S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

ScienceofSpeed Introduces Billet Twin Carbon Clutch & Flywheel Version 2

Old 09-02-2011, 04:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default ScienceofSpeed Introduces Billet Twin Carbon Clutch & Flywheel Version 2

Want a clutch that will allow you to put big power down with out making the S2000 impossible to drive?

The ScienceofSpeed Billet Twin Carbon Clutch & Flywheel is the ultimate high horsepower clutch for the S2000. The clutch uses advanced aerospace carbon-carbon friction liners. The clutch takes advantage of carbon-carbon's unique properties of high static friction allowing the clutch to hold over 700 lb/ft of torque while at the same time due to it's relatively lower kinetic friction allows relatively smooth engagement - especially compared to anything else that is capable of handling anywhere near this torque. We are able to maintain pedal pressure similar to the factory clutch and retain the factory hydraulic system.

Despite this clutch being known to be very smooth for the torque it can hold - we've added some innovative enhancement. The first is the use of a new disc hub design that allows compliance during engagement to cushion the mating surfaces. This adds to an even smoother engagement to reduce shudder. Due to this design, we were also able to incorporate carbon-carbon liners to both the flywheel and the first discs's flywheel side, increasing torque capacity, for a total of 8 carbon-carbon liner surfaces! See below for close up photo of new disc hub and flywheel design. Finally, we've added Nord-Lock locking washers to the pressure plate bolts - added a layer of protection for demanding applications.

This design improves the engagement quality even further while increasing torque capacity. The engagement is as smooth as we can possibly achieve in a clutch rated for 700 lb/ft of torque. We've experienced several other "high torque capacity clutches" and this clutch is by far the smoothest available - nothing comes even close. Despite the additional costs of the carbon-carbon liners, the price remains the same at $2395.00 (list price $2,499.00) - less than half of other true carbon-carbon clutches available for the S2000 - and the only full carbon-carbon clutch that does not require modification to the factory clutch hydraulic system.

for more information, please see this page:
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/d...carbon_clutch/

The clutch & flywheel is sold as a package and includes everything required for installation. We have these clutch & flywheel kits in stock.

cheers,
-- Chris

Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be able to give some impressions soon.
Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 PM

I made an order for a twin disc on aug 15 order number 21076. It still hasn't shipped. I will be receiving this new version right??
Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 PM

Cost to upgrade when I have version 1? Love the clutch when the car is moving but really nasty in stop and go traffic.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Topillogic - thank you. If possible, try to get a drive in another "high power" clutch from Exedy, Carbonetics, Clutchmasters, Competition Clutch, etc. You'll find the difference is night and day.

drzchulo147 - Yes, you will get the new design.

B5254T4 - yes, we can rebuild the clutch to the new design if you'd like. We would replace friction liners, disc hubs, and flywheel. I don't have an exact price, so please e-mail us your information to info@ScienceofSpeed.com and including your sales order number. The difference between the old and new design is about 10% - it's noticeable, but not earth shattering - so, if you say that the daily drivability is "nasty" I wonder if something else is going on. Since this clutch is a strapless design with out sprung hubs or marcel spring steel discs (all due to the high strength design required for it's torque capacity) this clutch will always have some shudder, noticeable in first and reverse only, and some noise when the pedal is depressed all the way, in comparison to a stock clutch.

It is not as smooth as a factory clutch purely based on it's rugged design - it is however considerably smoother than any aftermarket clutch that can hold even 1/2 the torque it is rated for (and I have driven most of them), and has a pedal pressure that is just like a factory clutch. With out the sprung centers, straps, and marcel discs, the clutch will amplify issues such as grease splatter on to the friction liners, worn input shaft bearing, and flywheel or pressure plate not bolted on true. So, after this description, if you feel it is worth investigating, please let us know.

-- Chris
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

i want
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chris@SoS
Topillogic - thank you. If possible, try to get a drive in another "high power" clutch from Exedy, Carbonetics, Clutchmasters, Competition Clutch, etc. You'll find the difference is night and day.
Well, I probably won't get the chance to test another but I'm realistic about the compromises involved with a setup like this. I can provide an assessment on how it relates to the ACT HD for those making the jump like myself. Promise I won't be scathing if it doesn't ride like a limo.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:19 AM

is anyone currently running this in a 800hp + s2000?
Old 09-03-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think there are a few, but the price tag is a little rough lol
Old 09-03-2011, 11:36 AM

What's physically different between v1 and v2?

Quick Reply: ScienceofSpeed Introduces Billet Twin Carbon Clutch & Flywheel Version 2