S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Need help on my build.

Old 02-05-2014, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on my build.

Hey guys, hoping you could shed some light on some things for me and help me out. I have an 02' S2K currently n/a with which i plan on doing a hybrid kit bottom mount turbo set-up. I Currently have a t3 turbonetics .54 trim 65 A/R turbo external wastegate, Competition stage 2 clutch, and a 3" catback megan exhaust with a welded 3" vibrant resonator. I plan on buying a Hondata K-Pro. I don't know what manifold to get (log or tubular). I'm looking to have about 350-400 hp at around 10-12 psi. So my question is which Manifold, HFC, recommended wastegate (godspeed or tial), or what possible options i have without spending a crazy amount of money. How can I achieve 350-400HP. I'm not to knowledgeable as for as this build goes so would like some input from you guys, Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm new to the S2000 world, but not new to turbo cars. I've been involved in turbocharged engine development (on and off) for over 30 years. I know you are looking for specifics, but the S2000 group is full of "roll your own" turbo setups. And it looks like you are well on your way down that path.

As for Turbo header vs. Cast manifold: I've learned over the years that a properly designed turbo header will make more power than a typical cast manifold. Often times the differences are difficult to quantify. But it's clear a header will make more power at less boost. A cast manifold generally has less volume, and therefore will produce boost at slightly lower RPM's than a turbo header. However, the cast manifold (depending on design) can become a hindrance at higher RPM's for all the obvious reasons. There is a reason the top turbo guys use turbo headers with very smooth flowing merge collectors. As the properly designed merge collector is the main secret behind a turbo header.

My car has the "Inline Pro" cast log manifold. It works, but the car's setup would be AWFUL for road racing. It's downright nonresponsive to throttle inputs, especially at high RPM. A proper setup would include a turbo header, and a larger downpipe with no restriction. Allowing the turbo to respond more rapidly. In my case, the turbo must work awful hard just to produce 400RWHP. Because the turbo is forced to make nearly 20 pounds boost, it takes time to get there, and I find it annoying.

Let's put this another way. With a proper turbo header, downpipe and other minor tweaks, my car could make 400HP at 15-16 pounds boost instead of 20. This makes for a much nicer driving car and a much more responsive setup as the turbo does not need to work as hard. Both intake and exhaust pressure are reduced in such a setup. Yet HP is the same.

Since you are going for 400HP (a very nice figure on the S2000) nearly any manifold choice and wastegate choice will suffice. But, if it were me, I'd choose a turbo header and something similar to an ultraGate 38, for a simple installation and a responsive setup.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:41 AM

For your power goal a pfab log top mount will get you there without breaking the bank. I use emusa wastegate in the pass and it work just fine. No experience with God speed and tial but you can't go wrong with a tial. Since you have a my02 I would upgraded you retainer on the intake side too ap2 ones and see if you oil jet bolts are updated too.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:54 AM

Some good reading before boost.
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/102...nstall-w-pics/

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/569...head-in-place/
Old 02-06-2014, 09:20 AM

I haven't yet decided on what brand downpipe to run yet but its definitely gonna be 3" downpipe, hfc 3", and megan catback exhaust 3". After doing some research I have decided on a t3 bottom mount inline pro log manifold. I know bottom mounts are a bit harder to install but i don't really want to spend the money on a tubular type manifold. Still debating what wastegate but probably a 38mm. Do you guys think 550cc fuel injectors are enough for the HP i want to put down? Thanks alot.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:22 AM

@ HERSEY. I do plan on upgrading my retainer but not yet sure if upgrading the oil jet bolts would be a necessity?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 AM

The Inline log cast manifold is supposed to be a very reliable unit. It will mount the 38mm wastegate right on top. That's what I'm running.

The 550cc injectors will probably be too small for 400HP and you would end up with very high fuel pressures to make them work properly. More likely you should use 685cc.

Sounds like you are building something very much like I have.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by mandrocortes
@ HERSEY. I do plan on upgrading my retainer but not yet sure if upgrading the oil jet bolts would be a necessity?
From research I done if you boosting. The upgraded is needed if you wanna run safely. On the inline pro log. You can't go wrong with it too. I use that setup on my integra car and made 428hp and 281tq @20psi. It was my Dr and I put 15,000 miles on with no issue. Also inlinepro has top notches customers services.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:39 AM

@ cujet- That seems to be exactly what i want to run, Since i'm doing a hybrid kit i'm trying to budget things out and see whats compatible with what. What set up do you have?

@ Hersey- Yea that's what i'm hearing about inline pro. On top of that they have a lifetime warranty. So i'm almost sure that's the route i'm gonna take.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by mandrocortes
@ cujet- That seems to be exactly what i want to run, Since i'm doing a hybrid kit i'm trying to budget things out and see whats compatible with what. What set up do you have?
Inline Pro stage 1 with Precision Ball Bearing magic turbo, 600HP capable intercooler, AEM V1 EMS, Ultimate Racing 3 inch dual exhaust, Inline Pro BOV, UltraSmart 38 wastegate.

It makes plenty of power, but it does take way too much time to "come up on boost" , even after 8500RPM redline shifts. and that's incredibly annoying. This setup is impossible to drive smoothly and will need some modification. For example, modulating power in corners is not gonna happen. The car falls on it's face, only to respond with rapid full boost 1.5 seconds after it's asked for. It's all-or-nothing character is typical of improper setup.

As I've mentioned before, I've been doing the turbo thing for years. This one is among the least responsive I've driven. There is nothing wrong with the engine. It's all in the setup. It has a "high flow" cat, and that kills some power/response too. The 3 inch exhaust is really too small also for maximum responsiveness. All of these restrictions (manifold, intercooler, cat, exhaust) result in a less than ideal situation.

Interestingly, the intake air temperature today was 147 degrees during heavy traffic, driving slow. That's insane. It was not hot today. And, once "on boost" it cooled right off. Poor setup, again.

Quick Reply: Need help on my build.