S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

SOS TS Max Turbo Kit Build Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 05:11 AM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

No whistling sounds here. What speed are your referring to? Although I the girgling sound near the turbo after shutting her off is there for me as well.

Do you have a wire dangling, which makes contact with the intake pipe from the turbo? About to tape mine up since it gets pretty hot there.
[/quote]

It sounds like a VW Fox when driving down the road, a whistle. It could be from the big bolts that hold the inter cooler to the brackets. The wind may be hitting the hex head bolt and creating the noise, or the fins of my grill up to the inter cooler. I will have to find this out as I think this is specific to my car. Ill first try covering portions of the front end with tape to find the issue.

I have no wires dangling. I routed my wastegate solenoid wiring along the frame rail and zip tied it in place... That is the only wiring I can think of that could touch the intake pipe
Old 10-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by beaudin223
but this kit is still weird at 7k stop to climb , with more boos or with E85 thsi can climb up to 9k ?
It was tuned that way, so yes indication says with a better fuel more timing can be introduced up top and allow for more peak. But really the goal wasn't to build a "peaky" set up here if im not mistaken, building a broad power band is/was. That means the sooner you can have the power develop peak in the rpm range and hold it there, the better. That would be more indicative of a v8 powrerband which I think most "road course" Turbo users are after. If a progressive/peaky power band is desired, then stick with the Centrifugal Supercharger.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Originally Posted by beaudin223' timestamp='1382015474' post='22832035
but this kit is still weird at 7k stop to climb , with more boos or with E85 thsi can climb up to 9k ?
It was tuned that way, so yes indication says with a better fuel more timing can be introduced up top and allow for more peak. But really the goal wasn't to build a "peaky" set up here if im not mistaken, building a broad power band is/was. That means the sooner you can have the power develop peak in the rpm range and hold it there, the better. That would be more indicative of a v8 powrerband which I think most "road course" Turbo users are after. If a progressive/peaky power band is desired, then stick with the Centrifugal Supercharger.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Any more updates?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:27 AM

Yes. After this weekend I will post my final review of the kit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Old 10-19-2013, 09:48 AM

Awesome can't wait
Old 10-19-2013, 05:57 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Yes. After this weekend I will post my final review of the kit.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4
Needs more top end?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes one thing im very curious about is the feel of this kit vs the feel of a greddy kit. seems like a similar powerband just alot more power. Wonder if it has that high end drop off feel the greddy kit does.
Old 10-20-2013, 06:25 PM

Here is the long awaited review:

The kit arrived in a few boxes and was packaged VERY well. Properly sized and properly insulated boxes were used with staples and “SOS” logoed packaging tape. Not a single item was damaged. Every piece is accounted for in the parts list. Everything was labeled properly in either a box or a bag number.

Once everything was accounted for I began the installation. I did other things (flywheel swap and oil pan welding) while I was doing the install so I do not know how long it took me overall to install the kit. The intercooler was one of the first things I did as it was the easiest. The brackets for the intercooler are very thick, I do not think I will every have issues with it moving or breaking from vibration. The black wrinkle powder coated and mandrel bent intercooler pipes are routed in a very good way. The BOV flange has a quality weld and the bung for the IAT and hose barb for boost control are in ideal locations. Nothing on the intercooler piping rubs, not on the frame, not on the radiator hoses, and not between the steering rack and sub frame brace….PERFECT fitment. I did have to trim the fins of the grill on my AP1 bumper, but that was expected.

The directions are extremely straight forward; it is like building a Lego toy. Full in color and very detailed as it should be. There is a special order to installing the turbo, and the directions defiantly came in handy for lowering the turbo into place on the cylinder head. My only partial gripe was installing the down pipe, but with some common knowledge and sense, it won’t take you long to install all the bolts to the flange/turbo housing.

Once it was done being installed I was able to drive the car around on a base map my tuner sent me. Just so I could Iron out any potential issues before I took it in for a tune. I noticed I was leaking a bit of oil, but it came from not having the oil filter installed tight enough. I did put everything I had into tightening it, so I went to my local Honda dealer and purchased the oil filter installation tool for a mere 30 dollars to help aid with oil changes. Initially I was very happy with the kit, no vibrations to speak of. However I have noticed some whistling while driving at around 40-60 mph. I have narrowed that down to the fins making the noise and I may address this with a Dremel tool. Boost response is ideal; boost pressure developed with a slight lag (MUCH than a normally turbocharged car with an aftermarket manifold) and records approx. 10 psi at around 4,000 rpm.

