S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

No one experiment with propane injection yet?

Old 10-27-2008, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No one experiment with propane injection yet?

I have been looking around and pricing parts to build a turbo kit on the cheap and was curious why no one on here has considered propane injection...

i have a propane kit on my buick that allowed me to run 28psi on 93 octane with no intercooler... no knock...

it works wonders and its cheap as hell. one fill would last me a week or two and run me about $3 and some change
Old 10-27-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 113 Likes on 74 Posts

ive never even heard of that. But hell im open to new ideas! please enlighten me
Old 10-27-2008, 02:34 PM

propane is 110 octane and comes out of the nozzle at -60dF

so you've got a free intercooler and an incredible octane booster at the same time..

gauge on right is tank pressure, gauge on left is pressure that the system will see.

the system is controlled by a very large solenoid you see on the left and a control box that simply uses a boost sensor hooked up to a pot that lets you infinitely control the amount of boost that activates the system and another pot that lets you control the duty cycle the solenoid operates at.

the system is also tunable by using nitrous pills in the nozzle that goes into the intake

there are a ton of variables but when you tune it right it works WONDERS... i had a vac line pop off a wastegate once and pegged my 30psi gauge while tuning something and i didnt even notice until i looked over and saw the gauge pegged once the car pulled harder than it normally did.

28psi was a nice safe street tune, i'm sure it could have gone higher but i never wanted to risk it

the propane line is hidden here under some flex tubing, right in the 90* elbow that feeds the throttle body.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix,Oct 27 2008, 02:09 PM
I have been looking around and pricing parts to build a turbo kit on the cheap and was curious why no one on here has considered propane injection...

i have a propane kit on my buick that allowed me to run 28psi on 93 octane with no intercooler... no knock...

it works wonders and its cheap as hell. one fill would last me a week or two and run me about $3 and some change
People were posting about Ethonal a while back and I suggested this but they all thought I was crazy. If I had the time I would look much harder a completly switching to Propane.

QUOTE (Enthralled @ Oct 21 2008, 04:49 PM)
It's good to see more people running E85.

I pray it doesn't get more popular. You pay less for the fuel / gallon but it is less efficient so you will need to add 30-40% more and you pay more for grains and meat. I say do it right and more to LNG / Propane it is soooo much better.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:05 PM

the kit i bought was actually developed by jay carter who is one of the premier buick tuners and has been for many years. at the time he developed the kit it was $600 and a local guy with a wrx bought it and then decided to go another route... $400 and it was mine.

people act like a propane tank in the trunk is dangerous but if you're in an accident rough enough to puncture a small propane tank like the one in my car you're already going to be dead...

the only downside is everytime i had to open the trunk someone had to make some stupid "wheres the bbq grill!?" comment
Old 10-27-2008, 05:19 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by turbosix,Oct 27 2008, 05:05 PM
"wheres the bbq grill!?" comment

Thats Great
Old 10-27-2008, 05:33 PM

sounds great for a track car but i'd still be iffy 'bout having an explodable item in the trunk...

do you just swap out the tank when empty or is the same tank utilized and refilled? for the smug where's the barbecue comments, maybe powdercoat that beach black and add some vinyl or something...

Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by s2k aok,Oct 27 2008, 07:33 PM
sounds great for a track car but i'd still be iffy 'bout having an explodable item in the trunk...

do you just swap out the tank when empty or is the same tank utilized and refilled? for the smug where's the barbecue comments, maybe powdercoat that beach black and add some vinyl or something...

there's a tank of 13.2 gallons of much more dangerous stuff strapped to your car everyday

and no, its not a standard tank

on the right is the std tank... this is the little baby tank. you have to remove it from the car to get it filled
Old 10-28-2008, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The gasoline in your fuel tank is not pressurized though.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by snakeeater,Oct 28 2008, 08:32 AM
The gasoline in your fuel tank is not pressurized though.
it definitely is on warm days... and this is no more dangerous than having a nitrous tank in your car...

propane pressures never exceed 300psi, optimum nitrous pressures are over double that

once again, if you're in an accident severe enough to crush a 5lb propane cylinder then a leak is the least of your problems

Quick Reply: No one experiment with propane injection yet?