S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Roots type supercharger for DBW?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Roots type supercharger for DBW?

The more I look into FI, the more the SOT roots type supercharger kit appeals to me. Unfortunately I have a 2007 DBW car and their kit is not listed as being compatible. Are there any work arounds? Is their kit adaptable to DBW?

Any other roots options for my car?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you would have a hard time getting that kit regardless of year. The company is out of business, but one of the guys still puts together kits on a per order basis. I sent an email through the website but never got a reply.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Wow, that sucks

I'm surprised no one else has done a roots kit for our car. Why is centrifugal so predominant?
Old 12-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by deepbluejh,Dec 27 2010, 09:29 AM
Wow, that sucks

I'm surprised no one else has done a roots kit for our car. Why is centrifugal so predominant?
Becuase they have been available for nearly 3 times as long, can be had for less money and reliable as hell.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:32 AM

From what I've seen, the price difference between the SOT kit and the KW/SOS kits are more or less a wash. And I have yet to see any reliability complaints with roots based superchargers.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

You may not agree, but this is indeed why they have made their mark over a roots charger. Centrifugals are tried and true and cost the least, and can be built on to make more peak power. KW doesn’t fall in the same category as CT, VT and SOS in my book. The average Joe can put the sos,ct/vt kits on himself in a weekend, not worry about engine management because they only run a rrfpr and pre programmed pnp piggy back, it can run it this way reliably forever without having to do much of anything. KW and Roots both require an aftermarket Engine management system right out of the box. Although I believe the KW now offers a re flash on their base kit so it technically can be ready to go out of the box. Instillation especially on the roots is more convoluted and requires as much attention as a Turbo. Tuning is also less forgiving as they build max boost very low in the rpm range so you’re at the mercy of a good tuner to keep running reliably. I’m not knocking the roots type chargers, power delivery is awesome, just explaining to you why they are not as prevalent as the centrifugals. It’s no accident.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aftermarket supercharging has been around since before the S2000 existed, using centrifugal blowers. Resellers and tuners just use what's available, so it's no surprise that CT started with one. Roots type blowers have become competitive much more recently, and their power delivery is of particular interest to S2000 owners because we're all living in a torque-free zone.

People with Mustangs, Camaros, and Vettes don't have a torque deficit to overcome, so centrifugal blowers suit them just fine. Their cars also outsell ours like a zillion to one (especially since the S2000 has been discontinued, taking the ratio to infinity), so their market is much larger, much older, and thus more lucrative. A lot of companies initially spent a lot of time and money developing centrifugal solutions for other vehicles, so it was simple to adapt and re-use their products for us.

However, I think we're now seeing the Roots blower growing in popularity with the OEM's, so perhaps given time it'll gain market share. The only issue I see is packaging, because you've gotta find a place to fit a big long rectangle (instead of a shorter sphere) with one end connected to the drive belt system. Not impossible; just tricky and there's less prior work to study and improve on.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:11 PM

Good info, thanks guys. I guess what I want is the low end torque of the Greddy system without having to fool with a turbo. Looks like I'm out of luck.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear you. I wanted the same thing...
Old 12-28-2010, 09:50 AM

Received a response from SOT today:

"Jamie,

Sorry, a kit was never developed for the DBW cars. One would at the
very least need to engineer & fabricate either a OEM throttle body or
aftermarket throttle body adaptor to match up to the MP62 blower inlet
port. It would be quite the development challenge for a home DIY job in
my opinion.

James"

Quick Reply: Roots type supercharger for DBW?