S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS TS Max Turbo Kit Build Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000442
Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si' timestamp='1382988154' post='22850412
So I drove the car Saturday. Didn't have too much time behind the wheel but in my initial impressions...ill stay with a supercharger.

Now mind you I don't have much experience driving many turbo'd cars. Probably the best I've driven is a stock 2007 335i...which is pretty good IMHO.

I really didn't like the lag...IE: time from throttle movement to on boost. No it wasn't very long but there is absolutely NONE on a my car (yes I tried at varied rpms etc). The midrange is nice but nothing exciting up top either. I drove it on 10# and then 15#. 15 was obviously better but just not my cup of tea. I would have liked to spend more time driving it but we ran out of time. At this time I'm fairly convinced that I will be sticking with a supercharger.
You have not driven my Ptuning car yet Ask "scrapdog" in his KW car what happened when we did a 70mph 4th gear pull. Sure there is some lag with any turbo car but once it spools look out. That kit pulls like a raped ape all the way to redline.
no, turbos are dumb, they take million billion years to spool and make powaZ. BlEh to snails. lol.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The problem with this kit is, sure you can still spool a big turbo like a gt3582 up to 15psi by 4k rpms, but it's still limited to ~400whp on pump. On a more efficient designed exhaust system like a certain other rival brands kit, it may not spool quite as fast, but you can use a smaller turbo to make the same numbers, so you end up spooling just as fast anyways.

I think if SOS offered a kit with a T4 housing and a manifold with a little longer runners that opened up the top end a little more, along side with the kit they are already producing, everyone would jump back on the bandwagon lol
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

You have not driven my Ptuning car yet Ask "scrapdog" in his KW car what happened when we did a 70mph 4th gear pull. Sure there is some lag with any turbo car but once it spools look out. That kit pulls like a raped ape all the way to redline.
Yes Sir...you are correct...I haven't (but would like to sometime) and I'm sure 560+whp is sufficient. I did ride in 518135's on race gas @570whp. It was alot of go! However...not what I would want for my car.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by camuman

no, turbos are dumb, they take million billion years to spool and make powaZ. BlEh to snails. lol.
Yes...now you're seein my point of view! Lol j/k
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle

What else is there? Lol
Well then...pardon me. I stand corrected!
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si

Yes Sir...you are correct...I haven't (but would like to sometime) and I'm sure 560+whp is sufficient. I did ride in 518135's on race gas @570whp. It was alot of go! However...not what I would want for my car.
Its not for everyone. Super chargers are still fun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has had both and I will stick with a turbo any day.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa... I've been away for a while and all this happened...

The first time I saw the dyno sheet my eyes immediately locked in on the torque curve. I saw it drop off above 7k and got a bad feeling inside because I knew what it meant. My old Greddy kit was like that. Instant spool, and it starts to really take off in the midrange. As soon as I hit VTEC and thought, "This is gonna be epic!" the power dropped off and the party ended, and I wound up shifting around 7k. It promised so much but couldn't deliver. It teaches you what boost can do, but refuses to do it.

By contrast, RAIN H8R, Junky, and I know all too well how the SOS Novi 1200 SC behaves on high boost. It hits VTEC and throws you back in the seat as it pulls harder and harder. The scenery around the car blurs and you warp past everything else on the road in a way that seems impossible. It teaches you what high rpm horsepower really is, and it re-wires your brain to finally understand that HP >>>>>> TQ. It made me no longer Torque Obsessed; I am now Horsepower Obsessed. No lie.

When I saw this kit come out, I thought to myself, did SOS finally nail the magic formula? No compromises; no downside; fast twin scroll spool with plenty of power and an easy bolt-on installation? I was really excited. SOS is a great vendor and they make solid products. But as we've learned, this is what it was designed to be; not what we all assumed/hoped it was. It's heartbreaking to see RAIN H8R dissatisfied with the kit, but honestly I think that's because this wasn't the right choice for his goals. None of us anticipated this outcome or we would have warned him up front.

For his goals, I think the answer is most likely a Full Race turbo setup. The ramhorn setup with a GTX30 should just about nail it, but the install isn't quite as much of a straight bolt-on as this SOS setup. Ptuning's kit would also be a great choice for his goals. Either of those can be found used so more $ isn't required. I think a little searching and looking at dyno graphs will reveal the answer; if more power is needed, Full Race's sidewinder or Fullblown's sidewinder should do it.

Again, this is a great kit for people with certain goals. If someone wants a complete, pure bolt-on kit with solid reliability and quality components that doesn't require custom fab or other complicated mods, this works great. It's a great street setup from a reputable vendor and should be a ton of fun in traffic, without the power limitations of Greddy or the complications of other less complete kits.

I remember seeing a thread where a really good tuner was able to work around the Greddy kit's limitations and extend the torque curve a bit higher in the rpm range. I don't think E85 or a different turbo will fix the drop-off, but a good tuner just might be able to find a livable middle ground.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i think with this kit its possible to make at least the power curve stay stable over 7000 with a diff tune , its a good kit if u loooking for 400-450 whp if u need more go sidewinder
Old 11-05-2013, 01:10 PM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Torque Obsessed, I will reply to you later today hopefully.

In other news, I sold the kit today. Whats next, I have no clue...

Quick Reply: SOS TS Max Turbo Kit Build Thread