S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

keeping my motor cool-help

Old 04-04-2012, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerryk
Originally Posted by InductionPerformance' timestamp='1333557479' post='21575249
[quote name='gerryk' timestamp='1333376892' post='21567039']
I have the SOS SC with large IC on my 2.2l. running only ~5lbs of boost and ~280hp. my car is a race car so its always driven very hard. I have a large canton oil cooler and stock radiator. my oil temps can reach 275f on a hot day. i run 10-30 Amsoil and change it frequently. my IC sits in front then the oil cooler and finally my radiator. rarely does my water temp exceed 190f. Ive gotten many suggestions. #1 run thinner oil- it cools off faster. use an oil additive that promises to run cooler. Get a bigger oil cooler. Leave both radiator fans on all the time-with a on off switch. make sure all the air is flowing thru the radaitors.
moving my radiators around so the oil cooler sits in front of the IC radiator would be no simple task. my current oil cooler isnt small. a bigger engine radiator doesnt seem to be needed as my water is just fine. any other thoughts?
I see nothing wrong with your coolant temps or oil temps. Leave your setup be.
Would you tolerate 300f oil T
[/quote]

No. 300 is too hot. If you're peaking 285+, especially sustained, then you need to look into an external larger oil cooler.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have this setup-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61873555@N06/6088415699/
Try moving your oil cooler to a similar position.

Where is your oil temp sensor and where are you getting your water temp from?

My car gets tracked and with an oil temp of 240f the water temp is about 220f (thats with 10mins of solid redlining on a smallish circuit)
Old 04-05-2012, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele
I have this setup-

Try moving your oil cooler to a similar position.

Where is your oil temp sensor and where are you getting your water temp from?

My car gets tracked and with an oil temp of 240f the water temp is about 220f (thats with 10mins of solid redlining on a smallish circuit)
What radiator, line and fan setup are you using? If you're sustaining 220F I would start looking into bringing your coolant temps down.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a stock radiator, i measure oil temps at the pan, oil temps do come down on the cool down lap. id love to have 2 up front oil coolers like yours but id lose my brake duct cooling and more importantly a small fender bender on the front would result in an oily mess. thats alot of important stuff up front. I know .. if my engine overheats thats a huge problem too!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by InductionPerformance
What radiator, line and fan setup are you using? If you're sustaining 220F I would start looking into bringing your coolant temps down.

I've got a mishimoto rad with standard fans, I've been thinking of switching to the slim line fan and shroud kit from mishimoto.

Tbh the water temps I've seen on track are just via the dash display using a Modifry ECT. Normally I see 3-4 bars but once saw it go onto a fifth bar which is 220f, I backed of then. The corresponding oil temp was 240f (sump temp)
Old 04-06-2012, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DO NOT RUN THINNER OIL. IF anything you want thicker such as 10W-40 (40 is the number that matters when hot, 10 is the number that matters when cold) Better than changing oil either way is to simply cool the oil properly.

Generally radiator fans are useless beyond 30mph.

DO get an auxiliary oil cooler, you can hit summitracing.com and find a unit for 70 bucks that should solve your problem. Put it in the way of even mild airflow and your problem should be mostly solved. Try to avoid stacking it in the current location, I'd consider putting it flat around the subframe or something of that nature.

Another thing is to build a shroud that better forces air through the intercooler/radiator/oilcooler instead of letting it escape. Sealing the setup can make a substantial difference. However if it was me I'd do both, I'd add another oil cooler to somewhere else in the car and I'd also try to seal the intake area better.

Something to consider, coolant lines also help cool the system a little and having a larger oil capacity such as a 3qt reserve stored in the engine bay or trunk even can really help out. You can run longer before an oil change and you'll note lower temps. This is pretty common stuff on race cars/trucks. Lines can be had that have coolant fins, if you wanted to get crazy you could run a line all the way to the rear of the car and run an oil cooler around the rear diff area somewhere, surely your oil heat problems would be easily cured by then. Cost of probably $125 bucks..... not too bad. B&G I think is the name of the oil coolers I've used, just check summitracing and you'll see options.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

flat around the subframe? i would be a little concerned about that- couldnt something fly up from underneath hit that and cause an oil leak? i am already doing the shroud thing. thanks for your ideas. more oil is always better.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM

Would there be a drop in oil pressure if the oil cooler was located using a large distance of pipework?
Old 04-11-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gerryk
flat around the subframe? i would be a little concerned about that- couldnt something fly up from underneath hit that and cause an oil leak? i am already doing the shroud thing. thanks for your ideas. more oil is always better.
Couldn't something fly up and hit it in the front of the car where most are mounted? Sure, I'm sure it's safer this way than the factory way in that aspect though. Plus rocks hitting it won't generally cause any serious damage.

When it comes to coolers the key is air in/ air out. So consider venting your hood on your car perhaps too. Small increase there.