S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

More air for the supercharger

Old 05-31-2005, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More air for the supercharger

Hi,

I just wanted to post some pics from a workshop that we did last weekend on my sc S to get fresh and cold air pressured into my vortech sc air filter setup.

The problem in my opionion is, that the vortech sc is trying to breathe some air through a small opening in the right fender, where you normally can access the front lights for changing them.

But it has to suck the air from two small opening in the lower underbody cover, the size about less than two inches. That's what I though wouldn't be enough, so we started to open up some extra space to breathe cold air and build an air catcher from several items from the do-it-yourself-center:

These are the items we bought (the two long items weren't necessary, we overestimated the length of the hose - don't men do that all the time, overestimate their sizes ):

This is the air filter:

Here you can see the front removed where the end of the hose will catch the air (besides this vortech box, whatever it may be for):

Me preparing the race gate to cover the air entry up:

Air has to come out of this small entry in the fender:

The way we catch the air, it's a 3'' going into a 2'' (as there's not enough space for the 3'' to go all way up):

Connected to the race gate from the other side:

What the police might see, now it's finished:

As for any improvement in accerlation or speed, I can't tell the difference and I haven't dynoed my car once again (will be done on June 11th). But from the principle of air flow, the supercharger now should have the possibility to breath easier and get some air pressed into his lungs, right?

Looking forward to any comments from the more technical guys here (all the others are welcome too)!

Bye,

Andreas

P.S.: My car was last dynoed at 358.3 HP
Old 05-31-2005, 11:26 PM

i've been wanting to do this too, if it helps alot then i'm going to do it.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not a bad idea to give the SC colder air, but if it comes to the mentioned
of pressing ait into the SC, thats pure BS sorry:O)
Old 06-01-2005, 11:23 AM

i guess you'll be a few extra ponies since it is colder air but not much. Nothing defiently presses into the SC because its sucking air at its own pace.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Props for being crafty.

On a side note, anybody have any confirmed gains with running a filter straight off the blower?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Andreas,
Nice job! Noticed the brewski's among your tools. Is that standard in a German tool kit? Looks like you had nice weather there. Keep in touch I'll like to see the new dyno numbers.
Aloha,
Mike & Ces
Old 06-02-2005, 12:01 PM

I don't think that's going to drop the intake temps much either. The aftercoolers are already really effeciant (sp). My intake temps (also have the front mount radiator) are around 70 degrees on a 85 degree day.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mice,Jun 1 2005, 05:09 PM
Andreas,
Nice job! Noticed the brewski's among your tools. Is that standard in a German tool kit? Looks like you had nice weather there. Keep in touch I'll like to see the new dyno numbers.
Aloha,
Mike & Ces
Aloha Mike,

actually it's not mine and also not directly Brewski. It's beer with citron lemonade, which is more refreshing while working in the sun. But I prefered water and yes, it's probably common to use in workshop (at least here).

For the weather, that was the only nice weekend so far, temp has dropped a lot since that, it's really bad for spring and rained the whole day.

Greetings to Ces and Michelle too,

Andreas + Eva
Old 06-04-2005, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Scorpion,Jun 2 2005, 12:01 PM
I don't think that's going to drop the intake temps much either. The aftercoolers are already really effeciant (sp). My intake temps (also have the front mount radiator) are around 70 degrees on a 85 degree day.
Yes, it is. If the input temperature is much lower than the temp after the aftercooler is also much lower therefore making more HP on the same outside conditions.

Also, I think if you force the air into the sc, it's either running higher more easily or needs less energy running with the same rpm's (and that way conserving energy).

Just my two cents,

Andreas