S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Round 2, car overheated agian after

Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ If u are correct, wouldn't it have overheated from day 1? He drove the car NA for a while with that head gasket even before boosted again. He then put 2500 miles on it boosted before it started overheating. I would think that blocked cooling passages would show up way before then.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^im trying to systematically break this down into simple forms to solve this. and if you think about it, a stock s2k with lowered comp would yield less heat then in stock from from a decrease in power. so it would not have showed up at the beginning necessarily..

he's noticing it with the big boost from the motor creating more heat and actually needing all the cooling ability it can get.

thats my theory at least. if the head is taken off and gasket is inspected and shows to be good, then i'll start over. lol
Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 AM

Head lifting possibly, improper install.

I wouldn't think the tune is the issue here (evans).

Get a leakdown like someone suggested **cough me** in your last thread and see where that points you.

I lol'd when someone said you have bad luck, YOU have a running motor, your luck isn't that bad.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:46 AM

this is a little off topic, but i am going to call ARP directly and get the exact torque specs for the head studs. there was a thread where the little paper in the box has listed as low as 83ftlbs and some that have shown as high as 95(confirmed by user photos of said paper). thats a big difference. that also could have something to do with this madness.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:13 AM

dam joey this is never ending!

I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out on Sunday as there should be 25+ FI s2k guys
Old 08-02-2010, 07:48 AM

You probably need better head studs, unless you have arp already and I missed it.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MADjdm,Aug 2 2010, 09:13 AM
dam joey this is never ending!

I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out on Sunday as there should be 25+ FI s2k guys
i can bring a coolant pressure tester as well and we can check it out at tech day. Sorry to hear about this Joey.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul Coughing,Aug 2 2010, 11:06 AM
i can bring a coolant pressure tester as well and we can check it out at tech day. Sorry to hear about this Joey.
I'd be interested to know the results of this test... When I had similar issues, I performed this test and it came out good.

As far as the gasket being incorrect, I seem to think he would've experienced issues from day one either boosting or not boosting. I honestly think it's happening more when he boosts because the positive pressure created is forcing more pressure into the cooling system, thereby making the coolant hotter, thereby expanding, thereby forcing it out of the cooling system. The cooling system is fighting to keep the system cool with now another heat source. Plus, when the system is less than full, the car may randomly overheat. I think last time he stated he his overflow tank was filling up. I'd say if the gasket's gone bad, most likely its in the weakest link which is in between cylinders... Anyway, thats my theory...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by teamvalorracing,Aug 2 2010, 05:46 AM
this is a little off topic, but i am going to call ARP directly and get the exact torque specs for the head studs. there was a thread where the little paper in the box has listed as low as 83ftlbs and some that have shown as high as 95(confirmed by user photos of said paper). thats a big difference. that also could have something to do with this madness.
Post up what you find out.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 AM

As far as the thermosat goes, it is never completely closed. When "closed" the aperture is just shut like 90% of the way. When "open" it just opens more to allow for more flow when needed (when temps reach around 186*, I believe).

He could putter around town without boosting, and never having to have his thermostat open. The cooling system might be able to take care of the heat with just the fan switch (i.e. - fans can cool the system when non-boosting, even with the thermostat aperture closed... would run into issues when heat raises, and thermostat is unable to open).

I also think his head might be lifting slightly. Have you checked the tq numbers on the head bolts / rods? Still within spec? If not, the head probably lifted a tad (maybe some bad gas / HOT ass weather caused it to detonate a bit).

John

Quick Reply: Round 2, car overheated agian after