S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

PTUNING S2000 Turbo System (Pics, Dyno, Pricing)

Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by EternalLx,Nov 15 2010, 06:54 PM
I am waiting for Toan to ship mine with one GTX30R
yeup!

and guess who gets to be the tester
Old 11-15-2010, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^Nice! It'll be nice to compare the dyno of the gt30 to the X.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by metros,Nov 15 2010, 08:13 PM
^^^Nice! It'll be nice to compare the dyno of the gt30 to the X.
yea. Toan said he's not sure if its gonna make much of a difference for folks with low psi. But we'll find out! either way, i want it.. why? because when i get my motor rebuilt for lower compression and i can raise the boost, this turbo would TOTALLY take advantage of it!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be installing a PTuning kit along with some other parts and tuning here in a few weeks. I will report back then.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by InductionPerformance,Nov 15 2010, 10:08 PM
We will be installing a PTuning kit along with some other parts and tuning here in a few weeks. I will report back then.
awesome!

Another amongst the group! welcome! you'll enjoy the kit very much! I love mine!!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ptuning,Nov 5 2010, 09:46 AM
I'm not sure if any sarcasm was intended with this comment so I apologize if my response seems inappropriate.

Efficient turbo set-ups, especially turbine priority designs, are difficult to wastegate, PERIOD. I think if we were to add a few u-bends to the 4 exhaust runners or a 90 degree bend at the front of the downpipe we would have better control of the boost. However, doing these things will hurt power and boost response..... things which are way more important to us.

Look closely at the exhaust flow path on our turbo manifold to turbo to downpipe and you'll understand that there is an inevitable challenge to wastegating. However, this is a compromise we're willing to make in the name of power, etc. Furthermore, I honestly don't know why anyone would want to tune for less than 12 psi with our turbo system anyways, and that includes boost by gear. If we were dealing with a traction limited FWD car, then my thoughts would be different.

- Toan
Sorry....been gone for a while.

I dont think your comment is inappropriate but I just don't see it your way. You may look at wastegate control as something of a sacrifice if the manifold is going to flow well as well as having good turbo response. I see the manifold being flawed.

If the wastegate placement was taken into better consideration or size then it would be able to accommodate your pressure and flow characteristics you seek. You really shouldn't say, well.... thats how it is and besides....who woulds want less power!? As an excuse. I think that running the kit with stock motor internals (11.1:1 CR) and ~12-13 psi of boost is reliable but on the ragged edge of tuning and pump gas limits.

There are those of us that could be just as happy with ~7psi when running the car as a daily for fuel efficiency, less wear and tear as well as control over power if you take it to something like Laguna Seca for example. You say it works, I say the manifold is poorly designed for wastegate control. This is common in the Toyota Supra exhaust manifold world (I have two Supra's) where the RPS and HKS manifolds would not hold or control boost adequatly (non-divided manifold) because of wastegate placement adjacent to the exhaust flow path.

Though, I think your turbo kit is better than most that I have seen. I don't mean to "knock on it." I wish your product and company the best of success and prosperity. I would recommend your kit, just not for me personally and I just wanted to shed light on my thoughts here from a professional stand point.

Now before all of you flip out on my comments, I'll remind everyone I work over at Borg Warner (6 years and EFR R&D) and I hold a masters in mechanical and aerospace engineering. So be kind with your comments, just as I have. I'm not talking out of my ass here.

Now......go! lol.....
Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So what would you recommend as a better kit then? I liked it better when you were...been gone for awhile. You were not kind with your comments because you are coming into a thread and saying manifold is flawed and poorly designed. When you come up with a better design on your own then sell it, otherwise take your comments elsewhere.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaToyota,Nov 16 2010, 05:13 PM
Sorry....been gone for a while.

I dont think your comment is inappropriate but I just don't see it your way. You may look at wastegate control as something of a sacrifice if the manifold is going to flow well as well as having good turbo response. I see the manifold being flawed.

