S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Oil pressure, oil temp - turbo setup

Old 09-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut,Sep 2 2010, 06:32 PM
Your oil temperatures are way too high. Ideally, you don't want them higher than 235F or so. Part of your oil temperature problem is the oil being too thick; the thicker oil sucks up power and that power is turned into heat. Also, it kills your gas mileage. But I'm guessing the thick oil only accounts for ~10-15F. You are still way too hot.

I bet part of your oil pressure problem is the -8AN line. You need to go bigger as the small lines cause too much of a pressure drop.
I appologize but this is misinformation.

higher flow=less pressure. its simple fluid dynamics. as the oil pump only pumps pressure comes from tolerances in the bearings and restrictions in lines.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Just something you can try to see if it helps and this is really what all built engines should be running because of looser clearances. Try going to a 20w50 oil. I have also heard that the number spread of oil like 10w60 makes it weak in one area or the other. What I mean is, this oil may work well on the 10 side when its cold, but doesnt work well on the 60 side when its hot because the spread is just too far. This is why you dont see 10w50 oil and I'm really suprised there is a 10w60 out there. Its hard for me to explain, but you should understand what I mean.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:38 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by ChefJ,Sep 2 2010, 06:45 PM
I appologize but this is misinformation.

higher flow=less pressure. its simple fluid dynamics. as the oil pump only pumps pressure comes from tolerances in the bearings and restrictions in lines.
It depends on where you're measuring the pressure. I made an assumption, maybe a good one or maybe a bad one, that the flow path goes :

oil pump > oil cooler > oil filter > engine, and that the oil pressure is measured at the engine.

I believe oil pumps are generally positive displacement, so for a given pump speed, the oil pressure (as measured at the pump outlet) is inversely related to flow. More flow = less pressure. Less flow = more restriction = more pressure at the pump outlet.

So if we measure the oil pressure right at the pump outlet and it is relatively low, then your scenario of loose tolerances in the engine makes sense as loose tolerances probably have less flow restriciton.

I assumed that the oil pressure is measured at the engine, after the oil filter and the oil cooler. If that's the case and the pressure is low there, that tells me there is too much flow restriction between the oil pump and the engine.

As you know fluid dynamics, you know you start with a value for pressure head at the beginning of the flow path. As you go along the flow path, each restriction creates a pressure head loss. At the end of the flow path, you have less pressure head then you have at the beginning of the flow path. If you want to maximize the flow rate at the end of the flow path (minimize the pressure difference/head loss between the beginning and end), you need to minimize the flow restrictions along the path. In this case, bigger oil lines.

In the end, what we really care about is the oil flow rate into the engine. Putting oil flow rate meters on every car is not really practical, but it's easy to put on a pressure gauge/sensor. The engineers know what oil pressure = oil flow rate for their particular engine with their specified tolerances.

In Rajdlos case, measuring the oil pressure at the pump outlet and at the engine, at the same time, would answer this pretty quick.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rev-hard kit.... FTL!!!!

I HATE my Rev-hard parts. Not to mention their support is even worse, should show you all the lies they gave me that I can prove are lies....

Good info on the oil here fellas though I don't think that's his problem.... though the pressure numbers are odd to me. Sounds like some kind of restriction if I was to guess.

OP just curious, what are you using for coolant? Water is a better heat exchanger than coolant is if I'm not mistaken. That said, you could make a few band-aid fixes perhaps doing a few small changes. Remember you can't run straight water either though due to lack of lubrication.

Having a 2nd oil pressure sensor would give a lot more info in a perfect world.

I think we should answer his question about Vtec, anyone know the pressure needed?
Old 09-03-2010, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Irishflame27: the clearence is STOCK, according to Honda manual

ChefJ: I have complete oil management from REV HARD STAGE2 - T to the stock pressure sensor, AN3 turbo in-line. Dont know exactly how big restriktor they are using (i mean 4mm), oil lines to reloc kit are AN8, the sensors for oil press and oil temp are in the relocation adapter (from RevHard).

1. has S2K any ports for meassuring the pressure at the engine near the oil pump?
2. how about VTEC kick? what oil pressure must have the engine for VTEC kick?
3. i spoke with my engine builder, and he said me, the the oil MNG is close system, so AN10 havent effect on oil pressure, really dont know, I wantnt waste 600USD for bigger oil cooling system

HERE is the describe of my OIL MANAGEMENT:

High volume oil pump
> Eliminate heat exchanger (its bad ???)
> relocation kit RevHard AN8 lines
> reloc adapter with oil pressure sensor and temp sensor
> Mocal thermostatic adapter
> oil filter MAG POWER II (its bad ???)
> AN8 lines to the oil cooler
> oil cooler, size ca 65x8x3cm.

Turbo MNG:
High volume oil pump
> T-line from the block (relocated stock pressure sensor)
> AN3 oil inline
> restrictor to the turbo ca 4mm
> T3/T04E turbocharger
> ca 17mm back rubber line the the oil pan

Thanks mans for all replies, im really appreciate that, Im building the engine ca 2years and still problems
Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin,Sep 2 2010, 10:29 PM
Just something you can try to see if it helps and this is really what all built engines should be running because of looser clearances. Try going to a 20w50 oil. I have also heard that the number spread of oil like 10w60 makes it weak in one area or the other. What I mean is, this oil may work well on the 10 side when its cold, but doesnt work well on the 60 side when its hot because the spread is just too far. This is why you dont see 10w50 oil and I'm really suprised there is a 10w60 out there. Its hard for me to explain, but you should understand what I mean.
which is why I go with a straight 50 weight in the summer. wintertime in ga is more of a 15w40 season for me.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:38 AM

you want to keep your hoses as short as possible. Are you losing any oil at all anywhere? A leak would cause a serious pressure loss.
I believe you need 53 pounds of pressure to lock in the vtec pins.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Rajdlos,Sep 3 2010, 02:00 AM
> reloc adapter with oil pressure sensor and temp sensor

Your relocation adapter should look something like this. One hole should be the oil flow out to the remote filter and oil cooler, the other hole is for the flow back to the engine.

If you can get your engine builder to put a pressure gauge at each hole, it will tell you if you're losing too much oil pressure in all the lines and stuff for the oil cooler and remote filter.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 PM

I checked today all lines, and two fittings leak the oil. just a little bit. It can be a problem?
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 PM

Where can I buy quality reloc kit with AN10 lines?

What do you mean about air water cooling radiator C&R? Does really fucntion well?

Quick Reply: Oil pressure, oil temp - turbo setup