S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

S2000 General turbo questions

Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 General turbo questions

Hi guys,
Did about 40 minutes of searching and I still have a few questions regarding turbo's. First ill mention my situation. I own a mazdaspeed 6 (turbo) thats fully bolted running 310awhp. Its a great car but its just not designed for big power. The gearing and the weight of the car really hold it back. Anyway the bottom line is im getting a new car soon.

Have a few on my mind but the s2000 really caught my eye. Evo's / Sti's are great but they are so common where I live. The mazdaspeed 6's are pretty rare which is kind of cool. A turbo'd s2000 is also not something you see everyday.

Some nice turbo kits available for this car and im looking for 350-400 reliable whp. Seems like that can happen just by installing a decent turbokit / tune. From what I have read the reliability of the turbo's are pretty solid. The install looks pretty straightforward as well. Not to mention its never trouble finding a decent honda tuner. The thing that concerns me is the compression. Are those of you rocking turbo's running lower compression? That will bump the investment in the car more than I had anticipated. I would have to pay a shop to take care of all of that. I can bolt on parts but thats about my limit. Any of you know how much that would run?

Also any notorious problems that I might not have read about? Seems pretty reliable which is what I need since I am starting medical school this august. Won't have the time to be working on little problems every couple weeks.

Sorry if these questions have been covered before but I couldn't find them via search.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

About the compression. There are reliable SC and turbo kits that go up to 10psi on stock compression and regular pump gas. Boosting more is still somewhat reliable with fuels like E85 or racefuel.

The general rule of thumb to get a reliable setup is to do it right the first time, and don't skip on a good tune. There are plenty of people on these boards that have success with kits like mase engineering, inlinepro, full race etc etc.

For efficiency, a tubular manifold is recommended to let you reach you powergoals on lower boostpressures.