S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Rebuilding the Novi 1000

Old 04-17-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

UPDATE

As i said before Paxton wants to do all the rebuilds for the NOVI 1000 so they will not supply the specifics on the bearings. Also, it has been impossible to locate exactly what we need through Barden distributors (Barden makes the bearings inside the blower) due to invalid part numbers previously provided.

Today I did some sleuthing and called Barden and spoke to a representative in the OEM sales department. I asked for the bearings they supplied to Paxton Automotive of Oxnard, California. They said the last time they sold to Paxton was in 2000 and the part numbers for the only 2 bearings they supplied to them are:

Barden C 203 H JH with O-67 lubrication
FAG 206 H C with O-11 lubrication

These are both ABEC-7 bearings, which is the right precision we need. the ones italynstalyn found above for a nice price were not ABEC-7 rated.

These are current, valid part numbers directly from Barden's OEM sales department, confirmed that is what they supplied to Paxton, AND they have confirmed they are in stock at Barden's warehouse. I am fairly certain these are the ones in the NOVI 1000 because the numbers we had before specified these same sizes, but they weren't the full part number which specifies contact angle, lubrication type, and material as well.

They can only be bought through Barden distributors, not directly through Barden, so I plan to contact a few Barden distributors to get prices on these. I'm going to contact distributors in the middle of nowhere because I learned a few days ago that pricing on these bearings is completely mandated by the individual distributor and Barden won't even give a price. So hopefully I can find them for a lower price at distributors in more remote locations.

I'll update when/if I purchase the bearings with prices.

-
Old 04-17-2009, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subscribed. Good job tracking down this info man! And good luck with your rebuild
Old 04-17-2009, 05:57 PM

prices on these bearings are ridiculous, some places quoting me $160 PER bearing for the FAG 206HC. i'm starting to think the superchargerrebuild.com kit might be the best option. i guess they buy in bulk which cuts down on costs to the consumer. but i'll update with complete pricing info later. most places were closing around the time i called today.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:45 PM

Good to know. What type of intervals are good to rebuild the s/c?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Maybe we should call Barden/FAG and check the bearing numbers on what they sent to supercharger rebuilds. What I don't understand is the fact that the ME1206 is a legitimate part number and is a lot cheaper. It has to be the correct ABEC rating if it was found in an Novi 2000 housing. I can't see them using different bearings.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just send it to Comptech and get them to rebuild it for $450??

Its $450 only.....then you dont have the head ache or issues of having to do it yourself. By the time you pay for the bearings and other parts.....the extra 100 - 200 you would have to pay to get them to do it is no big deal really! AND, if you cant afford the extra 100 - 200 it would cost to have them do it.....then you shouldnt own a SC, or a car that is costly to repair, for that matter. Just my .2
Old 04-18-2009, 09:00 PM

yes i've heard the rebuild can be $450 and in that case i'd do it to avoid headache. but i've heard of blower rebuilds ranging anywhere from $300 to $600.

the point of this thread was to present valid, current information on blower parts to those for whom rebuilding themselves is the best option, because at first from some other research i did, i was thinking i'd be able to get all of the parts for under $200. also it's not difficult to crack open a blower...i've done it before, and replacing some seals and bearings should be fairly simple. i do all of my own maintenance, installs, and repairs, as do many people on this forum..

as someone who doesn't have a supercharged car and doesn't do much maintenance judging from your post history, i find it very odd for you to tell me i shouldn't own an SC or a car that is costly to repair...

but i do see your point and yes i am going to consider that. i'm going to be calling paxton/comptech on monday for a quote.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:35 PM

Yea you might just have to get that kit. prices were $150-200 per bearing no matter where I looked.
Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by SoCalIsMyLife,Apr 19 2009, 02:35 AM
Yea you might just have to get that kit. prices were $150-200 per bearing no matter where I looked.
yea this is what i was thinking as of friday. i guess if someone put out the $$ to buy the bearings in bulk and sell them as a vendor they could be cheaper. but anyhow it was fun finding out exactly what's inside there haha
Old 04-19-2009, 08:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nightcrawler7188,Apr 18 2009, 09:00 PM

as someone who doesn't have a supercharged car and doesn't do much maintenance judging from your post history, i find it very odd for you to tell me i shouldn't own an SC or a car that is costly to repair...

but i do see your point and yes i am going to consider that. i'm going to be calling paxton/comptech on monday for a quote.
so which is it then? do you? or do you not understand my point? You just contradicted yourself in those two statements........you realize that right?

Just because I dont have a SC yet, doesn't mean I cannot state what myself and many others (who also dont have SC's), are thinking. If you dont have professional experience building SC's, and want to ensure the job gets done right without the hassel and headache...............I dont need a SC'd car to tell you if you cant afford a $450 - $600 rebuilt, you shouldn't own a $5600 supercharcher.

Point being - If you saved and saved just enough to buy the SC, no point in having it if you cant afford to fix it!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the Novi 1000