If the wastegate placement was taken into better consideration or size then it would be able to accommodate your pressure and flow characteristics you seek. You really shouldn't say, well.... thats how it is and besides....who woulds want less power!? As an excuse. I think that running the kit with stock motor internals (11.1:1 CR) and ~12-13 psi of boost is reliable but on the ragged edge of tuning and pump gas limits.

There are those of us that could be just as happy with ~7psi when running the car as a daily for fuel efficiency, less wear and tear as well as control over power if you take it to something like Laguna Seca for example. You say it works, I say the manifold is poorly designed for wastegate control. This is common in the Toyota Supra exhaust manifold world (I have two Supra's) where the RPS and HKS manifolds would not hold or control boost adequatly (non-divided manifold) because of wastegate placement adjacent to the exhaust flow path.

Though, I think your turbo kit is better than most that I have seen. I don't mean to "knock on it." I wish your product and company the best of success and prosperity. I would recommend your kit, just not for me personally and I just wanted to shed light on my thoughts here from a professional stand point.

Now before all of you flip out on my comments, I'll remind everyone I work over at Borg Warner (6 years and EFR R&D) and I hold a masters in mechanical and aerospace engineering. So be kind with your comments, just as I have. I'm not talking out of my ass here.

Now......go! lol.....
I would have to disagree with you on a few points, though there is no argument to your theme.

I believe Ptuning has targeted the market of people between the Greddy kit and the Tuner sidewinders. These are the people that are car savvy, still drive the car on cruises with wives or girlfriends but also like to beat on the car at the track and has some tire spinning power. Those people that like to work on their car, not work for their car and don’t want to spend all their time with it either. For instance, the bottom mount design it's self if a compromise for power, as are the short runners that the manifold uses. However, b/c of this heat is much less or no issue, downpipe fitment and flow is increased to help negate the manifold losses, vibration is decreased........

I am sure if you are using the correct spring and control you can easily control to +/- 1 PSI at a lower boost pressure. It is fairly universally known, at least to my peers, when you move a better flowing manifold boost control becomes trickier. As you know if all else is equal the lowered manifold pressure, which is where the power is derived on a tubular, reduces the differential pressure across the wastegate reducing the driving force to bypass exhaust gasses. The only way to partially recover this loss is to achieve optimal placement of the wastegate port and take advantage of the velocity pressure but on may if not most applications the turbo and other components are in the way.

I also know that most that buy this kit will run as much boost as they can which is 10-13PSI on the stock motor with pump gas. With a good tune this is not as close to the edge as you may think. As you do know too many people push the tune closer to the edge than they should looking for more power rather than buy in the parts needed to run more boost/timing. I personally felt that 13PSI was just about right for everyday driving and around 20PSI the car was just fact enough to get out of its own way.

As for the wastegate setup, I have found that using a spring that is as close to the boost pressure you want is the best choice. If I was looking to run 13PSI I would select a 13PSI spring, thus with the losses through the intercooler system the engine would typically see 11-12PSI at the engine. This has allowed me to tune the system at as low of a duty cycle as possible to elevate chances for larger error. The perfect example of this would be in the Hondata KPRO/FlashPro boost control which has no feedback correction and a very small Pressure to Duty Cycle calibration curve.

Long story short, everybody likes to set their cars up a bit differently but as Ptuning said you have to make some sacrifice somewhere to achieve their power goals.

I also have a degree in Engineering
Old 11-16-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaToyota,Nov 16 2010, 02:13 PM
There are those of us that could be just as happy with ~7psi when running the car as a daily for fuel efficiency, less wear and tear as well as control over power if you take it to something like Laguna Seca for example.
- 7 vs 12 psi will do nothing for fuel efficiency, unless you go WOT on both, which defeats the purpose.
- Control over power? That`s what the throttle is for.

The way I see it, no turbo kit will be perfect. There are just too many variables, and there are always compromises to be made when designing one. This seems like a really nice package for people looking at >400whp with a nice powerband, quality parts and a relatively non-invasive installation.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by metros,Nov 6 2010, 07:01 PM

Will we have the option for the AEM Brute force, I personally feel that the standard AEM is cheap and I will never purchase one again.

Quick Reply: PTUNING S2000 Turbo System (Pics, Dyno, Pricing)