S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Smoke only @ idle

Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Smoke only @ idle

:::Update:::

Well guys, after hanging out with the car like this for a few more days I have have narrowed the problem down to it ONLY doing the smoke after being in idle for 10 minutes. (Does not smoke what so ever at initial start up) After running it on the Hwy for a good few minutes this thing starts to smoke instantly on idle. I didnt have to wait 10 minutes. I guess cause the engine is not cold any longer. My TCT seems to start reacting now too; only when the engine heats up. The car is feels completely strong. No bangs or clanks on the bottom head. When it boost, everyone out of the way. Although; its pretty FREAKING embarassing to come to a red light and smoke starts pouring out my pipe. One day someone is going to call OFD on me. Any how. I am so glad I have my EP3 that is keeping me afloat. Seriously. Can anyone help me out with this problem as to what it can be? I am so tired of this crap.
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

I Have had this car turbo'ed for the longest time; taking it back and forth; back and forth to get the problem resolved and it never really gets fixed. The damn sucker beggings to smoke clear white smoke. My tuner has told me several times what it was and several times has he fixed it... Not really.

Engine is built from the bottom up Inline pro low comp by hand with oil clearences perfect!@$@#!

Turbo was brand new. No leaking seals! 60-1 trim

Oil line to pan has been modified. Twice so it will not build up oil; thus hits downpipe and smokes up at idle. It does not do it when going through gears.

There was a problem with the headgasket before and that was fixed with a brand new one.

I am pissed pretty much. So much money for such a simple setup.

I am running 433whp. I am not running 800hp+ here with a V-mount intercooler and high boost and low boost switch with nitrous setup. Its a entry level INLINE PRO KIT. WHY CAN'T IT STOP SMOKING!!!! Does anyone else's turbo car smoke at idle and not through gears???????????????
Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As per repair manual:

Idle oil pressure for S2000: (AP1) 36psi

3000RPM: 85 psi.

Now, as a (albeit distant) possibility, theoretically at lower RPM (oil psi) something is not sealing, like valve guides, seals, or perhaps piston rings (!).
When you step on it, the load pushes something, like a piston ring against the cyl. wall, and creates a tighter seal? Or the oil pressure itself pushes something against something and creates a seal?

Am I completely stabbing in the dark here? Anyone?

Do a leakdown test. Just my opinion, it'll elimitane (or confirm) a trouble area.

Hey, just found this:

Quote:
I have had blown turbos blow white smoke when the seals go bad. It was not from coolant, it was oil.

Burned in the combustion chambers will give you blue, but leaking into the exhaust directly can burn white for some reason.

And if you are running a cat and bad turbo seals are the problem, it will clog very quickly and leave you stranded. The oil buildup in the catalyst will soon ignite and melt the substrate. A dead giveaway is it will smoke much more at idle, and little to not at all when spooling. Turbo seals are stronger when the turbine is spinning.

From here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=637934&st=25
Old 10-08-2008, 07:45 PM

I think you hit the nail on the head, yet I am confused. This turbo was brand new and the day I got my car back it started smoking. I feel like someone is not being honest to me or have been careless of why this car is smoking. I am not an idiot nor am I a engineer, but I think its the turbo ladies and gents and I got it from Inline Pro... NEW. I guess its time to make some phone calls (again). I am so done with downtime.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:29 AM

It's the turbo. The seals are getting very hot and the hot oil has thinned enough to go by them.

New turbos can do this. On another Honda board, Garrett turbos are known to do this when brand new.

My first question: Did you prime the turbo before starting the car the first time?
Old 10-09-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does he need an oil restricter?
Old 10-09-2008, 06:14 AM

doubtful if it's a -3 line.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ I'd point to turbo but can't provide more then that. Sounds like low pressure = leak.

Curious what oil you are running....

-Greg
Old 10-09-2008, 06:28 AM

yeah, I too am curious. If you're driving really hard and getting the oil really hot, and it's thin enough to seep through the seals, I'd try a step higher weight oil....say go from 5w30 to 10w40.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike,Oct 9 2008, 06:28 AM
yeah, I too am curious. If you're driving really hard and getting the oil really hot, and it's thin enough to seep through the seals, I'd try a step higher weight oil....say go from 5w30 to 10w40.
10w40 should be fine???
Old 10-09-2008, 07:22 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

your oil return line not pinched or backed up? is your pan or girdle tapped?

Quick Reply: Smoke only @ idle