S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Piecing together a kit?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piecing together a kit?

Hi Guys,

I'm just wondering how many of you guys piece together a kit one by one like building a lego block, rather than acquiring a complete set?

Saving for a house and funding my automotive passion is damn near impossible, but collecting parts for a turbo kit down the track is quite feasible.

For example, buy a high quality turbo this year, intercooler the next etc.

What are the pros and cons of doing the above?

Let me know!

Cheers
Old 04-29-2014, 02:33 PM

Pros would be up front cost-savings, biggest con would be the time it would take to find the parts you want for the price you're willing to pay. I've pieced together 3 turbo setups now, sold 2 and currently almost done with my third. Before buying parts, figure out how much power you want, and what fuel you have access to. Then use these 2 factors to decide what parts to get.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're best bet to piece a turbo kit over time is to buy a Kit just piece by piece.

I would look into Full Race's kits.

This month or this year, buy the turbo you want, then at the respected time frame, buy their turbo manifold, etc..

That's pretty much what I have done.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:40 PM

Headache.

Just buy a shelf kit as a baseline. It's much easier and less stressful. Most kits enable you to pick and choose important components (i.e.) turbo size, injector size, ems.

One caveat, most kits are NOT complete kits. You will have to buy extra parts to complete your setup (less stressful than starting from scratch).
Old 04-29-2014, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a huge headache and you honestly don't save any money. It's cheaper and less aggregation to just get the kit. I made the mistake of piecing mine and changing things too many times.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 PM

I'm piecing my kit together also. I'm about $2500 now and I still need a turbo, clutch kit, and lines stuff lol. I'm sure it all depends on what power your aiming for. I probably be around 3k by time I'm done.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:43 PM

What i'm doing cost even more than just buying a nice kit right away. Back in 2007 i bought an InlinePro Stage 1 turbo kit directly from InlinePro (This was before they had any really good turbo kits out). Fast forward to today. I still have the kit (Brand New never installed sitting in my closet) but now i want a equal length manifold.

So i had to figure out what manifold would work with using most of the inlinepro kit. Well I thought about the Full-race pro street ram horn since it places the turbo on the bottom similar to the InlinPro log. But i didn't want to spend $1k on just the manifold.

I ended up getting what I think is a really good deal on a used top mount PFab ELT manifold and downpipe, and bought that. So now I just have to get the downpipe i have for my inlinepro turbo kit fabbed up to fit the downpipe off the Pfab downpipe and of course deal with the hot side charge pipes.

So yeah, i've had a brand new turbo kit sitting in my closet the past 7 years....... And this summer i'm finally going to install it. haha.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:10 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

hey I have a almost full kit that ill sell you for a pretty cheap price (1500). it doesn't have any ebay parts either. message me if you are interested.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:31 PM

I did mine this way but I had majority of the parts I needed from my previous car so it didn't take as long
Old 04-30-2014, 04:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Every time you have money to buy part ... Save it. Put it somewhere like in a separate account.

When you have enough .. Buy a kit.

Who knows were you or your car will be next year.

Quick Reply: Piecing together a kit?