S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Oil Filter Relocation Failure and Headaches

Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Filter Relocation Failure and Headaches

After a second mishap with an oil filter relocation block, I have to forewarn everyone here. For the second time, I've witnessed my turbo S dump all of it's oil in a cloud of smoke due to the oil filter relocation block.

The part in question is the Canton Racing oil filter block. It is a well machined piece with a great finish, albeit poorly designed. It uses a standard off the shelf oil filter gasket seal between the block and the oil filter adapter. This is a square cross section seal. Unfortunately, with the block adapter bolted all the way down, it leaves a gap between the block and the adapter that exposes the seal. This is where the seal fails, unfortunately. If you look at your OEM Honda oil filter, it is a skirted o-ring that is completely shrouded when installed. The Canton piece doesn't have a properly designed o-ring gland. If you are using this part, I feel strongly, and from experience, that this is a time bomb waiting to happen. If you can't switch out to another manufacturer's part, I recommend changing out this "Ford-type" seal with each oil change. I've blown this seal twice under high RPM, undoubtedly due to high oil pressure, since oil pressure rises with each RPM. I tend to think that the high temps near the stock oil filter location may weaken the seal over time as well. But I haven't made it past 10,000 miles without one blowing.

Better yet, pickup a turbo manifold that doesn't require you to relocate the oil filter. From experience, it is very messy to have pressurized oil coat your entire under carriage and engine bay.

I hope this post keeps someone out there from experiencing the inconvenience, I have now been put through twice.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow...sorry to hear that... hope your car was not damaged during the incidents.

Tim
Old 04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

I know of some other Canton equipped cars that have seen track use without any issues. Are you assembling the adapter dry or oiling the o-ring before tightening the banjo bolt?
Old 04-18-2006, 03:18 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How does this adapter compare with the Ultimate Racing and Lovefab ones? Thanks.

Tim
Old 04-18-2006, 04:28 PM

... i'm also wondering the answer to that. I don't really like the idea of an oil relocation failing on my car.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Former Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 318 Posts

The best pics I have of a Canton sandwich plate
Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM

I spoke with a buddy today who recommended the sandwich plate from Greddy or HKS. I'll check them out and post an evaluation.

I would hate to see someone else feel the pain of what I've experienced twice now, actually 3 times. The first time was my own fault, filter spun off because it was the wrong size thread. Make sure you have the filter that is made for your relocator.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:35 PM

SIIK- Nothing a few bucks and cleaning couldn't fix. I pulled off the road right away in all instances. I thought I oil starved the motor the second time, but oddly enough, I think it might've just seated the rings because it doesn't burn any oil at all any more.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:24 PM

Slow- take a close look when that adapter is installed on the block, see the gap? That's the problem, the travel stop should've been on the outside, not the inside.

Here's a pic of the first gasket that blew. It is weird because the gasket failed from inside diameter. So it really wasn't temp in my opinion. The seal didn't have a gland wall to seal against just open to atmosphere, so when the pressure built up there, the delta P got massive and the weakest link went, the seal. When I first saw it on the car, it was extruded out of the groove of the Canton adapter. There needs to be a wall there to retain the seal.

Old 04-18-2006, 11:23 PM

I have used this Canton part with a Greddy sandwich plate for over 70K miles with no issues. Sorry to hear you had such trouble with it.
Synapse, I may be mistaken, but the pic Slow posted has the stock oil warmer/cooler removed. Did you also do this?

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Relocation Failure and Headaches