S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

PTUNING S2000 Turbo System (Pics, Dyno, Pricing)

Old 06-19-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blucky87
Originally Posted by Batbite' timestamp='1339567149' post='21777352
[quote name='Blucky87' timestamp='1339558040' post='21777148']
Anyone try running this kit with a 0.63 AR on a gtx3076r? I drove my car for the first time since october last week and the lag of the 1.06 kills the fun for me... how is the spool of the 0.82? pretty good? I would be willing to lose HP for a quick spooling fun little car.
The .82 A/R is great...! You will love it with your build...! Lag time is almost nonexistent, I was surprised at how smooth it built boost and felt very similar to the power curve I had with the Novi-1000 Super Charger.....but Waaaaaay more go go..!

IMO the .63 is too small and with your built motor set up will unnecessarily limit your power and what you can really do with your engine. S20000's gotta breath don't suffocate the monster

Bolt on that .82 get er' retuned.....with your setup, set rev limit to 9500, and V-tech to 5000 with no overlap.....and you will love it...! Our builds are so similar I'll email you my K-Pro tune......it will likely be really close. Can't remember though if you went to ID-1000 or 2000...?
Ah ok. I was going to buy a .63 and tune it to see what it was like and switch to a .82 if I didn't like it. But I guess i'll just stick with the .82 and save the money. Won't be going for the tune until it gets cooler down in san antonio.

I'm pretty sure you've sent me your map already. I have AEM series 2. Ive been kicking myself in the butt after getting the stupid 1.06 and then seeing your dyno. have you broken anything with your power yet?
[/quote]

Do you have any comparisons of the 1.06 and the .82? Trackforged has me set up with the 1.06 but I don't want something too laggy. When does it kick in compared to the .82? Also compared to a 6262?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:08 AM

Can anyone verify if the gtx turbos need a restrictor?
Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by p0staboy
It does not need an external restrictor
Old 06-19-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by s2000442
Originally Posted by p0staboy' timestamp='1340129280' post='21794480
It does not need an external restrictor
Ok just curious as I have a little bit of shaft play after 8000kms. How long do these turbos last before needing a rebuild? Also how much shaft play is acceptable?
Old 06-19-2012, 05:12 PM

Hmm it should last a lot longer than 5k miles for sure. Something does not seem right
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ball bearing turbos usually have a bit of shaft play. Most of the time a Garrett gt turbo will last a very long time. I have customers with 30k miles and counting on their turbos
Old 06-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the shaft should move a little but not much. Also you should be able to spin the turbine with your fingers and watch it spin freely... If you don't have a bunch of smoke blowing Id think you would be alright.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:12 AM

[quote name='andrew@ptuning' timestamp='1339257578' post='21768320']
[quote name='MrC@PTUNING' timestamp='1339468597' post='21773955']

Ok, this is for Andrew and Mr C and others at Ptuning. I think the entire Ptuning community would like a definitive answer to the oil restrictor question for your supplied garrett turbos. Please read this thread that Andrew has commented on a few times:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/958...rrett-warranty

This is directly from the garrett website.

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor?

A. Oil requirements depend on the turbo's bearing system type. Garrett has two types of bearing systems; traditional journal bearing; and ball bearing. The journal bearing system in a turbo functions very similarly to the rod or crank bearings in an engine. These bearings require enough oil pressure to keep the components separated by a hydrodynamic film. If the oil pressure is too low, the metal components will come in contact causing premature wear and ultimately failure. If the oil pressure is too high, leakage may occur from the turbocharger seals. With that as background, an oil restrictor is generally not needed for a journal-bearing turbocharger except for those applications with oil-pressure-induced seal leakage. Remember to address all other potential causes of leakage first (e.g., inadequate/improper oil drain out of the turbocharger, excessive crankcase pressure, turbocharger past its useful service life, etc.) and use a restrictor as a last resort. Garrett distributors can tell you the recommended range of acceptable oil pressures for your particular turbo. Restrictor size will always depend on how much oil pressure your engine is generating-there is no single restrictor size suited for all engines. Ball-bearing turbochargers can benefit from the addition of an oil restrictor, as most engines deliver more pressure than a ball bearing turbo requires. The benefit is seen in improved boost response due to less windage of oil in the bearing. In addition, lower oil flow further reduces the risk of oil leakage compared to journal-bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo. The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.

