S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Running the car with no fuel management

Old 04-17-2009, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running the car with no fuel management

Alright lads, here's a bit of a predicament. The turbo kit is essentially on; however, I haven't installed the injectors, EMU or the fuel pump. I need to pull my car out of the garage that it's currently in and tomorrow I'll be getting some hose clamps, some oil and anti freeze and will be firing it up to see how she goes.

My questions are firstly, can I run the car without the injectors, fuel pump and EMU if I disconnect the charge piping to the throttle body keeping it from seeing boost? Secondly, if I can do this, how will it run with the turbo hooked up but no boost getting to the engine?

Like I said, I need to get my car out of the shop and I can install the injectors, fuel pump and EMU elsewhere. On top of that, my tuner is not ready to tune my car yet! I don't plan on driving it at all; however, I do need to drive it elsewhere. Is this viable or will it completely idle like crap and not run? I remember on my turbo prelude, I had madd leaks in my tubing and the car still idled and ran fine...just no boost! Any input?

Cheers boys!
Old 04-17-2009, 08:33 PM

leave everything all installed...just keep it out of boost. Its not hard, just baby it and dont take it above 4k.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 PM

dont risk it.. rent a car trailer and a truck.. and tow that bish
Old 04-17-2009, 09:34 PM

risk what? if you baby the thing the stock ecu just runs it like it always does. I ran my car without a tune and with stock injectors, etc. Was perfectly fine.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:37 PM

Well, I had issues on my last turbo'd project on my h22a prelude and it was leaking boost like mad! One of the hose connectors wasn't attached properly and bleeding off the boost. This was with the stock injectors, ecu and an FMU and inline fuel pump. Essentially, the car never saw boost so it just ran normally in vacuum, the only difference is that there was a turbine in the way of the exhaust flow but I reckon the straight turbo back exhaust compensated for that.

In any case, I'm pretty sure if I disconnect the charge piping so the intake manifold doesn't see any boost, run the stock injectors and ecu I should still be able to drive it with no problems but I hear so many people say that the s2k is such a fickle vehicle I wanted to see if anyone has done this before.

And yes, of course! Daycare is in session and I would baby this thing until I got the fuel management in and tuned.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:15 AM

ask for advice but not take it....k
Old 04-18-2009, 09:07 AM

You can disconnect the charge piping or you can leave it hooked up. It doesn't matter. Just drive it like you're a soccer mom and it will be fine either way. The S2k isn't any more fickle than any other DOHC VTEC Honda...
Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 PM

Well, it's official. The car still runs and idles like stock...just loud as sin! Mind you I built a turbo back exhaust with the CEL fix and no CEL! The non foulers prove themselves worth again...for now.

As for the car, the flex pipe is butt up against the heat shield as well as some of the piping, so I may have to drop it a tad. It vibrates the entire car hard out!!

As for VTEC, it's exactly the same as my prelude; it's just a noise maker! Took it to VTEC just to satisfy my curiosity as to whether or not it would have the same results and yup. All noise (really loud!!) and no power.

Anyway, just letting you guys know that yes, it does run but again, you won't see me racing or driving hard out until the injectors, engine management and fuel pump go in.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 321 Posts

It's not usually a good idea to let a turbo freewheel.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Apr 18 2009, 06:56 PM
It's not usually a good idea to let a turbo freewheel.
Isn't the turbo's blades always in motion? I won't be driving the car much until I get the injectors, fuel pump, EMU and a base map to get my tuner but at the moment, here's how she's set up so the boost is not hitting the intake manny:

Quick Reply: Running the car with no fuel management