S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

preping for S/C

Old 07-12-2006, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preping for S/C

Im about to go FI on my S and i want to have a leakdown and compression test done to make sure my engine is in good shape to handle the S/C. is there anything else that should be done before the S/C is installed? also offhand how much should a leakdown and compression test cost. thanks
CHRIS.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:08 PM

I talked to a few shops and they said that a leakdown and compression test isnt needed unless you think theres a problem. should i skip the compression/leakdown and just go get a baseline before i have the S/C installed? thanks
CHRIS
Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM

I'd also like to hear some input on this. Although my situation isn't exactly the same, it is similar in the sense that I would like to increase my power level; so I would like to see what precautions I can take with regards to the motor. Are there any other more comprehensive tests other than the leakdown and compression tests that can be done to get a better idea of the condition the motor is in?
Old 08-08-2006, 04:16 PM

if you dont have the banjo bolts installed in your car you might want to check if you have an 02 if your an 01 you deff need them, i would do it for cheap insurance.........
Old 08-08-2006, 06:47 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If I were you for my own piece of mind I would just run the compression test. Leakdown not usually needed unless compression test fails.
Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Venomous S,Aug 8 2006, 10:47 PM
If I were you for my own piece of mind I would just run the compression test. Leakdown not usually needed unless compression test fails.
Would this also apply to my situation?

Basically do the compression and leakdown tests give you a good idea about the condition of the actual cylinders/combustion chambers, pistons, valves etc? Would any nicks, scratches or scoring in the cylinders be represented with the results of these tests?

I understand how these tests are performed and how they work, but I'm more concerned about how sensitive they are...meaning how good they are at picking up any damage to the actual cylinder walls and piston heads rather than just the piston rings and sealing of the valves...
Old 08-08-2006, 07:14 PM

[QUOTE=CaptKirk,Aug 8 2006, 06:59 PM] Would this also apply to my situation?

Basically do the compression and leakdown tests give you a good idea about the condition of the actual cylinders/combustion chambers, pistons, valves etc?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 PM

What BlownAP said...

see on the FI side.

Erick
Old 08-09-2006, 04:01 AM

Since you're going to have the valve cover off to change plugs a valve inspection/adjustment wouldn't be a bad idea.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by BlownAP,Aug 8 2006, 11:14 PM
the compresion test tells you the condition in which your engine is in.

if your compression is down then you might want to consider a leak-down test, it will pin point where you are losing the compression, i.e. intake valves, exhaust valves, rings.....

what leads you to suspect you have damage to the cylinder walls?.........
Hmm, I wonder how a leakdown test would work with a turbo kit already installed... Would you disconnect the charge pipes going to the IM and coming off of the turbo to get an idea of the leakage?

And nothing explicitly leads me to suspect damage to cylinder walls. Just sheer paranoia mixed with the fact that I have 90,9xx miles on the car. lol. I just like to be VERY cautious.

Thanks for all the info though

Quick Reply: preping for S/C