I had issues with a precision turbo smoking because their internal restrictor was not sufficient and I had to add a 0.035 restrictor to make turbo stop smoking. We all know this engine has very high oil pressure and from Garrett website they say to keep oil pressure between 40-45psi. Is there a restrictor on the supplied turbo from Garrett designed to keep oil pressure in the correct range for our car? I have a feeling that is not the case. Do we need an external restrictor 0.035 to keep oil pressures at recommended levels for our car? I as others would like a definitive answer to this question immediately so that we can take the necessary precautions so that we do not blow our turbos due to improper installation, which includes no restrictor.

Your prompt reply and why you feel that way, backed up with some data would be appreciated.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:40 AM

I thought the oil feed fitting that comes with the kit addresses this issue?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:43 AM

Ok, this is for Andrew and Mr C and others at Ptuning. I think the entire Ptuning community would like a definitive answer to the oil restrictor question for your supplied garrett turbos. Please read this thread that Andrew has commented on a few times:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/958...rrett-warranty

This is directly from the garrett website.

Does my turbo require an oil restrictor?

A. Oil requirements depend on the turbo's bearing system type. Garrett has two types of bearing systems; traditional journal bearing; and ball bearing. The journal bearing system in a turbo functions very similarly to the rod or crank bearings in an engine. These bearings require enough oil pressure to keep the components separated by a hydrodynamic film. If the oil pressure is too low, the metal components will come in contact causing premature wear and ultimately failure. If the oil pressure is too high, leakage may occur from the turbocharger seals. With that as background, an oil restrictor is generally not needed for a journal-bearing turbocharger except for those applications with oil-pressure-induced seal leakage. Remember to address all other potential causes of leakage first (e.g., inadequate/improper oil drain out of the turbocharger, excessive crankcase pressure, turbocharger past its useful service life, etc.) and use a restrictor as a last resort. Garrett distributors can tell you the recommended range of acceptable oil pressures for your particular turbo. Restrictor size will always depend on how much oil pressure your engine is generating-there is no single restrictor size suited for all engines. Ball-bearing turbochargers can benefit from the addition of an oil restrictor, as most engines deliver more pressure than a ball bearing turbo requires. The benefit is seen in improved boost response due to less windage of oil in the bearing. In addition, lower oil flow further reduces the risk of oil leakage compared to journal-bearing turbochargers. Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section. Again, it is imperative that the restrictor be sized according to the oil pressure characteristics of the engine to which the turbo is attached. Always verify that the appropriate oil pressure is reaching the turbo. The use of an oil restrictor can (but not always) help ensure that you have the proper oil flow/pressure entering the turbocharger, as well as extract the maximum performance.

I had issues with a precision turbo smoking because their internal restrictor was not sufficient and I had to add a 0.035 restrictor to make turbo stop smoking. We all know this engine has very high oil pressure and from Garrett website they say to keep oil pressure between 40-45psi. Is there a restrictor on the supplied turbo from Garrett designed to keep oil pressure in the correct range for our car? I have a feeling that is not the case. Do we need an external restrictor 0.035 to keep oil pressures at recommended levels for our car? I as others would like a definitive answer to this question immediately so that we can take the necessary precautions so that we do not blow our turbos due to improper installation, which includes no restrictor.

Your prompt reply and why you feel that way, backed up with some data would be appreciated.

Hello S2000442, and anyone else watching this thread.

The following post is in regards to the oil restrictor question pertaining to PTUNING turbo kits ONLY. Running the following Garrett turbo's

GT-3076
GTX-3076
GT-3582
GTX-3582
GTX-3576

We run and supply every PTUNING S2k kit with a 0.035" Restrictor.

Pictures below

Oil pressure entering a ball-bearing turbocharger needs to be between 40 psi and 45 psi at the maximum engine operating speed. For many common passenger vehicle engines, this generally translates into a restrictor with a minimum of 0.040" diameter orifice upstream of the oil inlet on the turbocharger center section.

For the most part this does pertain to about 75% of all passenger vehicles today. However we found, that with the S2k's High RPM oil pressure we needed to utilize the smallest restrictor Garrett recommends for BB type turbo's. Which is why in turn we run a 0.035" over a 0.040" size restrictor.

I hope this helped answer some underlining questions. Thanks Drew

Quick Reply: PTUNING S2000 Turbo System (Pics, Dyno, Pricing)