S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Ported Heads - Mild or Wild

Old 01-26-2009, 03:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ported Heads - Mild or Wild

So I was talking to TurboKev and we were debating the S2000 cylinder. We are looking into porting, polishing ......... to get better flow with FI. I argued that a $3000 port and polish with valves..... wont net you much if you are evaluating on dollars per horse power. My feeling has always been to port the head myself. I bought a good book several years ago on porting and spent some time working with a local porter. I personally would not pay over a $500 to have a head ported based on the goals I want. I have found in the past there are only marginal gains between a mild port and wild port. The biggest differences are going to come from the mild port and oversized valves. In a mild port you will deshourd the valves, clean up the intake and smooth the exhaust then gasket match, all which an amateur can do safely. For a wild port the expert will know where they can remove material effectively and how far they can go. Don't get me wrong a professionally ported head will outflow the mild head but dollar for dollar unless you are racing the car competitively it is not worth it.

That being said, what do you think the F20/22 head needs and what have you done? Please feel free to share items like, valves, valve seats, valve angles, springs, spring seats, oringing...................
Old 01-26-2009, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The f series heads are very efficient from the factory. That said it can be cleaned up some and oversized valves installed. I think sideways has one fs in the fs section or you could ask him about his experience.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ChefJ' date='Jan 26 2009, 05:01 PM
The f series heads are very efficient from the factory. That said it can be cleaned up some and oversized valves installed. I think sideways has one fs in the fs section or you could ask him about his experience.
Thats what sparked this discusion. $3k seems very steep in my mind but I am sure not everyone will agree.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

did the port and polish myself and netted around 15hp NA.. dyno proved
i also ported the IM .. oversized valves arent that needed ..its good if you bore the block to bigger displacement..
Have no time to post pictures of the port..
Maybe later.
stefce
Old 01-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There is a lot more to ported heads than most realize. Bowl shaping is extremely important and it is easy to upset the flow with incorrect porting changes.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...rticle_id=6500

Old 01-26-2009, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways' date='Jan 26 2009, 06:17 PM
There is a lot more to ported heads than most realize. Bowl shaping is extremely important and it is easy to upset the flow with incorrect porting changes.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-ar...rticle_id=6500
I agree that it is more complicated in the Wild version. This is why CNC heads are so nice, once a head is developed they can for all entisive purpses make a perfect head. As your article states it is important to show an even flow and increased flow. My argument is based on $ / HP gained.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd' date='Jan 26 2009, 07:59 PM
My argument is based on $ / HP gained.
yeah i c where ur argument comes from but when you wanna push your kit to the limit and more a ported head will help you hit your power goals.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on your power goals and what engine safety you are looking for. You can gain the same hp as a 3000 dollar port job by turning the boost up 2 pounds, but if you are maxed out and are just looking to squeeze a few more out then you are going to have to go with a port.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote name='ChefJ' date='Jan 26 2009, 10:09 PM']It all depends on your power goals and what engine safety you are looking for.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sideways' date='Jan 26 2009, 09:53 PM
How about power increase of fifty, sixty, even seventy horsepower on a boosted S2000. Don't belittle good head work.

IMHO adding a properly prepared race head is one of the best things you can do and puts you a step ahead of the crowd. It keeps on giving as you add more boost, fuel, N20, etc. and allows you to gain even more. It also gives you peace of mind when you turn up the redline into the 9500+ range and enjoy the total power band.

Plenty of guys can port an S2000 head but very few know what they are doing with flow bench testing to back it up.
^^^^ ughhhh... Let me tell you my situation.. I assumed the same thing that you are telling everyone..... 50.. 60.. 70.. hp increase.....

I just installed my ENDYN head and intake manifold that was supposed to net me 15-17% more power.... WELL.... lets just say... we installed the head (Looked great from the outside) and had my tuner mess around with the maps on the dyno! We did have to add a little bit of fuel to the midrange but nothing on the top end... After it was all said and done... we gained MAYBE 10rwhp...

I emailed larry and didnt get necessarily a straight answer, basically said cam position tuning would help etc...

So now I have 2500 invested in this head that is essentially doing nothing for me.... I am still on stock bore 87mm and can only go up to effective 8psi with my blower... thats it!!!

So when it comes to headwork... lets list some machinists that actually iknow what they are doing......

I still think ENDYN is a good shop even after I didnt gain anything... he seems like a smart guy... and his website is SUPER BAD ASS... but... I just didnt see the results....

Quick Reply: Ported Heads - Mild or Wild