S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

My vortech buildup

Old 12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts
Default My vortech buildup

I finally found some time to devote to this build. It's the standard vortech SC with an upgraded heat exchanger/pump and fuel solution. I was looking at the SOS upgrade and thought it's a great package, however I couldn't see the value if I compared it against making my own. Of course time is the key element here. I was in no hurry. If you are, then the SOS option is the way to go.

I decided to use the siliconintake.com heat exchanger; the two inch thick one, not the 3.5". I did leave myself some room so if this one is not adequate, upgrading to the larger one will just be a bolt on affair.

When I was researching water pumps, I was lurking the mustang forums and many of those guys upgrade from the cobra water pump to a mezier unit. Well, if it's good enough for the mustang guys, why not try it. That and it really wasn't that much more than the cobra water pump and less than the SOS one. It also flows plenty; advertises 20gpm.

On to the pics.
I decided to use stock bolt points to make life easier. I'm using the hood support(if that's the proper name) bolt locations and longer bolts. I used a lincoln mig with gas for the welding and 1/8" thick 304 stainless. The exchanger feels heavy and this should be plenty of strength.

I tack welded some nuts on the back to make removal much easier.

And here it is mounted.

I'll post my IATs when I finally get tuned so folks have a better idea how this exchanger performs.

Figuring out how to mount the pump securely required a little head scratching. I think it weighs around 5-6 lbs and the thought of that breaking free and bouncing around wasn't happy. Since I'm using the ems I could remove the air pump and that location was the perfect size. I ended up making this horrible ugly, yet surprisingly functional bracket using stock bolt locations and holes on the frame. It also is made from 1/8" stainless and was mig'd. I have a tig but the mig is easier/faster and I need MUCH more tig practice before I start trusting parts to my welds.

Here is the bare bracket.

pump and bracket

mounted on the frame.

Don't mind the holes in the ducting. I've patched those up.

I'll put up my fuel solution pics later. I used boostfed's old bosch044 hanger with a supra pump, rewired the pump, and replaced the supply/return lines. I wanted an oem quiet/reliable fuel solution and ended up following this path. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably use full blown's twin pump hanger with oem pumps rewired. That should be enough for 450-500 whp with oem reliability and quiet. I'd use a BAP if I needed more oomph.

Originally, I wanted to keep the stock fuel lines. They are capable of way more than I ever plan to go. I'm using an ASP 3.9" pulley, so around 13 psi on a stock block. I was thinking about upgrading the impeller with the one from 928, but the stock kit is good to close to 400 and that should be enough for me. That and I don't want to start down the slippery slope of elliminating weak links in the drive train.

I had a machinist make a -6 an adapter to stock fuel line and they looked great, however they leaked at the female/male -an connection as soon as the pump primed. It's to bad, that would of made this install considerably easier.

How they looked installed.

The little black square is the fuel pump relay.

Since this didn't work and I wasn't about to give up on an oem quiet and reliable pump, I had to replace the stock lines. Everything was from summit.
I used 3/8 aluminum tubing, a tubing cutter, bender, push-on soft line, and all the other misc fittings.

I little work with the bender and adding fittings.

This is the rear side toward the fuel pump.

Along the underside. Still using the stock bracket supports so I can put the line protectors back.

And toward the front. Including a stock pic for reference.

Fuel pump installed and covered.

3/8 should be able to supply more than the tranny can support, but upgrading to an -8 an line wouldn't be to difficult.

For anyone contemplating replacing their lines. It's relatively easy. The only difficult part is figuring out your bends to their correct length and you really don't even have to do that. You could use soft line and have all straight hard lines. I wanted to use the oem line protectors and they wouldn't fit over the fittings so I couldn't go that route.

I plan on tracking this car and from reading the racing forum, on oil cooler will help on a FI'd motor. I added one and i'll post some pics later. I first tried using the stock vortech one, however I went through 2 used units with both of them leaking at the same location. I should of just let it be, but I had some hose and fittings left over from another project and I was feeling stubborn so I just bought a new setrab unit.

I'll add some exhaust pics too. For now, I'm oem with a highflow cat. I'm trying to minimize the compromises for power. When I get tuned I'll test the oem against a 3" to 2.5" dual baffled and non-baffled mufflers with a vibrant resonator and metal substrate high flow cat. I'm curious if non-baffled helps for a sc'd S.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your heat exchanger mounting is more complex than SOS's . How much psi do you plan on running?
Old 12-03-2010, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up for being creative looking good so far
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 AM

thats the same heat exchanger I decided to use.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks GREAT, we need some more people like you helping us push foward.

Are going to be using a T-Trim?

I'll put up my fuel solution pics later. I used boostfed's old bosch044 hanger with a supra pump, rewired the pump, and replaced the supply/return lines. I wanted an oem quiet/reliable fuel solution and ended up following this path. If I could do it all over again, I'd probably use full blown's twin pump hanger with oem pumps rewired. That should be enough for 450-500 whp with oem reliability and quiet. I'd use a BAP if I needed more oomph
A walbro 255LPH pump will be enough to supply you to about 600WHP with a set of ID1000. However if you have the hanger I would HIGHLY recomend that you put a Bosch 044 as they have a much higher relief valve pressure which is critical.

Keep the details coming

Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 AM

Keep the good work! I have the same exchanger and it a night/day difference from the Comptech stocker It had. I have not checked the IAT's but will love to what the results are. Let us know.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:20 AM

As for mounting I used an aluminum L shaped bar mounted between the 2 front bars on the chassis and fabricated a bracket to install it. It came out ok, yours is more elaborate and has more time spent to it.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks awesome !! PLEASE be sure and report back with the iat readings !
Old 12-07-2010, 06:06 PM

I like the hard lines and use of the factory keepers, thats a nice touch. I like keeping things clean and OEM looking when at all possible.

I will be going to a FullBlown setup over the winter utilizing -8AN, and -6AN lines. The dual 255s should work well.

I am curious as well, How much boost are you planning on running? What are your power goals? Good to see another SC car pushing whats available.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:44 AM
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

ILoveMYHonda1984, I'm using an ASP 3.9" pulley so around 13 psi. I'm hoping to crack 400whp. I'm on a stock exhaust/highflow cat that I may swap out for a 3" to dual 2.5" however I'm trying to keep this car a daily friendly as possible.

I thought about using the billet impeller upgrade from 928 motorsports. It's similar to a T-trim, however on pump gas I'd may be get another 30-50 whp and on top of 400 that's be just more wheelspin with 4.57 gears. I may still opt for it seeing no one has yet tried this option on the S.

We have access to E85 here in the Alamo City, but it's few and far in between. I'm still undecided whether to tune for it.

I like the fullbown fuel pump hanger. I'd definitely use it if I did this all over again.

I see your sig. That's very respectable power. Do you have any concerns about your transmission, differential? That's the primary reason I'm staying under 450.

Quick Reply: My vortech buildup