S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Questions for experienced FI tuners

Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts
Default Questions for experienced FI tuners

I haven't been able to find some direct answers to my questions and was hoping some of you would. A little history for you. I am a proud owner of a CTSC which I put on several months ago, I recently upped the boost to 7psi wile still running the stock injectors, ecu and a vafc2. My afr's are in the safe range but in order to get them there I have to run close to 100psi on my stock injectors, they are pushing hard and at times do little corky hesitations. I contribute this to the injectors running the line of failure.
95% of the time the car runs consistent but m concerned long term as this car sees 100mies per day, so I am thinking to be safe to invest in the next size or two up in injectors.

What my question for you all is what can I expect if say I put in 440 or 550cc injectors with my stock ecu and vafc and thats it?

Will my vafc2 work with tuning or is there another more dedicated piggy back unit to tune my car with the new injectors?

Going with a stand alone EMS or Emanage is not what I want to do. I want to do my tuning on the fly and not monkey with timing etc. I just need to tune more fuel into the curve with headroom. What are my options and can you give me some equipment options to look up, I don't even know what is on the market for me in this regard.

Also on a separate note, what psi could I safely run without timing management....current 7psi or can I go 8...9 or 10 psi without issue? At what point does the stock ecu and Comptech not work with a given boost causing some detonation? I am sticking with the 11:1 compression obviously.

My goal is to maximize power with a relatively stock s2000 management system, I am on a budget but want reliability and longevity first and foremost, so I need to know at what level this is. I am quite happy with the power i am getting at 7psi, but if I am going to invest in injectors anyway and possibly some form of piggy back management, I might as well maximize this in an efficient manner and get another psi or 2... if without issue. Turned into kind of a long thread, sorry about this guys, but I think I address some key points many folks would like to know as well. Thanks for taking time to answer my questions and give your input guys!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the 550cc injectors.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Sep 15 2008, 07:48 PM
get the 550cc injectors.
Ok, any recommendations for management or just slap them in my current configuration with no complications like idle or partial throttle?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:19 PM

personally, I'd get atleast an Emanage Ultimate. thats what I'm running right now on 9.5 psi on my VTSC and have no issues with the unit.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Stock ECU and VAFC will not work with larger injectors. At a minimum, you will need a piggyback like the E-manage Ultimate and AEM F/IC that have control over the injectors. I am using the F/IC because it is what my tuner prefers. It will give you the option to retard timing if it is necessary. You are probably looking at $1k minimum for F/IC, boomslang plug/play harness (highly recommended), injectors, and tuning.

You can add all the parts with current pulley or upgrade while you are at it if you aren't happy with the current power level. The upside is that if you want more power all you need is a smaller pulley/belt. 550cc injectors should be good for 10 psi if you want to bump it up there.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

[QUOTE=1nate7,Sep 15 2008, 08:20 PM] Stock ECU and VAFC will not work with larger injectors.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not the experienced FI as others here, but from what I understand is that with increased injectors you would need at least a piggyback. From my searching I found one person who had 550s and an 8# pulley that tuned with a VAFC, but that was the only one that knew about and found. I'll see if I can find that persons thread.

I think the Ultimate and F/IC work pretty similar and would be more difficult to tune on the fly. Isn't it possible to use the VAFC with a little larger injector like 440's? I personally went with the Ultimate.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by S2k_RN,Sep 15 2008, 08:41 PM
I'm not the experienced FI as others here, but from what I understand is that with increased injectors you would need at least a piggyback. From my searching I found one person who had 550s and an 8# pulley that tuned with a VAFC, but that was the only one that knew about and found. I'll see if I can find that persons thread.

I think the Ultimate and F/IC work pretty similar and would be more difficult to tune on the fly.
Interesting, yes that would be great if you could locate that, i'm interested to find out more about his experience with that situation . I also have a 4" sos pulley rated at 8psi, although as stated I only get 7psi, which in my current state is probably a good thing.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:48 PM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Enthralled,Sep 15 2008, 08:19 PM
personally, I'd get atleast an Emanage Ultimate. thats what I'm running right now on 9.5 psi on my VTSC and have no issues with the unit.
That's good to know that its a reliable set up option at this boost level, thanks for your input What size pulley are you using to get 9.5psi and is it an SOS brand?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky,Sep 15 2008, 09:48 PM
That's good to know that its a reliable set up option at this boost level, thanks for your input What size pulley are you using to get 9.5psi and is it an SOS brand?
I have a Vortech, the pulley sizes are different from a Comptech. anyways I'm running a 4" pulley.

Quick Reply: Questions for experienced FI tuners