 volts. I always have to put the charger in boost mode to put more voltage into the battery and leave it sit for a few minutes before I even attempt starting it. Once started and ran for a bit everything is fine. Even if the car sits for several hours and I go to start it up again. I just have to boost it when I start the car once a week so it's not sitting stagnant all winter. Also, my battery is basically brand new, about 1 year old. Though I do understand these batteries really aren't the biggest in the world, so the cold can kill these much faster.
Old 02-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,253 Likes on 1,094 Posts

How is your battery dropping fo 12.2 volts? Should be 12.6v or just under.

-- Chuck
Old 02-19-2016, 06:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
How is your battery dropping fo 12.2 volts? Should be 12.6v or just under.

-- Chuck

The battery sat in the car for a long time with the car not being started. I think that killed some of the life. I am not sure if it is still under warranty. I am going to try and swap the battery out to a newer one I have my other car and see how that works out.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

I know e85 and cold starts do not get along. All my cars with e85 and winter starts took more cranking.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:37 AM

Bringing this back to the top. I'm still having issues trying to get the car started even after being on the trickle charger. Last night I went out left the charger on boost mode for a while since the car hasn't been started for over 3 weeks. I left the charger on boost when attempting to start the car and still no luck getting it going. I had to let it roll out of my garage and use jumper cables to my other car to finally get it to fully start. Like I said in previous post, the battery isn't really THAT old either. Resting voltage seems to always be around 12.2. I took a video of the car trying to start and when it tries to turn over it looks like voltage drops to about 10v. It even seemed to do this when I used my other car with the jumper cables.

I only have the KW SC kit with AEM V2 and the fans are stock. Could this possibly be another issue arising? Starter? Alternator? Idk, just throwing out ideas.

Also in looking at that battery diagram posted above, I don't think the battery voltage ever rested around 12.5 even when I installed it in the car. It always sat around 12.2-3. I mean what do I have to do, pull the battery over the winter and let it sit inside my house? My garage gets cold, but it is a finished garage with insulation on at least one side where it connects to the house, so it gets cold in there, but it's not super cold to where the battery should still be getting killed the way it is even when it's on a trickle charger.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:00 AM

My brand new Optima red top and my Interstate over sized battery both went below 12.5 resting. I think mine may be from something draining the battery, maybe the alarm system. I installed a breaker switch to cut power to the car when I park it to keep the battery going too low. I know the AEM wont static sync if it falls bellow a certain charge. The battery will have enough to start, but the AEM wont sink. I have a battery jumper and try connecting it to a point closer to the aem so that it gets enough charge to sync.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:18 AM

My car takes 3 long cranks to start in the summer time (Cold Start only). 65*F weather. AEM V1 on ID1000 and E85. In the winter, forget it. I use Starting fluid sprayed into the intake manifold to start the car when i don't feel like cranking it. Onces it's warmed, it will start up fine on the first crank.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:08 AM

Well my wife was nice enough to remove the battery for me via FaceTime, lol, and take it to Advanced Auto to have them test it. They say that the battery needs to be fully charged. So I guess I'm going to start there and see what happens. Tomorrow before work I will install it and take it back to Advanced Auto and they are going to run an alternator and starter test to see if anything else is wrong. Idk I just don't get it. Maybe the battery charger I have sucks and isn't keeping the battery charged enough and I need a better battery tender to keep it fully charged when not in use.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM

Maybe you have something draining it like I do?

Quick Reply: Starting issues