S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

My Turbo S2000 Monster

Old 02-20-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by geists2k,Feb 20 2007, 01:00 PM
I was curious about this.

I'm making the same power with the same kit and a slightly larger turbo @ 14psi.

I doubt a 2.5 inch exhaust would have the great an impact. I think the turbo is too small.
I think the exhaust is having a HUGE effect. Look one more time at Kleecker's setup (previous page). Identical in every way but the turbo selection. My boost is just slightly higher.

It's a 2.25" exhaust if I am not mistaken. A 3" pipe has 7.07 square inches of cross sectional flow area, while a 2.25" pipe has 3.98 square inches. Anyone and their brother can tell you that it is holding back the system. As a CFD engineer I can prove it.

I don't think the turbo is too small. I think it the perfect size for this application. Of course, if were were going for 450-600 rwhp, it wouldn't be the best choice, but with a nice free flowing exhaust system I think it is ideal.

I had many questions about the high boost when I picked up the car. I was told that the engine likes it there, the turbo likes it there, the exhaust...not so much.

According to Garrett's compressor map for the 76, my operating line passes directly through the very meat of the efficiency islands. There is just too much restriction in the exhaust right now to really harness the full potential. I'm alright with that for now
Old 02-20-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slimjim8201,Feb 20 2007, 04:27 AM
Methinks you can't read.

I have a 2.25" exhaust on my car, 9:1 compression, and a very small turbo for quick spool.

What turbo is your friend running? What exhaust? What manifold? How aggressive is his tune? Look at my power curve and let me know when you think my exhaust says "no, thanks, I think I've had enough air..."

The high boost to get this number is a result of a LOT of factors. Kleecker also needed high boost (18psi) on his GT35R to achieve 400+ rwhp. He is also using this HKS Hi-Power exhaust.
My Exhaust is T1R 70R, he is running a Precision Turbo Turbine, i dont know the exact model but its BIG, it gets Full Boost @ 5,500! and at 19.5 PSI he dynoed 520.2 WHP!
Old 02-20-2007, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Eri_S2k,Feb 20 2007, 03:22 PM
My Exhaust is T1R 70R, he is running a Precision Turbo Turbine, i dont know the exact model but its BIG, it gets Full Boost @ 5,500! and at 19.5 PSI he dynoed 520.2 WHP!
Yours and my setups are not exactly comparable. I doubt we have the same compression ratio and our exhausts are totally different. I;m sure your friend has a completely different manifold/exhaust than I do. Not to mention a different tuner, a different dyno, a different turbo. Too many variables here.

If my turbo held it's peak torque all the way to redline, it would also be making 500+ horsepower. A larger exhaust would help spool up and perhaps unlock some more torque as well. Who knows what it would do?

The car is enough for me and too much for most in it's current state
Old 02-20-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Spoolin,Feb 20 2007, 05:01 PM
That's why it poops out at the top end and you have to put so much boost to it to try and get a decent amount of power at 9000 rpm. Any turbine A/R smaller than .8 is just too small and the turbo always poops out on the top end or isn't efficient up there. That size of turbine housing just can't work efficiently at 9000 rpm and is why at 5000 rpm it is efficient.
So with the Gt3076r turbo we should at least use 0,82 or larger A/R to be efficent at the entire powerband ?
Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by drifttolga,Feb 20 2007, 05:03 PM
So with the Gt3076r turbo we should at least use 0,82 or larger A/R to be efficent at the entire powerband ?
From what I have learned with this engine and from talking to some people who know; .82 A/R turbines work the best if you are looking to get the most efficient power all the way to 9000 rpm. My 60-1 turbo is at full boost by 4900-5000 rpm and runs way strong all the way to 9000+ rpm with it's .82 A/R turbine housing. If it had a .63 or .76 A/R turbine housing it would probably poop out around 7000 rpm and take more boost to get back to where I am with the .82.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM

Thanks
Old 02-20-2007, 01:40 PM

a/r are relative to the turbo itself and only that.

all of our gt35r's hold power and produce powever up to 9,000 + rpm's and peak at around 580 where it starts to drop off.

Again, turbo numers have to many variables to horsepower. it comes down to how fast you can drive this turbo setup, and compare to another turbo setup you run on a 1/4 or a 0-60 setup. This is why cars use 1/4 mile setups to compare.

