S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Larger displacement vs more boost

Old 08-08-2015, 07:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Larger displacement vs more boost

I'm planning a rebuild this winter and stuck on whether to go with a 2.4L stroker or not. The ultimate question is, is it better to have a smaller displacement motor and more boost, or a larger displacement and less effective boost?

Setup will be my Novi 1200 spinning to its max potential @ 22 psi 1150 CFM. Application is a road race setup.

With a stroker setup, the overall effective boost will be reduced and may even yield less HP. But I'm thinking the overall torque curve may be higher? Not sure. I don't really care about peak HP and need something that will perform reliably for a road race setup.

A stroker will have higher piston speeds which is bad, but less overall boost which is easier on the block.
A non-stroked setup will have higher boost (which the sleeves will handle fine) and less piston speed. Maybe be more reliable?

Looking for comments/thoughts from the community on which config is more ideal. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH
I'm planning a rebuild this winter and stuck on whether to go with a 2.4L stroker or not. The ultimate question is, is it better to have a smaller displacement motor and more boost, or a larger displacement and less effective boost?

Setup will be my Novi 1200 spinning to its max potential @ 22 psi 1150 CFM. Application is a road race setup.

With a stroker setup, the overall effective boost will be reduced and may even yield less HP. But I'm thinking the overall torque curve may be higher? Not sure. I don't really care about peak HP and need something that will perform reliably for a road race setup.

A stroker will have higher piston speeds which is bad, but less overall boost which is easier on the block.
A non-stroked setup will have higher boost (which the sleeves will handle fine) and less piston speed. Maybe be more reliable?

Looking for comments/thoughts from the community on which config is more ideal. Thanks!
More boost, less revs (and therefore lower piston speeds) will reduce wear. Of course, this assumes the bottom-end is adequately strong and won't bend under increased torque. Back in the Champ Car days, and this is going off my memory which is a bit hazy, but the reduce the engine speed from 18000rpm to 15000rpm, but increased the boost to have the same power. The resulting lower piston speeds greatly increased the life of the engine between rebuilds.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From personal experience I've always been a fan of higher revs whenever possible. To me, it seems like a higher redline will always out perform a larger stroke/lower redline setup. And more boost is always an option.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

The NV1200 blower has a cap of 8350rpms with a 3.2" pulley =52,000 rpms. That yielded approx 17psi for me on a 9.6:1 sleeved block over bored to 89mm/F23 square. So any rpm beyond that you are shorting the life of the blower bearings(upgrade?) wile increasing IAT. So with that, as far as an efficiency standpoint, I would run the blower up to its max safe effective speed as I just laid out and that will determine your rpm range ie 8350rpm, and build a motor that is most effect in that rpm range. I think a 2.4 stroker can be made effective up to that point, but there will be higher stresses on the con rods due to the elevated piston speeds. I think for a road course application the stock F22 with the proper cooling ie oil, coolant and IAT will be more reliable and still yield you a nice 450whp.

The other option would be to move size to a smaller 3", drop the rpm band to approx 8100rpm and have a more reliable 2.4 stroker motor, which should yield similar peak hp (possibly a little more) but with a broader trq curve through that shortened rpm range. Playing with gear ratios may be prudent in order to dial in the best overall speed range for the track you will be running. If there is one particular track you see yourself running, that may be worth considering.

The blower speed is what ultimately determines your limitation, so use that to build everything else around to be the most effective in power and reliability.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input guys. The non-stroked setup does appear to be the better choice for my application. Other than piston speeds, the side loading at BDC is another factor to consider which I can't quantify.

Regarding the pulley config, at 7200 RPM is when I hit max blower RPM and spin it up to 61000 at 8500 RPM. I'd rather get boost a little earlier, knowing that I spend more time <7200 and usually redline at ~8000 on the track (to keep things safe).

My last task is to narrow down my choices on a machine shop!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In a road race application I would see it beneficial to get revs as high as possible. You already have the benefit of the torquey linear powerband of the SC so have a motor that capitalizes on that and you can rev out to stay in the high powerband. Now if you had a turbo setup I would say go stroker to increase the midrange torque but you dont need that. High comp, high rev, novi 1200 on race gas, 20psi, mid/high 400hp range will make the perfect track car. good luck!
Old 08-10-2015, 01:39 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The NV1200 blower has a cap of 8350rpms with a 3.2" pulley =52,000 rpms. That yielded approx 17psi for me on a 9.6:1 sleeved block over bored to 89mm/F23 square. So any rpm beyond that you are shorting the life of the blower bearings(upgrade?) wile increasing IAT. So with that, as far as an efficiency standpoint, I would run the blower up to its max safe effective speed as I just laid out and that will determine your rpm range ie 8350rpm, and build a motor that is most effect in that rpm range. I think a 2.4 stroker can be made effective up to that point, but there will be higher stresses on the con rods due to the elevated piston speeds. I think for a road course application the stock F22 with the proper cooling ie oil, coolant and IAT will be more reliable and still yield you a nice 450whp.

The other option would be to move size to a smaller 3", drop the rpm band to approx 8100rpm and have a more reliable 2.4 stroker motor, which should yield similar peak hp (possibly a little more) but with a broader trq curve through that shortened rpm range. Playing with gear ratios may be prudent in order to dial in the best overall speed range for the track you will be running. If there is one particular track you see yourself running, that may be worth considering.

The blower speed is what ultimately determines your limitation, so use that to build everything else around to be the most effective in power and reliability.
how does the square motor hold up? as this is what i plan to do thanks.
Old 08-10-2015, 02:25 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by s2k manic
Originally Posted by s2000Junky' timestamp='1439151317' post='23709182

how does the square motor hold up? as this is what i plan to do thanks.
Well ive got it for sale lol. Needs a fresh re hone and a set of pistons. Drinks oil like its gasoline. Other then that it worked well. The f20 is a square motor btw. I just took the under square F22, golden eagle sleeved it, BC rods and lower comp CP pistons and bored it to 89mm and ran the 8.3lb Act pro light flywheel on it. The motor drank oil from day one and just got worse. I think a bad coil pack/s/break in didn't let the rings seat right. After 20k miles I finally got tired of poring a quart of oil in it every couple hundred miles so its sitting on an engine stand and ive got a stock N/A F22 back in the car.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:01 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

sorry to hear i was thinking of throwing 89mm pistons in darton wet sleeves with my f22 crank so i could keep my 8500rpm limit
Old 08-10-2015, 03:25 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by s2k manic
sorry to hear i was thinking of throwing 89mm pistons in darton wet sleeves with my f22 crank so i could keep my 8500rpm limit
Should be no problem. Just make sure it gets assembled properly with proper piston clearances and you get a good break in.