S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

No fire on 3&4

Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
Default No fire on 3&4

I have an issue with my car right now. Its been running great the past year or so on AEM EMS without any hiccups. But now I have no spark on 3 and 4. I took the coil pack and spark plug from cyl 1 and tried to see if I had spark on 3 and I had nothing. I think its a computer issue. I couldn't data log my car as I didn't have my laptop. Ill do some more research tonight, and to make matters slightly worse my car is 45 minutes away.

Also, I forgot to mention that earlier in the day the car missed, so i pulled over to check it out and thought it was a coil pack that went out, so I limped it to a nearby friends house and as soon as I pulled onto his road everything went back to normal. Then, as posted in the first post, after a car show that evening I had misfires when I started the car.

Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?
Old 08-18-2010, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be extremely rare to loose two coil outputs at the exact same time, but you could send the EMS to AEM for a quick diagnostic check just in case. The turnaround at AEM should be quick so your car isn't down for very long.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 AM

deff call AEM and tell them your situation. i gurantee they will have either a solution or a route to follow to get it fixed fast. every time i have called them, they have had the best and most knowledgeable customer service of anywhere.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check fuses/relays under hood and under dash. verify in aem ems software that cyl 3 and 4 are not turned off for ignition <prolly not cause though>

otherwise, x3, send it back to aem for check up.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:55 AM

if you have taken your coils out right before this started happening... take them back out and look at the harness clips that plug into the coils, make sure all 3 prongs are straight and not bent. happend to me once on one coil and when I looked at aem and noticed it was reading okay I checked the clip and sure enough somehow one prong got bent
Old 08-18-2010, 09:02 AM

AEM coil drivers fail all the time, it's a pretty common problem. I would send the ecu back to AEM and I'm sure they will take care of it, they always do.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Ben-NSI,Aug 18 2010, 11:02 AM
AEM coil drivers fail all the time, it's a pretty common problem. I would send the ecu back to AEM and I'm sure they will take care of it, they always do.
Even with the 1052? I haven't heard of this on our platform (at least I don't recall hearing about this).
Old 08-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts

Thank you for all the replies. Is there a good number to call or just the AEM general number? Who/what department should I ask for?

I was thinking of gathering info/doing research tonight then going to the car tomorrow after work.

The only thing I can think of that I changed recently was I changed my battery tray to a different one, perhaps my battery cable is loose...

While I goto the car tomorrow should I datalog the car?

Also, I forgot to mention that yesterday, earlier in the day the car missed, so i pulled over to check it out and thought it was a coil pack that went out, so I limped it to a nearby friends house and as soon as I pulled onto his road everything went back to normal. Then, as posted in the first post, after a car show that evening I had misfires when I started the car.

(I will update the first post right now)
Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you swap the coils around to see if the mis-firing cylinders follow those coils? It could just be bad coils?

I diagnosed bad coils on a buddies S last week and it was doing the same thing.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Something like this happened on my sr20 I know its a different engine and all but it also uses coil on plug coil packs. I don't know if it works the same way but the ignitor pack went bad and cooked off COP's 3&4

Quick Reply: No fire on 3&4