S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

P1361 - HELP

Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1361 - HELP

Hello,
My car has been running poorly forever. Forever forever. I'm slowly going crazy. I have done the following:

Replaced spark plugs, swapped coil packed, checked TPS voltage, replaced MAP sensor, oil press ok, air fuel ok, checked all hoses and vacuum lines, checked are black box connections. Car has new short block and blower.

So, that was for that last post. I finally got a CEL the other night. The last time I got a CEL it cleared by itself before I could pull the code (my fault). The car runs rough and has 1/2 the power. Also, when I change the spark plugs, the car runs incredible and smooth as can be. Then about 2-3 days afterwards, it goes back to running rough.

I was leaving the airport on Sunday night, started the car and noticed that it started up great. Felt smooth and was pulling hard. I go to merge on I-95 and as soon as I hit 6k, it felt like I hit a wall. Felt like complete fuel cut off. CEL came one. Put it in 4th and tried to accelerate and the revs literally didnt climb. Oil pressure was as normal as always. A/F was normal. Pulled the car over and shut it off. Checked everything, all looked normal. Turned the car on and it started fine. Did a few 100ft tests on the shoulder and then drove home gently but it actually felt fine. Got the code pulled yesterday. P1361. Something about a cam sensor?

What would you recommend I do. I was told by my Honda mechanic that there are 2 of these sensors. Should I just replace the sensors? Does this sound like it could be causing my problem I have been having with terrible driveability? Any help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully this at least points a direction because my mechanic was starting to go crazy himself on what the problem could be.

Thank you,
Anthony
Old 09-26-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

That is your Top Dead Center 1 sensor. It's plugged into the side of the rear of the engine on the driver's side. TDC 2 is plugged into the top of the rear of the engine. I recall someone posting that this sensor was loose or the harness came off. If it's not loose and the harness is tight, I guess replacing the sensor would be the logical thing to do.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me guess you are vortech supercharged. Same problem here bro I replaced the sensor and hasn't happend again since. When that happend to me my car went into limp mode wich will not allow the car to go over 3k rpm. However if you turn the car off then it will turn limp mode off. My mechanic said the same thing and he didnt want to replace both sensors and charge me for it so I had to take it to honda. So my guess is that once the cell came on your car went into safe mode hence "hitting a wall" hopes this helps

Jesse P
Old 09-26-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is exactly what happened. Turned the car off and then back on and it seems "fine". Still runs like cr*p but it isn't in limp mode. The car has been running poorly forever and I just hope this is it. I've checked almost everything and with a new short block and blower, you can see why I am so frusterated. I ordered two sensors today and will install on Thursday. I have also read that when the engine is removed, the sensors can be easily damaged. My engine was removed when the short block went in so that is a possibility. Before the engine blew, I wasn't experiecing this so tthis could be it. We shall see
Anthony
Old 09-26-2006, 06:24 PM

good luck bud I feel your pain, but why did you order two sensors it was only one?
Old 09-27-2006, 07:06 AM

I've been dealing with this issue for over a year now too. The fix came when I pulled the Vortech Blackbox. This was after re-wiring/soldering the box in to make sure it wasn't a wiring problem. I then decided to just pull the box and walla... everything is working great.

I'm currently just using the MAP clamp and looking for a new engine management. Vortech wanted $900 for a new split second iginition box.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by futomame,Sep 27 2006, 09:06 AM
I've been dealing with this issue for over a year now too. The fix came when I pulled the Vortech Blackbox. This was after re-wiring/soldering the box in to make sure it wasn't a wiring problem. I then decided to just pull the box and walla... everything is working great.

I'm currently just using the MAP clamp and looking for a new engine management. Vortech wanted $900 for a new split second iginition box.
What instructions did you use to wire up the Vortech box. It has been mentioned on many occasions that the written instructions in the Vortech manual is INCORRECT. Those who followed those instructions ended up with all kinds of problems. Only the wiring diagram was correct, but quite a few people never even looked at that.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:56 AM

I just rewired my whole box solder and shrink tubed everything, Havent had a cel since I did that so knock on wood for me
Old 09-27-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 27 2006, 07:54 AM
What instructions did you use to wire up the Vortech box. It has been mentioned on many occasions that the written instructions in the Vortech manual is INCORRECT. Those who followed those instructions ended up with all kinds of problems. Only the wiring diagram was correct, but quite a few people never even looked at that.
thats funny you say that Dave, because when I rewired my box recently I just followed the wiring diagram
Old 09-27-2006, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by djpeak10,Sep 27 2006, 09:58 AM
thats funny you say that Dave, because when I rewired my box recently I just followed the wiring diagram
As you should. However, there are many who didn't. They wired the thing up using the written instructions and found themselves with left over wires. They either didn't think anything of it and left them as is or maybe they "winged it" and just hooked them up to what they thought was logical (God only knows ).
In fact, I crimped all of my connections (triple crimped) nearly 3 years ago and have never touched them since. Never a problem.
As Slows2k indicated, a few of those mis-wired boxes were repeated sent back as duds, never knowing if it was actually a problem with the box itself.

Quick Reply: P1361 - HELP