S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

maxing out map sensor?

Old 01-31-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maxing out map sensor?

Hey yall so i got a vortech sc on my car with stock boost, put 600cc injectors, a neo and a test pipe, every so often i pop a cel light, then it goes away, my tech says its my map sensor maxing out and i either need to get a 3 bar map sensor or a missing link, problem is when i had the missing link on previously when i first got the kit car didnt like it at all, bogging like crazy no power nothing so i took it off, then i got a 4 bar map sensor and the car wont stay on, friend of mine told me that i need to tune the car with the new map sensor but i cant tune it with a neo, has anyone else ever maxed out their map sensor with a vortech stock kit? also i dynoed at 332whp on a dynojet, another thing is a friend of mine recommended a thicker oil, i was running 10w30 mobile one he recommended goin to 10w40 so i put that in and now car is spitting alil white smoke out of the exhaust. and then of course i have my issue with my idle goin to hell, i come to a stop car bogs and wants to die as well as rpms go really really low, it goes away if i reset the ecu but then it will come back, i know i have read about it something to do with the ecu's learning ability, evenually gonna just go with a aem ecu but until then i would like to try and fix these problems, any suggestions?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:09 AM

also forgot to mention the seals on my sc are bad need to replace them lol
Old 01-31-2011, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdragon,Jan 31 2011, 04:00 PM
Hey yall so i got a vortech sc on my car with stock boost, put 600cc injectors, a neo and a test pipe, every so often i pop a cel light, then it goes away, my tech says its my map sensor maxing out and i either need to get a 3 bar map sensor or a missing link, problem is when i had the missing link on previously when i first got the kit car didnt like it at all, bogging like crazy no power nothing so i took it off, then i got a 4 bar map sensor and the car wont stay on, friend of mine told me that i need to tune the car with the new map sensor but i cant tune it with a neo, has anyone else ever maxed out their map sensor with a vortech stock kit? also i dynoed at 332whp on a dynojet, another thing is a friend of mine recommended a thicker oil, i was running 10w30 mobile one he recommended goin to 10w40 so i put that in and now car is spitting alil white smoke out of the exhaust. and then of course i have my issue with my idle goin to hell, i come to a stop car bogs and wants to die as well as rpms go really really low, it goes away if i reset the ecu but then it will come back, i know i have read about it something to do with the ecu's learning ability, evenually gonna just go with a aem ecu but until then i would like to try and fix these problems, any suggestions?
. You have to retune if you change the map sensor to something other than you originally tuned with.

. The stock map is good up to 12psi which I dont think you are hitting with a stock S/C kit.

. Save for a standalone ecu because that is pretty much your one and only problem
Old 01-31-2011, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock map sensors on Honda's are ~11psi. Depending on a number of factors, I've seen them hit 12lbs, and as low as 9-10 before it starts acting quirky.

However, you just can't swap a sensor, your entire maps needs rescaled, as well as the calibrations for that sensor entered.

If your "ems" doesn't support that, stick w/the stock sensor, or upgrade to a full stand-alone engine management system.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:20 AM

why do you think i would be tripping a cel about my map sensor then?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW I had the same problem with idle dropping rpm's / car stalling with my Greddy kit. It got better when I moved the stock map sensor back to the stock position (Greddy relocates it with an extension tube). So, that problem may be map related if my experience correlates to your situation.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Jan 31 2011, 02:13 PM
2. 10w40 is THINNER than 10w30 not thicker
Are you sure about that?
Old 01-31-2011, 11:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D1sclaimer,Jan 31 2011, 04:26 PM
Are you sure about that?
Sorry, half asleep at work here FIXED!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Torque Obsessed,Jan 31 2011, 02:22 PM
FWIW I had the same problem with idle dropping rpm's / car stalling with my Greddy kit. It got better when I moved the stock map sensor back to the stock position (Greddy relocates it with an extension tube). So, that problem may be map related if my experience correlates to your situation.
you ever get a cel light though?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Did you change the map sensor and not tune it after? If not that should be why.

Quick Reply: maxing out map sensor?