Bottom line is slimjim's setup was picked for his specific build. The exhaust effects his spool up and top end. The exhaust side is small as it is, if he ran a bigger turbo side, along with a bigger compressor side, he'll make up the top end, but will loose in the mid-range, and ALSO will make more top end on the same boost level.

The best way to see how a turbo performs, and which turbo is best, and to GET IT AND USE IT!
Old 02-22-2007, 12:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if u want a 3'' exhaust u can make it quiet...

put on a perforated resonator (meaning it's a true 3'' inside, and the entire pipe's diameter is more like 4'') on the midpipe of the catback, and get a big muffler (muffler is the most important part that quiet an exhaust down) and u're set.

we have a 'stealth exhaust" in the socal Evo scene...and basically it's an 18'' magnaflow muffler mated to a 18'' and a 12'' resonator on the midpipe of the catback...whatever sized resonator will fit for ur catback i dont know, but an 18'' or even a 24'' magnaflow muffler will make even a 3'' pipe sound quiet as hell.

have a local muffler shop custom make a catback like this for you; my local shop only charged me $320 for a catback like that with mandrel bends (probably less for an s2000 since the car's shorter) - this price is again with - full 3'' catback with 3 feet resonator + 18'' magnaflow muffler with mandrel bends at every section of the catback that bends.

downpipe and high flow cat/resonated test pipe won't matter as much as the catback, though it still makes a tiny bit of difference.

sick numbers! but the 2.25'' exhaust is holding you back SIGNIFICANTLY...run a full 3'' turbo back and u'll gain a lot more power esp. in the top end....then put in some race gas and up the boost
Old 02-22-2007, 12:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here are some videos of my Evo with that catback set up, just to let u hear how quiet it is. on the highway the Evo has a crapload of wind noise and tire drone...

Originally Posted by fusionchickenleg
Stealth exhaust:
Tanabe 2.75'' downpipe
Megan Racing resonated test pipe
3'' "stealth" catback with 3 feet of louvered resonators (as opposed to perforated, which will increase volume a tiny bit more but will flow a bit better), and a 18'' Magnaflow muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCbJjfRhsKM (highway cruising around 90 mph)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxJnxcq6pps (outside walk around with Evo idling)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xvRVhsUCt4 (in car, local driving, 2nd gear WOT pull toward the end)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeOgcKsAqD8 (highway cruising with 5th gear WOT around 12 seconds)

note: my downpipe is not wrapped or coated; i was told if i wrap it/coat it there's more chances of it cracking, otherwise it'd lessen the downpipe droning when driving.

the video camera was resting on my steering column when i made all the in-car videos, also all 4 windows are always up.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvHPDRrtuj8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyqIy6LyUWE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAr-kP_mEXo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr5aDrK9Kns

these clips are all 3rd gear pulls, from around 2500rpm-red line - these were made to investigate a possible MBC malfunction.

all windows were up.

fwiw that night after the 3rd video i found out there was a cop parked on the side of the street in front of me with his light turned off, i couldn't see him until i was going 80mph after red-lining 3rd gear. the guy was in the car and didnt' even look up at me, i guess my car was too quiet even at WOT...i was nervous as hell though
hope this helps. my last paragraph in the quote was to address any concern u might have with the top down in the s2000.

u guys do rev 2000rpm higher than the Evo though, but at that point i think the engine noise will drone out an exhaust that quiet...

good luck with your exhaust decision
Old 02-22-2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by slimjim8201,Feb 19 2007, 06:20 PM
Sometimes I wish the turbo wouldn't spool up so damn fast. I have to REALLY make an effort to keep throttle application below 10% or so or I get an audible pssshhhhhh. Kind of letting the cat out of the bag about what's under the hood.
Hi bud! Maybe a killer stereo system install could mask the pssssshhhh of the turbo set up during the street negotiations with your friendly but sadly mistaken viper/vette owners.

Naturally, it would not get much use since even ACDC can't "shoot to thrill" and rock like the sound of your little surprise. You do have enough power to run a couple of subwoofers don't you?

Quick Reply: My Turbo S2000 Monster