S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Losing coolant Head gasket?

Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing coolant Head gasket?

Ok so i noticed coolant on the radiator fans. I removed the rad checking the radiator hoses and clamps while doing so. The coolant was visible in numerous places it seemed as if it was spraying the back of the radiator and pooling on the underbody plastics and the bottom of the radiator. The hoses and clamps on the radiator were good and tight. I drained the oil and it looked fine no signs of mixing with coolant. However the coolant that was left about 1/2 full wasnt the bright green it was brownish and it was only about 1 day old.

I have thr car apart so I'm probably going to dive into doing a headgasket but i dont want to if i dont have to. I'm going to check the thermostat housing but i feel like that is too far away to cause the coolant to appear on the back of the radiator like it was
Old 01-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Anything to check before pulling the top of the engine off. The car wasnt running hot until it ran out of coolant.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, why do you think its a HG? Generally speaking you will not see coolant if the HG is bad. Sounds to me like you have a leak. Check all the hoses and make sure the radiator doesn't have a crack. Use a light because a small hole-crack-leak under pressure can make a mess.

Make sure to check main hoses and the heater core hoses. I'm not saying it isn't the HG but most likely its not.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah doesn't sound like a headgasket to me. I'm betting your running the own radiator and the tank on the top cracked. Mine did the same thing not too long ago. Check the plastic just behind the rad cap and you will most likely see stress cracks horizontally. If not perhaps a rad cap or hose. Top the car up with coolant and let it get up to full temp and see where it starts leaking from and report back
Old 01-19-2011, 09:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with both guys Check all the things they told you. Ussualy the radiator cracks on the top part
Old 01-20-2011, 06:54 AM

The reason i think its the head gasket is because of where the coolant is. I have a koyo rad and there is coolant "splashes" from the highest rowon the rad down. I had a head gasket go in my truck last year and it sprayed coolant from the seal.

The car doesnt leak coolant at idle only when its hot. Which gives me a problem because i have to beat the car to warm it up then hirry and pop the hood.

There are two reasons i thought it was ahead gasket. The first is it seemed similar to my truck, overheating. The second is because of where the coolant was because it was so high on the rad i thought the leak had to come from somewhere higher like around where the hg is. As opposed to the lower hose or anything.

My friend at audi helped me with the install and he thought it might have something to do withburping the coolant after we changed the thermostat. Anyone here of that causing a leak.

Since it seems like neither of the fluids mixed Im thinking maybe the pressure built up too much and cause a leak somewhere. Everything with the cooling system is less then a year old mugen fan switch and thermostt vkoyo rad and silicone hoses
Old 01-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try cleaning all the fluid off the engine bay. Then keep a close eye on it after driving. Maybe you can see a pattern that will lead you to the leak.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:56 AM

The engine is far enough from the radiator (over a foot) that you should be able to determine easily if it's coming from the rad or engine. Narrow that down first. Still sounds like a leak at the rad to me. Check your oil and see if it's milky
Old 01-20-2011, 10:35 AM

Yea i drained the oil and the coolant they both looked fine no mixing but the coolant wasnt bright green like i thought it would be. I lost all the coolant last thursday i filled it friday and lost about half by saturday the other half i drained being a day old only about 70 miles was brow ish i dont know if you can classify that as mixing or just picking up shit off the engine with 80k miles
Old 01-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Unless you had a smoke screen behind you theres no way you would burn off 2L of coolant that quickly without noticing the smoke. Money is still on a rad leak. You would see oil floating in the water if it was mixing. Oil and water dont mix well.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant Head gasket?