S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Questions about Full Race base kit

Old 06-08-2012, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about Full Race base kit

Hey S2ki,

I am starting research for possible upcoming build. The goals are modest in the 300-375whp range with low boost. The car itself will be a track oriented street car tuned with Flash Pro. I haven't really seen much on the Full Race kit using the new BW EFR turbos. What I'm mainly curious of is:

-how many of you folks are running the Full Race stage one kit or have experience with it?
-best turbo for my specific goals? (preferably the borg warner EFR series)
-are you using the car for road racing?
-are there any pitfalls or problems with the kit?
-how much modification / cutting is required to have the kit work?
-how is the reliability (manifolds cracking etc)?

Any feedback and insight is much appreciated !
Old 06-08-2012, 04:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you plan on shooting for more than 375whp in the future? If not, there are less expensive options available.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by herecomesboost
Do you plan on shooting for more than 375whp in the future? If not, there are less expensive options available.
Probably not more than 400whp ever. The thing I like about the Full Race kit is the efficiency, seeing numbers like 375 whp @ 7psi of boost. This means less heat, less wear and stress on the internals of the engine which is vital for a road race application.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can definitely vouch for Full Race quality (I've used their parts in the past on other vehicles). The ram horn manifold is known to generate excessive amounts of heat (compared to other bottom mount manifolds), however.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made a custom kit using the full race ram horn manifold. Plan on getting it ATP wrapped if you do get it. This is what I am going to do before I put it on.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everybody knows full race is awesome stuff. There ramhorn and twinscroll mani's are from what i've seen the best you can buy. Everyone with there stuff seems to make tremendous power and you almost never hear of any problems with cracking. As for road racing with a turbo, I have zero experience. From what i've read on this forum it seems like its a very problem filled road to travel though. The amount of heat and stress generated by turbo's does not lend itself to the rigors of the track without hugely expensive upgrades. Be prepared to spend a pile of money on motors and driveline parts. Personally I would look into a supercharger setup for the track. Turbo is awesome for the street and dragstrip, but for continuos high rpm, high load stuff like your gonna see on the racetrack, you better have deep pockets to run a turbo setup. Just an opinion based on what i've read here. I'm sure it can and is done, just gonna be expensive.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by japhethwar
Everybody knows full race is awesome stuff. There ramhorn and twinscroll mani's are from what i've seen the best you can buy. Everyone with there stuff seems to make tremendous power and you almost never hear of any problems with cracking. As for road racing with a turbo, I have zero experience. From what i've read on this forum it seems like its a very problem filled road to travel though. The amount of heat and stress generated by turbo's does not lend itself to the rigors of the track without hugely expensive upgrades. Be prepared to spend a pile of money on motors and driveline parts. Personally I would look into a supercharger setup for the track. Turbo is awesome for the street and dragstrip, but for continuos high rpm, high load stuff like your gonna see on the racetrack, you better have deep pockets to run a turbo setup. Just an opinion based on what i've read here. I'm sure it can and is done, just gonna be expensive.
Even at a low boost of 6.5-7psi?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:38 PM

Any more feedback or info on this subject ?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You'll need a good aftermarket radiator, and an oil cooler at a minimum if you are looking to track the car with a turbo. A stronger diff may be needed as well.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:43 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The ram horn won't work with EFR turbos, not enough room. I personally love this kit due to it's simplicity. It's not flashy, but for most people it's perfect.

The sidewinder will fit an EFR, but it's no longer the "base kit". From what I've seen, these are going to be a lot harder to get sorted out and there have been fewer successful "street" builds.

Heat will be an issue with both kits. Also, Full Race kits will require fabrication and tweaking. The parts they send are super high quality, but it's not bolt-on. You will need to mate the down pipe to your exhaust and will also likely need to build an intake tube for the ProStreet kit. You may also need to build/fabricate your own dump tubes.

Tim

Quick Reply: Questions about Full Race base kit