S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Oil return line fitting

Old 07-20-2010, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil return line fitting

SO I droped my Oil Pan off last week to have it taped and get my fitting welded into place.
Yesterday I go to pick it up and I'm looking at it and thinking "wow this is a crappy welding job & something just doesn't look right."

At the time what wasn't right about it just wasn't clicking in my head UNTIL I got home. Now I'm looking at going wow it's low as hell. This isn't where I said to put it. I'm going to be blowing seals without a doubt.
Thinking back I can specifically recall saying "as high up as you can get it, inline with the drain plug." So I call the shop back up, obviously upset, he says he'll fix it for me.
Now lets forget about how much further this is going to set me back schedule wise, and I have to make a third trip out in morning Phoenix traffic to the shop 40 miles away.

My Main question and concern now is, will fixing this create problems for me? Such as pressure issues and weak spots?
Should I request to have them replace the oil pan and do it the right way?

The guy was a Mechanical Engineer (so he says) shouldn't he have looked at it himself and thought "wow this may have a problem with oil backing up into the line eventually causing blown seals??"
Old 07-20-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure I follow you. If the turbo is higher then the oil level in the pan, gravity will drain it fine. The oil doesn't have to "fall" out of the line into the pan for it to drain. If the turbo isn't higher than the oil pan, then moving the fitting higher just makes it less likely for gravity to drain it.

Also, I don't know for sure but I thought the oil coming from the turbo was pressurized? Even a little bit of pressure would force it into the pan with no chance of backing up. I'm sure someone can correct me.

I'd leave it as is unless someone has a very clear reason why you should change it. Some kits drain the turbo into the oil drain plug, so this is already better.
Old 07-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My return line is the oil drain plug. Blowing seals??? nah.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

tap the girdle, even the top of the pan will back up
Old 07-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Every person and the professional shops (Inline-Mase) have mixed Opinion on where to put the oil return .

Some ppl have griddle 45% and the other ppl on the forums have it in the highest spot in the pan you should be good.

But I would go a little higher than that. Don't mount it yet.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixing that, if done properly won't cause you any problems. Biggest thing is to make sure the pan is free of any metal particles and dirt.

Put the drain as high as you can, and make sure the oil drain line is as big as possible, -10 preferred to give it plenty of room to drain.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:20 AM

im running my drain tube about the same height and just using the largest dump tube i could use and cant tell any issues of backing up oil. i guess i could imagine if you used one of these tiny braided lines that some people use to drain oil that possibly there could be a buildup of backpressure on the line causing blown seals... but it doesnt look like your planning to do that. i think you'll be ok.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:07 PM

let me put it this way as we performed a test in our shop using a clear bowl, a clear 1/2" tube and some red dye/water mix.

the highest level at which the oil sits at in the pan is also where the oil will sit in the return tube if the return is at or below that level. follow?

here is a fun-filled diagram to squash the confusion... or add more to it... depending on your mental state. lol

Old 07-20-2010, 12:09 PM

so 2 and 1 would be holding oil pretty much constantly and would basically be an extension of the oil pan with limited space to disburse incoming oil.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Nice diagram

Quick Reply: Oil return line fitting