S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Science of Speed vs Comptech

Old 11-01-2010 | 01:30 PM

Default Science of Speed vs Comptech

There do not seem to be too many threads discussing these 2 systems. For those that are SC'ed (CTSC or SOS), why did you go with the system that you did? Does one offer any distinct advantages over the other? I have always thought the CTSC was the best out there because Comptech has been working with Honda forever...are the newer companies offering SC systems that are just as reliable?

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010 | 01:58 PM

Well in my case the SOS hadn't been produced yet. If I had a do over I'd have bought the Vortech but my CTSC/AC has been trouble free for 5 years now.

I do have an SOS pulley now.
Old 11-01-2010 | 02:36 PM

I would highly suggest the SOS. It is built better, cleaner, and has a far easier install than the CTSC. Don't take my work for it. Look around... SOS always wins these questions
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:01 PM
Community Organizer

Comptech was first, its reliable as hell and instillation is a snap. Some of the guys that designed this kit moved over to SOS company. Its based off the Comptech kit. Nothing too profoundly different other then a different shaped A/C which I just found out is larger and more cumbersome to work around then the Comptech. The SOS kit offers the new 1220 blowers and you don't have to put a small bend in your cross member to clear the oil line from the blower which is really nothing to me anyway. The SOS kit is a bit less in cost then the Comptech from CT. Otherwise its pretty much splitting hairs. CT-engineering has recently updated there base kit with now offering a electronic fuel/vtec controller which was never offered in the old kits. This is something SOS provides. It comes down to the fact that both kits are great, the only real difference is you get the newer NV1220 blower with SOS. I went with Comptech becuase I wanted to go with a used kit. If I was to go new I would go with SOS. but you cant go wrong with either one.
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:26 PM

^the new comptech kit comes with the 1220 as well. you can get it in sl or non-sl too directly from comptech.
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:44 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Nov 1 2010, 06:26 PM
^the new comptech kit comes with the 1220 as well. you can get it in sl or non-sl too directly from comptech.
Well then it really is splitting hairs. That would makes sense. Sorry I'm not keeping up to speed on that. Thanks
Old 11-01-2010 | 07:27 PM

Has Comptech improved upon their locking mechanism? SOS is below:

Belt Drive & Tensioner System:

* Superchargers all share one principal: they pressurize the intake charge by spinning a compressor from a belt driven by the engine's crankshaft. This means that this is the most critical aspect of the system and where we believe our system is the best design compared to others. To properly drive the supercharger system, the supercharger's drive belt must have adequate belt wrap around the supercharger's pulley and must have a way of being effectively tensioned to allow the supercharger to not slip. Our system uses a locking screw drive tensioner - just like many factory automotive systems. This system offers the best performance and easiest installation of any systems we have had experience with. It is also the most reliable.
Old 11-01-2010 | 07:27 PM

Sixes, man.
Old 11-01-2010 | 08:59 PM

Price point favors SOS, which is what I went with. The CT kit for MY00-05, lists for $6k, though you can probably get it for $300-$400 cheaper than list I think. The equivalent SOS kit now lists for $5.3k, which is at least $300 cheaper than the best price for a CT kit. Moreover, SOS has on a few occasions held Group Buys for their kits, making the price disparity even greater; I'm not sure if there are group buys for CT kits. Do note however, that the SOS kit doesn't offer a nice looking CF cover for their intake for whatever that's worth.

Also as Enlightened points out, their tensioner system is awesome. One can adjust the belt tension within a few minutes from up top. I don't believe it's that easy on the CT kit, but someone can't correct me if I'm wrong. With that said, one shouldn't have to mess with the belt tension that frequently,if at all, once that proper tension is achieved.

A potential big plus for CT is the fact that it's CARB legal. SOS currently is not, and probably won't be?

I believe the out-of-the-box CT kit is rated for 5.5 psi (w/ AC), whereas the SOS is 6 psi?

But the core components of the base kits are essentially the same I think: Paxton Novi 1200/1220 blower, self-lubed oroil fed, and a pre-programmed piggyback with lowered VTEC -- SOS's base kit for MY00-05 engages VTEC at 4500 RPMs.
Old 11-02-2010 | 03:21 AM
Member (Premium)
15 Year Member

I bought my S2000 with a non AC CTSC with a N1000 blower. After 2 years and eventually making 350whp with a maxxed out N1000 blower (3.2in pulley, AEM EMS, 650cc, upgraded ngk plugs, COMPTECH aftercooler and all the other supporting mods), I sold my CTSC for a 1220sl SOS kit from my good friend for a great price. I need to note that i never had any issues with my CTSC setup...EVER.

They are correct for saying splitting hairs. The SOS and CT kits are practically identical. However, it all depends which CT kit your comparing, the old n1000 or the new 1220 series. Either way, the SOS kit has a larger aftercooler with the options of a larger heat exchanger, and not to mention you can upgrade to a 1200 blower right away. SOS also has pulleys readily available. Basically SOS is a one stop shop for Supercharger tuning for S2000s, cant say the same for CT, or Vortech is the centrifugal blower world. In regards to your intake box comment, SOS claimed no HP gains with a box around the intake filter to direct cold air from the front of the car, so that is why they do not have one...

Conclusion, with my hands on experience with both kits, SOS is the best.

Last note, I think this thread should be stickied....

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  S2000earlyspring2010005.jpg
Views: 1476
Size:  118.4 KB
The following users liked this post:
SuprDave45 (02-22-2017)

Quick Reply: Science of Speed vs Comptech