S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

KraftWerks C38 Supercharger Kit FAQ Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This really kinda sucks to hear.. my s2000 is only weekend driven , but I need reliability , I can't have belts breaking & what not. I was getting ready in a few weeks to send my s2000 down to LHT & have their kraftwerks package installed. But now I'm on the fence. I'd rather make less power , but have the reliability.. I wish some customers or even LHT them sleeves would chime inn.. is this new 30mm cogged belt system holding up ?
Old 05-12-2017, 02:05 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 05s2k05s2k
This really kinda sucks to hear.. my s2000 is only weekend driven , but I need reliability , I can't have belts breaking & what not. I was getting ready in a few weeks to send my s2000 down to LHT & have their kraftwerks package installed. But now I'm on the fence. I'd rather make less power , but have the reliability.. I wish some customers or even LHT them sleeves would chime inn.. is this new 30mm cogged belt system holding up ?

LHT seems to be very good and do quality work. I think they are very familiar with this KW kit... maybe talk to them and get their insight as to what you should do. But personally id spend my money on the SOS kit. I know the KW kit price tag is hard to overlook, but id lean towards a system that has been put through its pace on our cars...

also, my opinion is not to boost a daily driver. Some do it with no issues and others have serious down time due to failures... i know this topic has been covered on this forum, but boost and 100% reliability don't go hand in hand... unless you can wrench on the car yourself to save $$$ and down time...
Old 05-12-2017, 03:39 PM

I completely agree Memo , wrenching on the car isn't a big deal , but dealing with a problem or belts breaking all the time is. I certainly am leaning towards the SOS kit , like you said it just works. LHT has done like 30 of the KW kits or more , I assumed a few of them would be members here & could chime in. Some of there videos date back years ago , just wondering how those cars are holding up. I'll hang around here to see if anyone chimes inn , but if not I'll give LHT a ring & talk to them directly.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:41 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Ask LHT performance what they do in regards to belt tension as they dont seem to suffer any issues. They might even put a video on youtube showing you how to do it if you ask politely.
I messaged LHT on Facebook and asked what to look for in regards to tensioning the belt, and if there is a certain tension to have with a 85mm pulley. They messaged back saying "They do it by feel, I can't explain it" ....
Old 05-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Any of you guys with a new 30mm belt & cogged setup having issues or has this resolved them ?
Old 05-12-2017, 09:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

any 30 mm kit here ?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just received my kit yesterday, ordered from Moddiction and opted for the C38-91 blower upgrade, it came with the 30mm belt option as well. I will be installing it myself as well as ACT/OEM clutch combo, I'll let you guys know how it all goes!
Old 05-17-2017, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those who are trying to achieve proper belt tension, consider this........The belt gets tighter as the entire engine and surrounding gear gets warmed up to full operating temperature. I have had good luck so far bysetting the belt very loose and then drive the car around for 30 minutes. At this point stop and feel the belt tension. You want a slight amount of slop in the belt when it is hot. It should not feel as though it is " stretched tight". My belt has about 3/4" of "slop" in it when everything is up to operating temperature. Set the belt tension when hot to something close to this....... It will feel super loose when everything is cold, so loose in fact that you could pull the belt right off the crank pulley. I have yet to have any indication of a problem yetusing this method.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 AM

This is a response i had to someone else who's belt broke before 1k miles...

My first belt went at 850 too lol. Second at 650. Recommended tension felt too loose for me so I didn't do it on first 2.On third belt I did it anyway just in case I was wrong, belt lasted 100 lol. In the instructions it doesn't mention anything specific about mounting the belt on the drive system. I figured being that it sort of works like a chain that there is a possibility it could be off a "tooth". So what I did was start at the crank, installed a clip to hold belt, and went around starting on the driver side cog and made sure there was no tension at all in between each cog, insuring I had no slack except for where the tensioner is. I noticed that this may have been an issue because on the installation of the third belt I saw a larger oscillation in the belt in between the passenger top cog an the SC cog. This went away once I installed the belt this way. As far as tension, when I spoke to KW they said that the belt should be tensioned to about 74Hz. There is an app called Gates Carbon drive that works fairly well which I used. Your readings will be all over but you can kind of average it out. After about 300 miles I checked again and the app had a hard time getting a reading so I tightened the belt a bit and I got a reading, indicating the belt had already stretched.I'll post up my success or solutions to try and help others.

​​​​​​This happened a few months back and all kinds of things have occurred since. Eventually this belt broke as well but it did end up lasting me the longest over all of them. So something I noticed after the second break was that when i would manually try and move the SC cog that it would be very tight. It would break free and turn semi smoothly. I brought this up to KW with a theory that perhaps my belt wasn't breaking because of a tension issue but because the SC was internally binding which would shock the belt system. They agreed to have it sent out. It took about 2 months to get a new one but they did approve it. I also went with the 30mm upgrade which they sent with the new SC.
I've had it sitting there about 2 months now because I'm having the engine replaced because for whatever reason the next day after the final belt broke the engine started to have knock. Found shavings in the oil but machine shop found no obvious issue. Still had the short block replaced. Car should be running sometime this week.
During the downtime I installed a tial bov in the place of the bypass valve, got a oil catch can setup, installed a q300( had stock with UK mod). Before I get it tuned again I'm going to install SOS fuel pump rewire along with a different pump. LHT doesn't install the one that comes with kit. I also installed the SOS e85 kit so I'm going back to tuner on e85. Car made 385 on previous setup.
If this kit gives me any problems I'm selling it and going PT tuning.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:42 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Anyone have the issue where the crank pulley hits the steering rack bolt? Is it just worn engine mounts? Did anyone grind some of the bolt off the steering rack?

Quick Reply: KraftWerks C38 Supercharger Kit FAQ Thread