S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Noob considering purchasing kit...

Old 06-27-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob considering purchasing kit...

Hi, I'm currently looking at picking up a kit from a member here. The price is awesome, but there are some questions I have...

The kit:

rev hard manifold
T3/T4 turbo
AEM EMS

includes:
everything to get it running
Off the top of my head these include:
mani/wastegate/BOV/walbro255/550cc precision injectors/FMIC/pipings needed/oil filter relocation/tapped oil pan/and whatever else needed for turbo

My questions are this:

The manifold has a crack down cylinder 2/3. The crack is pretty deep. There is a AF gauge in the pillar, which consistently reads strange values. Its 11.0 at idle, and on WOT at around 5-6K, its hitting 14.7. What are the chances that the wideband is bad? Is it common for the wideband to go bad and read like that? I wasnt able to take a look at the boost gauge, but at 7-8PSI of boost for roughly 3-4 pulls (4->8K) the FMIC was barely "warm to touch". the turbo kit and tune has been on the car for a while, if the tune was that bad wouldn't the engine be toast by now?

Should I ask him to take it to a tuner to check AF ratio/power it puts down?

---

I ask for help, because this will be the FIRST time I go FI, if I do...and I don't want a bad experience with it - but it would be nice to have a complete "worked on another car" kit just to make sure it will work on mine.

The car accelerated a LOT quicker than man, much more savagely but I wasn't sure if it was the boost coming on or if it was due to the gearing he has in his car (4.77)
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If it really was 14.7 AF at WOT the motor would go pop.. it could be from the crack in the mani though.
the 11 AF at idle is possible , most injectors for this car are garbage (excluding Injector Dynamics). I had to keep mine at 11-12AF with RC750's or it would miss.
Dont put a cracked manifold on you car, it will get worse over time and revhards are a PIA to swap. I did it twice.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A new revhard manifold is only 200 so if you go with it buy a new manifold. You didn't list downpipe and wastegate dump tube, does it come with it? Who makes the turbo? If you get the kit I would recommend getting it retuned immediately- the existing tune on the ems should be sufficient to drive to a tuner but every car responds to mods differently so the existing tune may not be optimal for your motor.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 AM

dc2-2, yes it does come with it. The turbo, according to the owner, is a precision T3/T4 - thats all the information I received. Its from a now discontinued rev hard stage 2 kit. It is a complete kit that is currently in a running car.

deception, that is exactly what I was thinking, if it was running stoich on boost the motor should be melted by now - would a cracked manifold cause that much AF ratio metering problems?

thanks for all the help - I'm leaning towards not picking it up...its a steal at 1.7K, even if I had to purchase a new manifold, wideband, and tune - but I cant justify spending the amount required. for the past two/three days I've been reading up on turbos/setups/deals/prices like crazy, and although I would LOVE to go FI, I don't want to half-ass it. if it truly was only a cracked mani/bad wideband causing the weird AF ratios, I would snatch it up...but the questions do scare me.

the driveability from what I saw, was excellent, btw.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
dc2-2, yes it does come with it. The turbo, according to the owner, is a precision T3/T4 - thats all the information I received. Its from a now discontinued rev hard stage 2 kit. It is a complete kit that is currently in a running car.

deception, that is exactly what I was thinking, if it was running stoich on boost the motor should be melted by now - would a cracked manifold cause that much AF ratio metering problems?

thanks for all the help - I'm leaning towards not picking it up...its a steal at 1.7K, even if I had to purchase a new manifold, wideband, and tune - but I cant justify spending the amount required. for the past two/three days I've been reading up on turbos/setups/deals/prices like crazy, and although I would LOVE to go FI, I don't want to half-ass it. if it truly was only a cracked mani/bad wideband causing the weird AF ratios, I would snatch it up...but the questions do scare me.

the driveability from what I saw, was excellent, btw.
I was in same position as you when I bought my first turbo kit for this car 2 years ago. Revhard setup/ turbonetics turbo, ended up replacing many things, I regret rushing into it now.. Save up for a better kit & you will be much happier in the end.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 AM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Deception
I was in same position as you when I bought my first turbo kit for this car 2 years ago. Revhard setup/ turbonetics turbo, ended up replacing many things, I regret rushing into it now.. Save up for a better kit & you will be much happier in the end.
I had a greddy kit for a few weeks. I agree, save up for a better kit

Also, if you wanna turbo your car on a budget i recomend the Full Blown stage 1 kit.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:20 AM

Don't buy it, you will spend more time and energy. Get a new kit from a good company that will be around. You will hate yourself.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Assuming all else is good quality and is in good working order, I'd just pick up a new manifold because that is a good price considering that it includes an EMS. You might also want to look into upgrading your clutch.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

i hated my revhard kit- i have had to replace 75% of the kit in the last three years. buy a better kit
Old 06-28-2011, 07:10 PM

Alright guys, Thanks for all the insight/experiences. I will definitely take your (majority) advice and not pick it up. chris, I'm going to see if I can ask for just the EMS at a good price.

Thanks .

Quick Reply: Noob considering purchasing kit...