S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Max Boost on stock engine with SC

Old 06-05-2008, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...I got my tune from him last oct. and he said when he had his car dyno'ed on a dynojet he got 202whp and 212whp from his dynapack.(btw he owns two S2000's)
Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 AM

I had my previous car done by Jeff Evans and he uses a dynapack too, when I posted my numbers everyone and their mother had a different opinion on the dynos. Most people said they actually dyno'd lower then others said it was higher on torque but lower on hp etc... Jeffs opinion was (what I believe as well) it doesnt matter as long as the dyno is calibrated, corrects for environment variables, and is properly maintained.

I just find it odd that their dyno's are always 10% or higher then most other published numbers. I'm NOT the only one that sees it that way too.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Community Organizer
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatPreludeGuy,Jun 5 2008, 06:38 AM
I had my previous car done by Jeff Evans and he uses a dynapack too, when I posted my numbers everyone and their mother had a different opinion on the dynos. Most people said they actually dyno'd lower then others said it was higher on torque but lower on hp etc... Jeffs opinion was (what I believe as well) it doesnt matter as long as the dyno is calibrated, corrects for environment variables, and is properly maintained.

I just find it odd that their dyno's are always 10% or higher then most other published numbers. I'm NOT the only one that sees it that way too.
Its normal for a dynopack to be 5% or higher then a Dyno jet, the important thing is that it is maintained and consistant so that you have a proper base line to work from when making modifications. It doesn't make sense to go stray from one dyno to another as they all read different. Stay with one tuner and you will have accurate numbers on what your car makes when you make a modification.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 PM

I think it's been established that, by and large, Shawn Church is a good and respected tuner in this community. If your dick feels just a little bit bigger cuz you have a piece of paper that reads 40hp more than it would elsewhere, that's ok too. This is the first I've heard of someone having a bad experience with him...never personally been there, though.

Agreed with most others...you can run a bit more boost on a CENTRIFUGAL SC setup as compared to a turbo setup because peak boost is not reached until redline with a centrifugal supercharger setup. Whereas peak boost is seen and held far longer with a turbo setup...putting that much more strain/heat through the motor...and making much greater power at lower rev's.

That being said, you're not happy running more than 10psi through your SC? Get the injectors and see how much more power you get...14psi for a daily driven stock HG motor is pretty serious at 11:1 compression. BUT, JohnZ and a couple other guys have been doing it with great success. In fact, John's car is stripped and tracked quite a bit...a testament to it's reliability. I'm a wimp and went with a lowly 10psi pulley from SOS. Who knows, maybe I'll jump for a 3.4" one day.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[COLOR=blue][QUOTE=Habitforming,Jun 3 2008, 02:30 PM] That's VERY untrue for a great many of the superchargers out there (and the better ones IMO).
Old 06-06-2008, 06:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S2Kart,Jun 6 2008, 09:14 AM
[COLOR=blue]
But its not accurate to make a blanket comparison of turbo vs sc reliability. There are literally 1000X more turbos on the road than all superchargers . . . think of all those turbo diesels running 25 psi boost, long runs, zillions of miles.

Nice thing about the S is that the safe Effective Compression Ratio seems to be a good deal higher than the typical engine.
I'll give you that for heavy duty diesel's, but not for the average consumer gasoline car. Diesel's are a totally different animal and built to much different specifications. They won't suffer the same problems simply due to the fact that they're designed to pre-ignite. The same phenomenon that destroys gasoline engines is the every day life for a diesel. They're just much more robust by nature. That's even more the case when talking about heavy duty commercial vehicles.

How many 200,000 mile turbo subaru's, rx-7's, and so on do you see around? Not many that haven't been through some major rebuilds. Meanwhile, a roots blown Merc engine will run just as long as it's non-blown counterparts. I don't take this to be a testament only to Mercedes' engineering. (wish I could think of more examples atm)

As I said before - not hating on turbos at all. They're just two different technologies for two different applications. You just can't argue with greater complexity leading to lower reliability. It's a basic engineering "truth". Reliability for the system is determined by the reliability of all of the components in it. More components = decreased reliability. The only way around it is to increase reliability for each component - which leads to higher costs & typically heavier systems. That's where "heavy duty" comes in. Consumer automotive industry can only take that so far...
Old 06-06-2008, 07:24 AM

It's always best to mod on the safe side. I'm running the comptech S/C with A/Cooler at 12psi and 410 rwhp. In addition I have the 2mm inlinepro head gasket and upgraded titanium valve springs and retainers. Also tunned with AEM EMS 1052 wide band.

It's better to spend the money up front to avoid any problems later.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=Habitforming,Jun 6 2008, 06:58 AM] I'll give you that for heavy duty diesel's, but not for the average consumer gasoline car.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:47 AM

WOW im running a 14.68 effective compression ratio.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:25 PM

Me too, and I flog this bisnatch every day!!

Looking for a reason to rebuild the engine, but the F20C won't let go just yet.

Quick Reply: Max Boost on stock engine with SC