S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

more boost

Old 12-10-2005, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more boost

I'm running stock vortech pulley,what do i need to buy to upgrade for more boost?and do i need a tune for more boost?

Thanks
David

P.S. please list what i need and where i can buy it.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:26 AM

You need to buy a different pulley.
Are you running stock MGT, standalone, or some type of piggyback on your Vortech? Not much to tune w/ the FMU provided by Vortech, although yes tuning to some degree would be beneficial.
This isn't meant as an insult at all, but you do have the SC correct? If so it may benefit you to learn how a SC of this type actually works and why the pulley is the determining factor in your PSi of boost.
Good luck

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/
Old 12-10-2005, 09:48 AM

I have had the charger on my car for several months now and am getting too use to the boost so i want a little more power.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by day1si,Dec 10 2005, 10:26 AM
This isn't meant as an insult at all, but you do have the SC correct? If so it may benefit you to learn how a SC of this type actually works and why the pulley is the determining factor in your PSi of boost.
Ouch! Apparently I missed something, and now I'm not sure that I want to expose my ignorance.

I've just finished installing a Comptech SC/AC, but even before the install started I was anticipating the day when I'd be use to the added power and want more. I *think* I have a good basic understanding of FI, but I have very limited experience with supercharging, and close to zero experience with S2000 supercharging. In any event, I have similar questions about upgrading my Comptech setup.

On the Comptech system the fuel pressure regulator ramps up the fuel pressure under boost. Parts are available to tailor the regulator to a wide variety of setups, so some tuning is obviously possible. What I lack is the experience to know whether or not the standard regulator setup is also correct for a higher boost pulley. Does the fuel pressure ramp or knee need to be altered? At what point do you reach the limits of the stock injectors? Increasing fuel pressure has its limits, right? How far can we go with a simple fuel pressure regulator and the stock injectors? If I go to a 7lb. pulley do I need to change anything else? Sure, I can do it, put the car on a dyno, and find out, but since others have already been through the exercise it seems wasteful to repeat their efforts. I don't see how asking such questions reflects on one's understating of supercharging, because the questions are application specific.
Old 12-10-2005, 08:20 PM

[QUOTE=RED MX5,Dec 10 2005, 05:58 PM]Ouch!
Old 12-10-2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Dec 10 2005, 05:58 PM
On the Comptech system the fuel pressure regulator ramps up the fuel pressure under boost. Parts are available to tailor the regulator to a wide variety of setups, so some tuning is obviously possible. What I lack is the experience to know whether or not the standard regulator setup is also correct for a higher boost pulley. Does the fuel pressure ramp or knee need to be altered? At what point do you reach the limits of the stock injectors? Increasing fuel pressure has its limits, right? How far can we go with a simple fuel pressure regulator and the stock injectors? If I go to a 7lb. pulley do I need to change anything else? Sure, I can do it, put the car on a dyno, and find out, but since others have already been through the exercise it seems wasteful to repeat their efforts. I don't see how asking such questions reflects on one's understating of supercharging, because the questions are application specific.
As far as the FRP that's supplied with the comptech, you have some room to play. You have it right that it just ups the fuel pressure with boost. Static pressure for the S2K is around 47psi, so for example if you are running 10psi of boost a 1:1 frp would be giving 57psi to the injectors. Makes sence so far? What a rising rate does is add a percentage more fuel as the boost increase. I believe both the Vortehc and the comptech go 8:1 on there kits. I wouldn't push more than 80psi though the stock system, which I think would be around 12 psi of boost (didn't do the math just guessing). The only problem is that at 80psi your spray pattern of your injectors is just crap, not to mention not going to be consistant. I would venture to say that adding 1-2 psi of boost to a stock kit would be ok, but I would take it easy for the first few days, check your plugs and then make a determination on whether or not your car is running safely.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by day1si,Dec 11 2005, 12:20 AM
No my pre-statement was to ease a post like this. I don't want the guy to feel insulted, he has a valid question. Although he is asking what he needs to do to make his SC make more boost, correct?
If he understands how a SC of this type works, then he would get why the pulley is the determining factor in his boost. Then maybe his question would be more geared toward what he needs to do to run higher boost properly as to not create a problem. So w/ a better understanding of how the system works on a whole he can work towards figuring out what he needs on his own and then contribute and pose questions to why something may or may not work.

Originally Posted by RED MX5
but since others have already been through the exercise it seems wasteful to repeat their efforts.
In reference to his question:
He didn't state what his boost goals were, or what he wanted to achieve. Well besides running more boost. Does he want the thing to make 10lbs, 12lbs...
The question is fairly general. Like me saying I want to go fast.

I'm all for knowledge, especially on something like this that could have repercussions for doing it wrong. So doing the research about what you have currently, will greatly help you on improving in the future.

Hell, don't hold asking anything back because of me... I'm just as lost as all the other sheep. I'm here to find my way.
LOL, I won't hold back. No need, when I take my own ignorance as a given.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't have any problem with the original question. As I see it, I'm really asking the same thing. "I want more boost. What's involved?" Just because I don't say any more doesn't mean that I don't know more (does it?). LOL, it *might*, but not necessarily. (Right?)

It could be that I'm just too easy, 'cause I think that the only stupid questions are the ones that are never asked.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=Scorpion,Dec 11 2005, 01:57 AM]As far as the FRP that's supplied with the comptech, you have some room to play.