S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

oil pressure sender unit

Old 12-25-2008, 05:17 AM
roi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure sender unit

Just in the middle of the turbo instalation and I was thinking of whether the AEM EMS reads the OE oil pressure sender unit or not
Old 12-25-2008, 06:36 AM

Unless you have an aftermarket one, yes. If you install an aftermarket one, one that gives an actual reading vs. the on/off switch it is now (switch flips when pressure drops below a certain threshold, and the oil light comes on), you can remove the OEM one, as the EMS will still be seeing an oil pressure reading.

You will need it, unless you have a better sender unit installed (like the AEM one). If you do not run any sort of sender unit, the EMS will think there is no oil pressure, and will throw a code (I believe the OEM CEL's are still retained in the EMS... just no OBDII port to clear/read it).

John
Old 12-25-2008, 08:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No you do not need any form of oil pressure sending unit for the AEM.

AEM EMS will only throw codes if it is programmed to do so.

I have 4 gauges and the only one hooked into the EMS is the wideband, and that is only for tuning purposes. I removed the OEM oil pressure sensor long ago and replaced it with an aftermarket one that is on the dash but is standalone and is for peace of mind more then anything, not for the EMS to use.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 AM

yes the aem1052 can read a oil pressure, you will need a aem oil pressure sending unit, pin the sign to d plug and setup in aem, the range, you will need a serial guage to see read out
Old 12-26-2008, 12:45 PM
roi

Originally Posted by 2big4aS2000' date='Dec 26 2008, 07:16 AM
yes the aem1052 can read a oil pressure, you will need a aem oil pressure sending unit, pin the sign to d plug and setup in aem, the range, you will need a serial guage to see read out
I have the serial gauge unit and also an aem oil pressure sender and gauge
I just thought of getting rid of the OE unit and just wanted to be sure I will not have any problem with Vtec and a cell on my cluster
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM

You can toss the OEM unit, I believe. Its basically an on/off switch for the oil pressure oil light on the cluster.

Worst case scenario is it produces an oil level warning light on the dash. If so, put it back in. I would remove it, plug that part of the oil T fitting, and see what happens. No light, replace the T fitting with a normal straight through one.

John
Old 12-26-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jwa4378' date='Dec 25 2008, 10:36 AM
Unless you have an aftermarket one, yes. If you install an aftermarket one, one that gives an actual reading vs. the on/off switch it is now (switch flips when pressure drops below a certain threshold, and the oil light comes on), you can remove the OEM one, as the EMS will still be seeing an oil pressure reading.

You will need it, unless you have a better sender unit installed (like the AEM one). If you do not run any sort of sender unit, the EMS will think there is no oil pressure, and will throw a code (I believe the OEM CEL's are still retained in the EMS... just no OBDII port to clear/read it).

John

this is incorrect. The OEM Oil pressure sending unit is NOT connected to the EMS or the stock ECU, it is simply a switch for the dummy light on the dash... if completely removed there is no CEL. Also the EMS does not throw CELs for any reason, there are no CEL codes with the EMS. You can however program it to turn on the CEL light for some sort of warning. I do believe you can wire in an oil pressure sensor to the AEM and allow the EMS to see actual oil pressure at all times... but am not sure on the details or what pin that uses...
Old 12-26-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oops didnt read the whole thread... I see you have noticed that the original post was incorrect... sorry!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:42 PM

^ Yeah, I meant the oil light in the dash, not a CEL proper... Bad terminology on my part.

John
Old 12-27-2008, 08:00 AM

I installed an oil pressure gauge and kept the light as well. I went to a hardware store and got the correct brass t-fitting and redusers. It looks good and there are no oil leaks. If the car came with the oil light then why not keep it as a backup to the gauge.

Quick Reply: oil pressure sender unit