S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Oil filter relocation w/oil cooler?

Old 09-16-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filter relocation w/oil cooler?

So, since I live in the sunshine state and 11 1/2 months of the year it's over 85*, I'm planning on doing an oil cooler (to aid while I'm autocrossing or out at sebring, whatever).

My question is, does anyone see any harm in plumbing it in line with the oil filter? Obviously I'll be relocating the oil filter, but I figure send the feed from the motor, through the filter, then through the cooler and back, or vice versa, depending on how I run the lines.

I don't see there being any problems with this but I'm just curious for other opinions. Of course, I need to pick up a thermostatically controlled sandwich adapter.

I'd be eliminating (or at least circumventing) the coolant lines from the stock oil cooler directly to the turbo for water cooling on that.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:08 AM

should be fine
Old 09-16-2008, 08:38 AM

this is how my oil cooler is set up; i passed on the tstat.. except for when its below 50 degrees outside, the oil doesn't have any problem heating up.. i have an oil temp gauge so i know when its okay to get on it during the cold weather
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 AM

well, I'd still use the t-stat.

I had a sandwich adapter w/ tstat on my 350z turbo, ran an oil cooler. That thing took FOREVER to warm up in the mornings, and that thing was NOT a cool running car to begin with. I'm just afraid without a t-stat the oil temps would stay too low....my main concern is just keeping the oil at a consistent temp. After seeing some cars this weekend at Sebring w/turbos, their oil got so hot it thinned out and started seeping through turbo seals and smoking until the oil temp cooled down.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by chimmike,Sep 16 2008, 01:04 PM
well, I'd still use the t-stat.

I had a sandwich adapter w/ tstat on my 350z turbo, ran an oil cooler. That thing took FOREVER to warm up in the mornings, and that thing was NOT a cool running car to begin with. I'm just afraid without a t-stat the oil temps would stay too low....my main concern is just keeping the oil at a consistent temp. After seeing some cars this weekend at Sebring w/turbos, their oil got so hot it thinned out and started seeping through turbo seals and smoking until the oil temp cooled down.
i hear you..my commute in the morning is stop and go for a bit so my oil temps are able to rise on cold mornings (less than 50 degrees)..if it were straight onto the highway, it would NEVER warm up

my oil cooler is pretty small, which did you go with?

Old 09-16-2008, 09:32 AM

Exactly how mine is done as well. If mine were a street car it would have a themostat as well.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM

im begining to think i might need one of these
Old 09-16-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by devs2k,Sep 16 2008, 09:24 AM
i hear you..my commute in the morning is stop and go for a bit so my oil temps are able to rise on cold mornings (less than 50 degrees)..if it were straight onto the highway, it would NEVER warm up

my oil cooler is pretty small, which did you go with?

when I had my Z, my cooler was about double that size. It was an earls cooler with aeroquip lines and it added about a quart of capacity to my system at any given time....along with the oil pan spacer I had, the Z ran about 7 quarts of oil. Not cheap to change when time came around, but I never had to worry about issues in turns with not having enough oil somewhere in the system! lol.

I'm not sure how I'll do placement of the cooler yet because I've got to figure out how to mount my intercooler, and to be honest, I'm not sure what fittings to get/where to get a relocation kit for the f20c1 with a sammich that has a t-stat. So suggestions on that would be appreciated
Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM

after doing some research, I found Mocal's website:
http://www.thinkauto.com/remote.htm

that'll allow the remote oil filter, I'm just not sure which thread size the f20c1 has......then I can buy the remote plate, then it's just a matter of fittings, lines, and the cooler itself.

About a $300 job once it's all said and done, but fully custom with good materials.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 PM

any other ideas? anyone know which mocal adapter would work?