I received the dyno sheet from my tuner and I must say I was disappointed. The peak numbers are great but I was expecting the power to keep climbing and not flat line. I did manage an impressive 383/270 on 10 psi with the creep to 13psi. Let’s talk about the tune, firstly as most know I am on 93 octane and refuse to go to E85. The car had a static value set to regulate boost at 10 psi, and then it crept towards redline to 12-13 psi. Now, the 15psi tune also had a static value to hold boost at 15psi and it did not creep. The target AFR was set at 11.9 on both tunes, and the ignition timing was set at 15 degrees on 10 psi and 13-14 degrees on 15psi. The tune will dictate the power output, but the tuner could not go any higher due to detonation issues. The timing does taper off because of knock related issues. The first full pull on the dyno with holding the ignition timing at the set value, still resulted in a flat lined dyno, with detonation. After that run the timing was set to reduce in value, and that is what I have as a final tune.

That aside, I decided to drive the car before I judged the dyno sheet. Overall, the car feels GREAT. The turbo response time is faster than most kits out there. The boost lag is almost eliminated, I would say similar to a 1.8T VW with a stock K03S turbo on it. If you’re not familiar with that engine, in other words, VERY fast response and at basically almost any RPM I have 300 ft lbs of torque on tap.

I went out on a spirited cruise through a local set of roads with two other S2000 owners and a longtime friend who has a mildly built LT1 Trans Am and I was able to put the kit through its paces. I was on my low boost setting all day. I was able to keep the RPMS down low and throttle my way through the corners. I didn’t have to hold my RPMS up high in the range to have any power like when I had the N1200 supercharger on my car. The flat line of power was not really that noticeable when I was out driving. Granted we were driving under 100mph most of the time, but still the car felt “torque” and very strong. I never experienced any weird noises or glitches from the tune or the hardware of the kit during the cruise.

An opportunity arose to race my friends trans am, It’s a 97 WS6 with intake, long tube headers, exhaust, heads, 4,000 stall converter, and the supporting valve train with a cam. I had my Hondata traction control on and he had me by a nose til 60mph as my ignition timing was cut due to traction but after that I began to pull on him. Keep in mind it was 42 degrees out in the morning and warmed to 60ish by mid-day.

All in all, I got what I expected from the kit. It IS the quickest response turbo kit available and it looks the best out of all of them. You don’t have to relocate anything and the fitment is spot on for every item included in the kit! For only being on low boost it was able to net an impressive peak hp and trq number, and more importantly I was able to obtain a nice flat torque curve for MULTIPLE RPM! I think this kit is PERFECT for track guys because of the response of the kit, or if someone is looking for a little added power but doesn’t want “wheel spin all the time” power.

Unfortunately, this is where things may turn the other way. I have decided to part ways with the kit and at this time I am undecided of what I will do next. You can find the link below to my for sale ad.

SOS TS Max Turbo kit for sale LINK
Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM
Community Organizer

For sale!? haha. Damn man you just cant be content with anything. You must be rich What are you trying to achieve?

I'll tell you what, ive been enjoying the shit out of my Novi 1200 since changing to my 3.2"/17psi config. I just cant imagine any more fun possible in this car, and it pulls awesome! I got no problems taking out 99% of anything from the factory on the road today. I ran down a pack of 600cc sport bikes the other day and it gave me a hard on. Its really satisfying to get some thumbs up and nods from some surprised sport bike riders, the car is now in a special league very few reside in. Part of what makes the S2000 so engaging and fun to drive for me is the high revving powerlant and how/when in the rpm it makes trq, and its why supercharging for me is a no brainer. Sure stomping on the gas at 4k rpms and making 300 trq would have is advantages, but does that power curve excite you in the same way in this car as hearing and feeling that same surge at 7500rpm?

Quick Reply: SOS TS Max Turbo Kit Build Thread