S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS TS Max Turbo Kit Build Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, its too bad that you are selling, but hopefully something better comes along and you can get on with a new setup. I'm surprised they wouldnt offer some kind of help to get you the upgrade though. You would think that as much money as you spent and being one of the first kits out there that they would feel inclined to work with you a little. Good luck with your future setup
Old 10-22-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Here we go. Tuned at 14.5psi 393whp with a FAT torque curve at 300wtrq

Sorry for the crappy picture plot from before, I was on my phone. This is my blower vs the turbo

so is this a map vs emap problem choking the kit?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by tx2K
Well, its too bad that you are selling, but hopefully something better comes along and you can get on with a new setup. I'm surprised they wouldnt offer some kind of help to get you the upgrade though. You would think that as much money as you spent and being one of the first kits out there that they would feel inclined to work with you a little. Good luck with your future setup
That was sort of what I was hoping for. Instead I got the door in my face, sort of.

Originally Posted by camuman
Originally Posted by RAIN H8R' timestamp='1381437137' post='22821446
Here we go. Tuned at 14.5psi 393whp with a FAT torque curve at 300wtrq

Sorry for the crappy picture plot from before, I was on my phone. This is my blower vs the turbo

so is this a map vs emap problem choking the kit?
What are you asking?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:02 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

The Garrett gtx3576r is not a small turbo. This turbo is capable of over 600whp on e85/race gas. This is a 65 pound per min turbo. The flow rate of a gtx3576r is the same as a normal gt3582r.

I have the gtx3576r turbo with the track forge manifold runing the .63ar t3 hotside and my stock f20c makes 442whp at 14 psi on straight 91 octane. If you look at my dyno I make the same 375whp at 7,000 rpm but I gain an additional 70whp by feline at 9,000 rpm

The way the SOS turbo kit flattens out in power at the high rpm is not because the turbo is too small. It's because of the restrictive evo8 twin scroll hotside combined with it being an internal wastegate without havering an external dump tube.

A prober high rpm twinscroll/ high hp twin scroll setup should be useing a t4 divided manifold with a t4 1.06 ar turbine housing so you get the fast spo with out hurting the top end.

My gtx3576r pump gas dyno.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was fortunate enough to drive the pilot car, Thanks Again Mark! I must say that the response was only bested by the Greddy kit out of all other them I have ever driven. It was smooth and the SOS packaging is wonderfully simple. For me extra components mean more headaches. I have built a lot of boosted S2K’s and the Greddy was probably the most fun. At 300WHP peak it was not night and day faster but the midrange was great. As everyone has probably read the kit is maxed out and if you do want a little more power we your sunk. This kit however is a perfect meld in terms of spool and RPM. Now I have not spent enough time tuning or working around Marks kit to put this in stone but my gut feeling is that the manifold, DP, hot side is probably limited to 400WHP +/- dependent on the specifics of the build. Anything more and you will probably want to look at other options.

The SOS kit for a daily or light track car would be by far my first choice but the turbo selection would however be a GT28 or 30. Since I have been away from the FI forums I have been doing a lot of road racing and my focus has turned to getting more torque coming out of the corners. In the stock car I can go flatfooted everywhere except mid corner. Secondly, adding too much power is going to reduce the reliability beyond acceptable limits for me. For a stock motor, trans, diff car I think 300WHP is about the limit. Just my opinion.

Notes I made during the test drive.
- Smoother than stock
- Wonderful spool and transient response
- The upper RPM band felt a little lazy compared to other kits, more like the IP cast mani or Greddy
- Between shift the boost was falling off and created a bit of lag
- BOV was surging
- Boost fell off between shifts
- The top end did not feel as strong as other cars
- Did I mention the spool!

Things I would like to change about the kit.
- Should have a aluminum elbow welded to the compressor housing, I hate using those 90deg elbows.
- I prefer 5 Star t-bolt clamps
- I would like to see another heat shield over the manifold itself. Especially for track duty an Inconel from ATP for me is a must.
- I personally prefer the AEM Brute Force (Grey Media)
- The coolant lines really need long steel leaders to prevent from melting the rubber hoses or an alternative would be to use braided.

So overall, I love it, only wish it would have been around before I committed to my custom SOS supercharger but let’s face it either way it will. On the other hand it is not for everyone either.

Dustin, you can download the Dynojet software and overlay as many graphs as you want baring you have the raw files. I have quite a few I can send you of mine and others if you want them.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM

I have been silent on this topic and waiting for the dyno to show that the small divided turbo housing is VERY restrictive. I showed 3 years ago that the PFAB divided manifold with the GT35 1.06 divided housing was restrictive and his is way smaller than that. Tony at T1 race helped me prove that the divided housing was difficult to use on our motor. JoeyBalls is the ONLY one with the PFAB manifold that has made good power. Everybody else has moved on to something else or non-divided. Here is my thread...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/813...#entry19408604
Old 10-22-2013, 01:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is some helpful information:

regarding limits of 91/93 octane:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/e...r_system/FAQs/
Others have made a lot more than 150 horsepower on 91 or 93 octane fuel, can I do this too? The system can produce 150-170 bhp gains on 91 or 93 octane. Through years of experience of monitoring engine health, this is the maximum power we recommend on this fuel. This is the same recommendation we have regardless if the engine is supercharged or turbocharged, regardless of what brand system you use. Yes, customers have made more power than this on 91 or 93 octane. However, the safety margin of pushing a high compression engine designed for natural aspiration should be considered. By increasing cylinder pressure to achieve more power, the safety margin against factors like fuel quality, varying fuel pressure from fuel system performance, variance in charge temperature, etc. is severely compromised. It should be expected that engine durability may suffer from pushing the engine beyond this recommendation.

flow map of the GTX3076R:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CDAQ9QEwAQ
The dyno posted shows a pressure ratio of approximately 2, which on this flow map, translates to about 42 lb/min of air flow at 75% efficiency, or about 420 bhp, or 390 whp. Exactly what the system produced. Note at a higher pressure ratio, as another poster stated, this turbo is certainly capable of more power. However, more power requires higher cylinder pressure, and a fuel with a higher anti-knock threshold. You may find posts online producing more power on the same fuel, however, they are pushing the envelope of engine safety (see comments above).

We are producing well in excess of 550 bhp using the same manifold, downpipe, and turbine. The kit certainly can produce well in excess of this with the fuel appropriate for the power goal.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jaundice
I have been silent on this topic and waiting for the dyno to show that the small divided turbo housing is VERY restrictive. I showed 3 years ago that the PFAB divided manifold with the GT35 1.06 divided housing was restrictive and his is way smaller than that. Tony at T1 race helped me prove that the divided housing was difficult to use on our motor. JoeyBalls is the ONLY one with the PFAB manifold that has made good power. Everybody else has moved on to something else or non-divided. Here is my thread...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/813...#entry19408604

i never understood why yours made so little power while other divided side winders made more. my divided fbm makes decent power on pump piss at 14psi. smaller divided i agree doesnt benefit this motor. when i was buying my kit i was told bigger is better on divided. mine is 1.00 AR. it def is not choking up top thats for sure.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my 1.10 AR
Old 10-22-2013, 02:27 PM

The sidewinders have been fine. The PFAB was an ELTM top mount manifold, similar to the bottom mount SOS manifold. Full Race is using a sidewinder too and those have been fine as well. Its the shorter runners and divided that seem to have issues....

Quick Reply: SOS TS Max Turbo Kit Build Thread