S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

ScienceofSpeed Releases Billet Twin Carbon Clutch

Old 11-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ScienceofSpeed Releases Billet Twin Carbon Clutch

After much anticipation, we are excited to offer the ScienceofSpeed Billet Twin Carbon Clutch for the Honda S2000.

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/dri..._carbon_clutch/

If you're making more than 400 wheel horsepower on your S2000, you know that the clutches available for the S2000 have always resulted in a car that has very rough engagement and/or very stiff clutch pedal. This is because in order to hold increased power, manufactures have had to greatly increase the friction (making the clutch very difficult to engage) and/or produce a very high clamp load (making the clutch pedal very stiff, and the wear on the engine's thrust bearings very high).

other available clutches:
Other available clutches from manufactures like ACT and Competition Clutch use factory style housings with very heavy clamp load pressure plates and very high friction clutch discs. The pedals are difficult to press, and trying to smoothly engage the clutch, like in stop and go traffic is a very difficult process. They make great clutches for the track, but awful clutches on the street. The high clamp loads also result in accelerated engine thrust bearing wear.

Other manufactures have built multiplate clutches, however, they are still stuck in using ceramic clutch discs that have rough engagement. Others have built clutches with carbon discs, but mesh the carbon with steel friction plates - making the clutch shudder very engaged and ultimately wearing out very quickly from the steel warping with heat.

By making the car difficult to operate, these clutches affect an important interface of the driver to the car - ultimately taking away the joy of driving the S2000. What's the point of having a S2000 if it is not fun to drive?

what makes the ScienceofSpeed clutch unique?
By using true carbon-carbon discs in a multi-disc design, ScienceofSpeed has been able to take advantage of the unique properties of carbon-carbon discs to design a clutch that is easy to engage with a pedal effort that is close to stock.

This clutch is the only to use true carbon-carbon discs to take advantage of the unique properties of carbon-carbon: a relatively lower kinetic friction (smoother engaging) with high static friction (the clutch holds high torque when engaged). The lightweight dual disc design allows six carbon-carbon to carbon-carbon meshing surfaces, with one organic-Kevlar surface to the flywheel which aids in making the clutch smooth to engage.

if you can make it, this clutch can handle it:
Rated for 700 lb/ft of torque (900+ wheel horsepower for an S2000) the clutch will handle BIG horsepower, and anything lower down to stock power.

high quality down to the details:
The clutch is pinned to center the assembly and then dynamically balanced within a gram. A strapless design eliminates tension straps for the ultimate durable design. Designed and manufactured in the USA with quality and materials that can't be matched from clutches made in China.

The ScienceofSpeed Billet Twin Carbon Clutch is on sale, including bearings, for $2395.00. You'll find this cost is much lower than other multiplates including ones from Exedy and Carbonetics - but features an unparalleled design and much high quality and cost materials.

reviews of the ScienceofSpeed Billet Carbon Clutch may be found here:
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...c=731098&st=50

"QUOTE (EternalLx @ Nov 15 2009, 07:45 PM)
So I got my S back today and I drove about 80 miles and only about 20 were city.

First impression when in the car was a very light pedal feel, definitely within 5-10% of stock and a serious change from my ACT setup.

So when I went to reverse out of my buddy's garage I had some doubt that it will grab like CC stage 4 but that thought was blown out of my mind as a felt a slipping range in the pedal travel!
Holy **** I thought this feels like stock! and then I hit the point where it grabs.... BUT it was nothing like the other kinds of clutches that on/off.

So through out my trip home and just going around town to rack up some miles on the disks am going to say it was a stock clutch that had a little bit of a bite but that one point is very manageable. After 5 traffic lights I was use to it."

"QUOTE (EternalLx @ Nov 22 2009, 09:12 PM)
Anyways my WOT review... theres not much to say other than it grabs very well and smooth.
High speed high rpm downshifts and great! no lock ups in the rear or anything like that.

Its expensive if you compare it to the single types people are commonly using on this board but you get what you pay for and this SOS twin carbon clutch really delivers."

"QUOTE (tony1 @ Oct 27 2009, 11:58 AM)
Good job Chris. Carbon/carbon is where it's at. While the price may not seem 'affordable' at first glance, that's actually a very competitive price in the carbon/carbon market. I definitely would never consider using a clutch that uses carbon drive disks and steel floaters like some others on the market."

regards,
-- Chris

Old 11-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will probably be one of the first 3. I was about to order another Carbonetics triple plate since that's what I use on my race car but the clutch slave cylinder they include is JUNK (well actually the adapter is) and I don't want to have to make another one myself like I did for that. Which brings me to my first question: is this designed to utilize the factory slave cylinder? What's to keep the Kevlar face from giving up far before the carbon in a road course application? How much are replacement disks (are they even available)?

Looks like a great product
Old 11-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Momentum,Nov 23 2009, 04:10 PM
I will probably be one of the first 3. I was about to order another Carbonetics triple plate since that's what I use on my race car but the clutch slave cylinder they include is JUNK (well actually the adapter is) and I don't want to have to make another one myself like I did for that. Which brings me to my first question: is this designed to utilize the factory slave cylinder? What's to keep the Kevlar face from giving up far before the carbon in a road course application? How much are replacement disks (are they even available)?

Looks like a great product
One of the advantages compared to others that I did not mention is that this clutch is designed to work with the factory slave cylinder. No reverse hydraulic components needed. There are six carbon facings on this clutch. In our experience, the single Kevlar lining does not see accelerated wear and will not wear any faster than any other clutch. The carbon-carbon material will likely outlast other clutch components making the long term costs of this clutch much lower than other clutch available. Depending on what part is required, the replacement costs on the discs will be $200-400.

Cheers,
-- Chris
Old 11-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I sure wish I had the money to be one of the first three to get this. Somebody buy my turbo and other goodies in the for sale forums!

I guess ill just have to hope that my CC stage 5 clutch will hold up until I come up with the money.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Former Sponsor

No problem, just keep us in mind. The differences between the two will be night and day.

Cheers,
-- Chris
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Has anyone with a lot of power beat on these at the strip yet ?? I'll be watching this thread seeing how they hold up for people that drag race their cars often.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS,Nov 23 2009, 05:05 PM
One of the advantages compared to others that I did not mention is that this clutch is designed to work with the factory slave cylinder. No reverse hydraulic components needed. There are six carbon facings on this clutch. In our experience, the single Kevlar lining does not see accelerated wear and will not wear any faster than any other clutch. The carbon-carbon material will likely outlast other clutch components making the long term costs of this clutch much lower than other clutch available. Depending on what part is required, the replacement costs on the discs will be $200-400.

Cheers,
-- Chris
Good enough for me, sounds like a great product

I have a Carbonetics triple plate in my other S2000 so I should be able to give a pretty good comparison to an similar product. I can say you already have a huge advantage in using the factory hydraulics.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

i was at minitoyota's place when they installed the prototype setup on EternalX's car. It definitely looked like a quality piece. I want to drive his car to see how much better driveability is compared to my Competition stge 4 setup.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets set something up at minitoyota's place. I'll bring the parts you want too.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:09 PM

I am not liking my cc stage 4 much at all. I wish this was more affordable though. Any clutch buzz etc?

Quick Reply: ScienceofSpeed Releases Billet Twin Carbon Clutch