S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

MORE starting issues

Old 09-22-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How much did you test? There's no magic number for those fields, you have to constantly mess with them according to how the car acts at those temps when starting.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 22 2010, 09:16 AM
How much did you test? There's no magic number for those fields, you have to constantly mess with them according to how the car acts at those temps when starting.
So.does.yours start.like stock now? Is there anything about it cranking for 3-5 seconds that is harmful for the car?
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 22 2010, 11:16 AM
quite a bit. I've spent probably combined time 5hrs of tinkering with all the compensation values, along with having a handful of tuners look at it.
Sadly there is no consistency with IAT Comp Values. For example, when I go to start my car after work tonight I'll read IAT at approximately 87' and the car will take 5+ seconds cranking to start. Yet I'll drive it home, shut it off with IAT reading 93' (same column), wait a few minutes and it will fire right back up without problem.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is an easy answer.

swap motors with me. dont think about how it will help, just trust that it will

sucks you cant enjoy the car yet. i would be extremely pissed if it wouldnt start each and every time i cranked it. have you put a fuel psi gauge on to see whats going on during the prime, running, and off sequences?
Old 09-22-2010, 08:29 AM

During the times when you think its going to be hard to start, hold the gas open before starting it and see if it starts faster. If it does you need to pull more injector pulse out at the temp. Doesn't = opposite

Dunno if that's going to be a valid test with the DBW cars (dunno if the ECU will open the throttle without the car cranked on), but it certainly works on cable cars

DFWs2k - I haven't driven my car in almost 4 months. When it was running, I was still in the process of dialing it in with JustinC's help. We were getting pretty good at getting it to start consistently no matter the temp or condition. Look for my massive rework thread coming in the next few weeks where I outline this issue and illustrate the changes made.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 22 2010, 12:29 PM
During the times when you think its going to be hard to start, hold the gas open before starting it and see if it starts faster. If it does you need to pull more injector pulse out at the temp. Doesn't = opposite

Dunno if that's going to be a valid test with the DBW cars (dunno if the ECU will open the throttle without the car cranked on), but it certainly works on cable cars

DFWs2k - I haven't driven my car in almost 4 months. When it was running, I was still in the process of dialing it in with JustinC's help. We were getting pretty good at getting it to start consistently no matter the temp or condition. Look for my massive rework thread coming in the next few weeks where I outline this issue and illustrate the changes made.
'Clear Flood Mode'?? Holding the accelerator at WOT prior to ignition on causing the injectors to turn off while cranking, used when you have excessive fuel in the cylinders allowing the spark to burn off that fuel and fire.
Nope, no luck. Attempting to use this doesn't work, datalogs still show the injectors receive a pulse.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:16 AM

No, not what I was talking about. Holding the throttle open leans out the A/F during cranking but you're allowing my air into the cylinders. Won't change the injector puleses or the amount of fuel sprayed, only the amount of air during initial start
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by spectacle,Sep 22 2010, 01:16 PM
No, not what I was talking about. Holding the throttle open leans out the A/F during cranking but you're allowing my air into the cylinders. Won't change the injector puleses or the amount of fuel sprayed, only the amount of air during initial start
Ah I see. I'll give that a try in the next few minutes, almost lunch time.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:58 AM

Ok guys, just ran out to my car on lunch break. Attempted cranking for approx 4 seconds before I began to depress throttle slowly. After about an additional 4 seconds and roughly 90% throttle the car fired.
Total Crank Time : Approx 8 seconds.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM

Was that better or worse than it is usually? Should try cranking the car with the pedal floored from the beginning next time to see if it improves

Quick Reply: MORE starting issues