S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Should i go turbo on a brand new engine?

Old 10-10-2007 | 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by s2kpnoy,Oct 10 2007, 04:25 PM
I got the greddy turbo kit so its a very small turbo, what about getting a boost controller, would that help at all? sorry for the noob questions.
boost controller would only add psi on top of your wastegate spring. What you could do though is disenage the wastegate controller so its always open. It would be much harder to boost that way. Not 100% sure you could do that without damaging something though. If it was a AEM, i would just set the rev limiter to 4000rpm or whatever amount you thought wise. Does the greddy emanage have the ability to do that?
Old 10-10-2007 | 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Oct 10 2007, 01:57 PM
boost controller would only add psi on top of your wastegate spring. What you could do though is disenage the wastegate controller so its always open. It would be much harder to boost that way. Not 100% sure you could do that without damaging something though. If it was a AEM, i would just set the rev limiter to 4000rpm or whatever amount you thought wise. Does the greddy emanage have the ability to do that?
This might be a stupid assumption, but the boost controller doesnt turn off the turbo, if i set the boost controller to 0? I dont think there is a way to disengage the wastegate on the greddy kit since it is internal i believe. Im not sure if the greddy emanage has the ability to set the rev limiter to 4,000 rpm, can anybody with a greddy emanage give their opinion? thanks for all your help, i just wanna get everything installed all at once while the car is at the shop, this is the reason for my question, if anything i might just wait till the 1,000 mile break in period before i install the turbo kit, but if theres a way to turn off the boost and then turn it on after the 1,000 mile break in, then thats the way i want to go. thanks
Old 10-10-2007 | 04:17 PM

You CANNOT turn boost 'off'.

Turbos run off of exhaust gasses...thats like saying turn off your exhaust piping after you have combustion in your engine...you just can't do it with a turbine attatched to a turbo manifold/exhaust manifold. This is why you can't 'turn boost off'. Especially w/ a smaller turbo, the compressor and turbine blades will want to spin quicker and take less effort to spool. You will see boost in your 1k mile break in, it's going to happen...I don't care if the locals call you 'tender foot'.

Second bad idea, a rev limiter works by retarding timing and fuel, you will be pinging 3k-4rpms all the time, it's a stupid thing to do and will hurt you more than help you.

You're going to have to suck this up and do what everyone that has some sense and experience with F/I on these cars is telling you to do, and that is to BREAK IT IN, then install it. If you don't care then do w/e the **** you want, but don't come posting 'I blowd my enjun up cuz I b00st3d 2 erlee y0'.
Old 10-10-2007 | 04:35 PM

you can also have the rev limiter cut ignition.... not just fuel and timing.

Probably in S2Knoy case, it will be harder for him to stay out of boost. But at least in my personal experience, i can stay out of boost indefinitely if i don't put my pedal into it, this probably has more to do with my log manifold and 60-1 though... You might not be able to turn 'boost' off, but you can still prevent the motor from seeing positive pressure, this of course is very hard task, but can be done, IMO
Old 10-10-2007 | 05:34 PM

Just look at any factory turbo car and see what they recommend for break in, it cant be much different
Old 10-10-2007 | 06:07 PM

Some engine builders recomend breaking their motors in with boost.
Old 10-10-2007 | 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by s2000isu,Oct 10 2007, 06:07 PM
Some engine builders recomend breaking their motors in with boost.
I have also heard this by a reputable person on the boards who is currently building a 600whp turbo'd car, he said the following:
"I have heard from people, that even a small amount of boost is good for quicker/better ring seal at break-in. Don't quote me on it because i'm not saying this. This was stated to me over the last few years by some people."
"The first 20 minutes of a brand new engine are the most critical for piston ring seal. One damn pound of boost will not blow your engine.
However, yes one constant pound of boost with knock will make some damage."

"I have driven my car for 40 minutes to the tuner, untuned. If you keep the revs low and light throttle you'll be fine. It's been done before many times by tons of people, you won't be the first one."
think about it. If you barely throttle the engine, how much boost can you build? Best thing to do is to pace yourself if you don't trust the concept. Hook up a gauge and take the car for a short drive and see if you see boost registered in the gauge.

I'm in the process of building a 600whp engine w/ the turbo I have and I will be driving it to the dyno for 40 minutes.
Again, if you keep it light and moderate, there is nothing to worry about
Old 10-10-2007 | 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Oct 10 2007, 07:35 PM
you can have the the rev limiter to cut ignitioin.... not just fuel and timing.

Probably in S2Knoy case, it will be harder for him to stay out of boost. But at least in my personal experience, i can stay out of boost indefinitely if i don't put my pedal into it, this probably has more to do with my log manifold and 60-1 though... You might not be able to turn 'boost' off, but you can still prevent the motor from seeing positive pressure, this of course is very hard task, but can be done, IMO
It can be done, but realisticly its not going to happen. We're not computers, we forget we can only give (say) <20% throttle so no boost occurs.
Old 10-10-2007 | 06:37 PM

s2kpnoy Whoever told you that is right on. Thats what the shop that did my one turbo motor said too. It seems that every shop has its own routine. Some say beat on it right outa the box especially if its gonna be a boosted application others say you need to go through this step by step detailed break in. Whos right I dunno. I like the beat on it way myself.
Old 10-10-2007 | 06:51 PM

I dont know whose right too but i definitely wont beat on it during the break-in period. Peanutbutter proves a good point in his statement: "Just look at any factory turbo car and see what they recommend for break in, it cant be much different"

Quick Reply: Should i go turbo on a brand new engine?