S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

S/C or Turbo question

Old 07-16-2005, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/C or Turbo question

I know I probably should have searched but I just wanted to check if I'm missing anything...

s/c: cheaper, easier, less tuning, broader power band

turbo: more power once spooled up

Are than any other pros or cons that I'm missing or that I should know about. I've pretty much decided on turbo but I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything major.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:30 PM

I have turbo, spools at 3k, very broad torque band.

I have a T3, Stage III, .82 A/R, which is pretty big for T3's and it spools like mad. So don't worry about a broad power band unless you are going straight T4
Old 07-16-2005, 07:30 PM

Dont quote any of this but from what ive read the turbo has the more broad powerband because it has so much damn torque lower than the supercharger/stock.
The supercharger will have equal peak numbers but theres really no comparison from 3000rpm to before peak where the turbo rules.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by dr_sharp,Jul 16 2005, 09:10 PM
s/c: cheaper, easier, less tuning, broader power band

turbo: more power once spooled up
You're offbase. The turbo will have a MUCH wider powerband and make more power. I wouldn't say the installs are simpler, just different. Cost can vary wildly with the turbo depending on what components you use. But for parts only I'd say they're pretty close. the cost difference really comes into play becasue you have to figure out engine management and tuning with the turbo.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:58 AM

alright that makes sense... thanks for the help

so it should be more like:

s/c: easier/less tuning
turbo: more power once spooled up, broader power band

why would anyone go s/c then? are they just lazy?
Old 07-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dr_sharp,Jul 17 2005, 01:58 PM
alright that makes sense... thanks for the help

so it should be more like:

s/c: easier/less tuning
turbo: more power once spooled up, broader power band

why would anyone go s/c then? are they just lazy?
Most people are afraid of turbo becasue a few members have had issues with their setups. From what I've seen it seems like installation and tuning issues are the biggest obstacles. If you realize that it's not going to be a bolt on installation and do your research before hand and don't cheap out on the important stuff you'll likely have better luck.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

RZFD might consider the installs equal but it's certainly not the case for me. With the Comptech kit my car was off the road for 4 days whilst I got the pieces and tools together. With the turbo kit my car has been on stands for 5 weeks so far and I've still got a way to go.

Nothing comes close to the Comptech kit as far as easy to install comprehensive, non-invasive kit.
Old 07-17-2005, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jul 17 2005, 06:16 PM
RZFD might consider the installs equal but it's certainly not the case for me. With the Comptech kit my car was off the road for 4 days whilst I got the pieces and tools together. With the turbo kit my car has been on stands for 5 weeks so far and I've still got a way to go.

Nothing comes close to the Comptech kit as far as easy to install comprehensive, non-invasive kit.
We've done installs over a weekend. You just have to have everything ready to go when you start.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

takes me about 6-7 hours or so working by myself to install a turbo kit on most hondas. anyways, the turbo will be just as reliable as a supercharger if you have it tuned right (the guy i sold my turbo integra too is STILL redlining/racing on an almost daily basis with not a single problem). good luck with whichever one you decide to persue.

Kyle
Old 07-17-2005, 06:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RZFD,Jul 18 2005, 11:29 AM
We've done installs over a weekend. You just have to have everything ready to go when you start.
But how long does it take to get all the bits together?

That really is the point. The Comptech kit comes in one box with everything. Nothing to measure, cut, try again.

We're getting closer and closer to a complete turbo kit but even the LoveFab kit stops at a 3" downpipe and doesn't include the intake pipe and filter.

Quick Reply: S/C or Turbo question