S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Round 2, car overheated agian after

Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Round 2, car overheated agian after

Well, looks like the Headgasket may be leaking, or slightly leaking I dunno. This morning I was pretty hard on the car while I showed a Shelby GT500 owener what the S2000 could do .

As I was stopping his pull and starting to pull on him he shut down........

But either way right after that the car started to run just a little hotter then normal, temps went to 210F

No fast forward to this afternoon when I was doing some pulls with my Buddy in his modded turbo 911 (I was faster of course) So We did a few pulls and all was normal, but car was still running a tad warmer then usual, it was around 205F, usually its 195-200 on really hot days, today is like mid 80's

So we park for about 25 minutes, then he jumps in his modded 348 (which we both new I was faster, but wanted to see by how much) and normal driving the temp is hovering around 210F, so I am waiting for the inevitable and sure enough it goes all the way up to 215F and I shut it off, however the water TEMP guage (Autoneter) showed 240F when the car was off on the side of the road, the AEM EMS was showing 223F as the highest, so it got hot. I crippled it back to my buddies house, we fully bled the system, however there was air bubbles for the WHOLE time, like they just kept on coming . So I then drove it back to my parents house, about a 30 minute drive and though it never overheated, the temps were between 200-208F, I guess because I lost a lot of coolant and had to replace it with distilled water, so I guess thats why?

Also when I was right around the corner I did get into boost to see what would happen and the car didnt overheat, so obviously its a "not too badly" blown head gasket, I dunno.

Either way car will be parked until I can do a leakdown and replace the gasket
Old 07-31-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn dude you have no luck what so ever
Old 07-31-2010, 04:11 PM

so your sure that you have a bad HG? other than that one time, it doesnt seem like its running really all so hot. have you upgraded your cooling system any?
Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if you indeed have a leaking headgasket, you are only doing extra work by bleeding the coolant system. Combustion pressure will keep pumping air in the coolant system. I think last time you stated you only did a compression test, which doesn't/may not tell you the whole picture. Leakdown is what you need...
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea we are going to do a leakdown in a few weeks, I wanna bring the car to a Tech meet this sunday, its around the corner from where the car is parked so I will give it a good cleaning and after the show I will get it towed or drive to to Minitoyotas to do the deed if it is in fact the HG

just like last time it got an air pocket after hours of beating on it, I mean I did 10 to 15 WOT highway pulls, then shut the car off and go and drive it an hr or so later and it overheats, I bled it and then all is normal for a while I guess the HG is leaking a tiny bit of air each time?

After the bleed I can get into boost several times and the car does not overheat, kinda strange
Old 07-31-2010, 05:40 PM

yeah, bro. seems like the inevitable has arrived slowly but surely.

im fearing the day when its my turn to pull the head off again JUST to put a new stocker back on.

im on 100%stock cooling system, and with our 101' actual temp days, ive seen 205' as my hottest temp period.

if and when the day comes(99% sure its when), ill have the head resurfaced and have it inspected by my machinist and follow up with an oem HG. too many horror stories nowadays with theses cars. and i was extremely reluctant to take my motor apart to begin with, but did it in the name of reliability. how ironic..........
Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put a stocker HG in and mahle 9.5:1 pistons. THAT WOULD BE GANGSTA

come on you know you want to!
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like a HG to me. Have someone drive behind you while you get on it and see if they can smell coolant out of the exhaust. If you do decide to pull the head, clean the head chambers real good and look at them. If you see a little bit of pitting, you probably have been burning some coolant. Coolant eats aluminum when its burned from what my head guy told me. I have a little bit of pitting in my head chambers from when my Hondata gasket was leaking, but he said it wont hurt anything since its so minor.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Joey, I know you are jealous of my car and want to be like me but this is going a bit overboard.

I have been thinking about it a lot recently. Regardless of what everyone says a bolt on S2000 is only good for about 400WHP on pump gas and have decent reliability. I have read lots of post and talked to lots of people but for a person that wants a civilized street car this is true. That being said there are several things that need to be done correctly for it to be reliable.

(1) KPRO - I like my AEM but it is not well suited for the average enthusiast. I have spent an enormous amount of time trying to refine my tune but it is an iterative process and requires constant vigilance which leads to constant worry.
(2) Factory Head Gasket - No explanation needed I believe.
(3) Well made FI kit that requires minimal modifications to the car. There is a reason that so many kits like the Greddy and the Superchargers don't make big power and that is b/c they are by design more reliable as a hole. This is not to say other can't be but there are many more variables to consider.
(4) Lots of Time and Money to tinker with the car to get it right

To break or get near the 500WHP mark the bar must be raised a great deal. I estimate that to hit 400WHP you need between $8K-$10K. To take this step at least another $5K-$10K is needed.

(1) First you need to break into the motor and at minimum replace the pistons.
(2) Strengthen the drive train to handle the increased torque
(3) Even more time and money is needed and for me lots of drivability compromises need to be made.

Now there is only one exception to the above and that is E85. Using E85 the only real down side is increased oil service intervals and a small amount of money to upgrade the fuel system. So, IF you have stations around this can break the rules but you are still going to hit the 500WHP wall.

I am thinking about a few things lately and I have a good feeling I am going to be down grading.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

damn joey... listen gimme a few months in dec. - jan. lets go pick up an m5 or viper or sum shit like that. lol

Quick Reply: Round 2, car overheated agian after