S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

radiator hose size

Old 02-12-2006, 05:48 PM
ayS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default radiator hose size

hi, i am thinking about replacing my little comptech aftercooler radiator, but im wondering what size radiator hose and how long would i need it to be? thanks.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:02 PM

Measuring tape might help
Old 02-12-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

replacing my little comptech aftercooler radiator
First, we don
Old 02-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

My question is why are you replacing it? A larger radiator does not necessarily mean better performance in this case. Yeah, they look cool I guess.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Feb 13 2006, 01:19 AM
My question is why are you replacing it? A larger radiator does not necessarily mean better performance in this case. Yeah, they look cool I guess.
I haven't done any temperature measurements yet, but the little Comptech setup is amazing. I realize that the cold weather helps, but I'm still amazed. After a hard charge, the surface of the supercharger outlet is hot, but the cold side of the aftercooler itself is cool to the touch. Sometimes it is SO cool that I've wondered if it might not be very close to ambient. At the same time (after some hard running) the little Comptech radiator remains cool to the touch. One of these days I'll get the pyrometer out and make some actual measurements , but I don't need measurements to tell me that the Comptech aftercooler is getting the job done.

Skip, at this point I don't have any real data (no test sessions yet) but my (unreliable) butt dyno keeps telling me that the car is now more sensitive to ambient temperatures. It may well just be the result of my expectations, or wishful thinking, but the car seems to be noticeably faster when it's 37-degrees than when it's in the mid-70's. Is it just me (and my imagination) or are the supercharged cars noticeably faster when the temperature goes way down.

XViper, I know "way down" has an ENTIRELY different meaning where you are, but once the temps go much below 40 I start getting concerned about keeping enough heat in the tires. Do you see a power difference when the temp changes 40 degrees one way or the other?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=ayS,Feb 12 2006, 06:48 PM] hi, i am thinking about replacing my little comptech aftercooler radiator, but im wondering what size radiator hose and how long would i need it to be? thanks.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:34 AM
ayS

Originally Posted by FF2Skip,Feb 13 2006, 06:19 AM
yes, i was debating this either way. i think i'll keep the regular radiator, since it doesn't add any extra cooling.

thanks for the responses so far!
Old 02-13-2006, 11:06 AM

I never said they didn't add any extra cooling. I'm no guru, but I do remember a discussion about radiator size vs. pressure loss. I believe the conclusion was that the CT radiator was optimally sized for most applications.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:12 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 13 2006, 12:52 AM
XViper, I know "way down" has an ENTIRELY different meaning where you are, but once the temps go much below 40 I start getting concerned about keeping enough heat in the tires. Do you see a power difference when the temp changes 40 degrees one way or the other?
This becomes a very intriquing question, for which the answer may not be easy. As you say, when the temps get that low, I am having issues with tire traction with summer tires. It is rediculously easy to spin the tires in a way that would give the impression that the engine is putting out so much more power. I could say if it really is. Then, when I
Old 02-13-2006, 08:02 PM

In theory, yes. The colder the air, the less agitated the molecules are. In this regard, the same amount of mass takes up less volume. Since your intake doesn't change sizes based on air temps, you can get more air into the engine. Getting more air and fuel into the combustion chamber allows for a more powerful explosion in turn forcing the piston down more forcibly.

If cooler air temps weren't a concern(for whatever reason), aftercoolers wouldn't be necessary.

Quick Reply: radiator hose size