S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

possible rod knock?

Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible rod knock?

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a237/Boo...nt=8d093661.flv

My setup:
Full race gt3076
9:1 CR Laskey/benson sleeved block
Supertech valvetrain.
I ran Castrol GTX dino oil about 1k miles ago

Its sounds worse in the cell phone video. Nonetheless it's the noise my motor is making.

I took a stethoscope to it and that noise seems to be louder near the intake side, right under the #4 runner (by the wall). It's really pronounced when I put the needle on the thermostat housing.

I also pulled the plugs this morning and found lots of oil on plug #2. I can also see oil when I look down into the spark plug hole.
here's some crappy cell phone pics:
1-2-3-4

4-3-2-1

Whats the diagnosis doc?

and what are possible solutions?

Thanks in advance for any info

somebody please tell me that it goes away when you swap the TCT!

Paul

Edit: also posted in UTH forum.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 AM

I'll try to get a decent camera to take better video. Its really distorted in that one.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:13 AM

Paul, its doing it on idle now or is it just the vid?
Did you put more oil in it and get it off the "E" when you got home?
When your car was on the dyno it was the cleanest one (as far as stuff coming out of the tail pipe), that oil on the plug is very odd.

Did you pull the valve cover yet? Your valvetrain sounded really super loud compared to mine (which you cant even hear).. All I hear is injector on mine.

That video is not how it sounds in real life, just so everyone knows..
It sounded exactly like my car did when the TCT went bad, fine at idle but when you get the RPM's up you could hear it and he said it was louder under load.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:29 AM

Tct is a good place to start... What's the mileage on the car... Plus if it has been low on oil it's a good possibility it's that.

Also for the cost of s tct to see whether it's that or not is minimal compared to a new engine if tct fails !

While your doing that you can do valve train

Hope you sort it
Old 02-17-2010, 11:32 AM

Paul I wish you lived closer to me damn it!
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by TRBOKEV,Feb 17 2010, 12:13 PM
Paul, its doing it on idle now or is it just the vid?
Did you put more oil in it and get it off the "E" when you got home?
When your car was on the dyno it was the cleanest one (as far as stuff coming out of the tail pipe), that oil on the plug is very odd.

Did you pull the valve cover yet? Your valvetrain sounded really super loud compared to mine (which you cant even hear).. All I hear is injector on mine.

That video is not how it sounds in real life, just so everyone knows..
It sounded exactly like my car did when the TCT went bad, fine at idle but when you get the RPM's up you could hear it and he said it was louder under load.
Hey Kevin, I haven't topped it off, I had to move the car out of the way so I just started it to move it. It's on the lowest "x" But its definitely louder at idle now.

I got the worm gear, thanks! I'll swap that out and take a look at the valvetrain hopefully later tonight and just do an oil change while I'm there. I'm not sure what to think of the oil on the plug either. Maybe a damaged ring or piston? but you're right, it was the cleanest "burning" of the 3 that mased tuned. We also couldn't hear anything funny on the dyno during part throttle/full pass pulls. I started hearing it when I went for the street drive right after the tune. This video was the first time starting it since coming home that night (45 miles drive)

Phil, I have about 7k on the laskey block, supertech head, waterpump, and about 140k on all the other stuff. If the new tct/worm doesn't fix it, I've read to pull the oil pan and look for metal shavings. Would the shavings show with an oil change I wonder?

How's your 600hp daily?
Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM

If u pull the pan look for a bronze colour in the oil if the bearings are screwed u will see bronze flake stuff. U will notice it. Did this on an s a few weeks back and pulled the caps as it swallowed the vortech fins :-/

I am sure it will be tct alot of people in the changed there's was it new with the engine install

how is mine hmm fun for my daily drive. Having a wee tweak for more boost when Mase is over in a few weeks

I hope you get to the bottom of yours asap
Old 02-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Before you pull the pan, take the hose off the valve cover nipple to inspect for major blow by. It'll chug smoke out, noticebly.

Rod knock, and melted pistons sometimes sounds similar. its too hard to tell in the video, but the noise definately doesn't sound good.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by phils2k,Feb 17 2010, 12:54 PM
If u pull the pan look for a bronze colour in the oil if the bearings are screwed u will see bronze flake stuff. U will notice it. Did this on an s a few weeks back and pulled the caps as it swallowed the vortech fins :-/

I am sure it will be tct alot of people in the changed there's was it new with the engine install

how is mine hmm fun for my daily drive. Having a wee tweak for more boost when Mase is over in a few weeks

I hope you get to the bottom of yours asap
What did you have to replace at that point? Just the bearings? I know mine can be worse, but was hoping for a less wallet devouring solution
Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM

[QUOTE=ya@inlinepro,Feb 17 2010, 01:13 PM] Before you pull the pan, take the hose off the valve cover nipple to inspect for major blow by.

Quick Reply: possible rod knock?