S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Intake Elbow/Filter Problem

Old 10-04-2015, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake Elbow/Filter Problem

Hey guys.

The silicone coupler that connects my compressor housing to the steel intake elbow consistently gets hot enough to melt after only a couple trips around town. I've gone through 2 in 2 days. Does anyone know of decent heat-resistant couplers that I could use? At the moment I've just been using crappy Spectre couplers.

My temporary solution for this was to cut a piece of aluminum to shape and wrap it. Not pictured, but I closed it off with some reflective heat tape too.:

Intake Elbow/Filter Problem-j8sa7dv.jpg

After that though, I realized my intake elbow wasn't fitting properly beneath the hood at all anyway. Trying to close it forces the filter down as it's too high, which then of course puts pressure on the elbow/compressor housing. The old silicone couplers offered a little bit of play for this, but the metal abomination that I made didn't have the same wiggle room.

My temporary solution for that is just using dryer duct as an intake... Which is insanely ghetto rigged but seemed to be the best way to solve the issue so I could keep a filter on the turbo. Performance wise this obviously isn't the best solution, but I was just wondering if anyone had any reason to share on why/if this is particuarly stupid because of some reason:

Intake Elbow/Filter Problem-fk0m5hp.jpg

I need a new intake elbow made, but I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions on a better coupler to use since the ones I get are melting like crazy.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Doesn't the blower build negative pressure at the inlet? Enough to break-up and injest the dryer duct?
Old 10-05-2015, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by 99SH
Doesn't the blower build negative pressure at the inlet? Enough to break-up and injest the dryer duct?
It's a turbo, but even so there's definitely still vacuum pressure on the intake. Hadn't thought about that; if any bit of that dryer duct gets sucked into the turbo it's gonna be a bad time lol. I'm not sure if the duct is strong enough to hold up, no idea how much strength is needed for that.
Old 10-05-2015, 05:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The spectre ones from Autozone are shit, I bought one thinking I could get by with a cheaper coupler and it split within a week. I ended up buying a vibrant coupler from Amazon or summit racing.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by baZurk
The spectre ones from Autozone are shit, I bought one thinking I could get by with a cheaper coupler and it split within a week. I ended up buying a vibrant coupler from Amazon or summit racing.
Ah, Vibrant. I hadn't thought about them, thanks

Also, did a couple runs around town with my MacGayver ghetto intake and it seems like it's holding up ok... I guess it'll survive at least until the end of the week when I can get back to my tuner and get a proper elbow made.

Edit: Just ordered this guy, should work out - http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...oducts_id=1941
Old 10-05-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance S2K
Originally Posted by 99SH' timestamp='1444015916' post='23766246
It's a turbo, but even so there's definitely still vacuum pressure on the intake. Hadn't thought about that; if any bit of that dryer duct gets sucked into the turbo it's gonna be a bad time lol. I'm not sure if the duct is strong enough to hold up, no idea how much strength is needed for that.
Sorry, turbo I was looking at the image thru my small phone. If you need a longer hose, check out HPS. They sell them by the foot
http://www.hps-siliconehoses.com/cat...gory/view/id/7
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM

OP, I just wanted to thank you for one of the best laughs I've had in forever. The dryer duct as an intake is literally one of the funniest things I've seen in a while and I honestly laughed hard enough for tears.

On a serious note though. Get samco couplers. They are by far the best. I replaced all the couplers supplied with my ptuning kit to them. They are just better.

Also, if you PM me the size you need, you may be lucky as I have a ton of extra couplers and because of the laugh, if I have the size you need, it's yours free, just pay shipping.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by AFs2k
OP, I just wanted to thank you for one of the best laughs I've had in forever. The dryer duct as an intake is literally one of the funniest things I've seen in a while and I honestly laughed hard enough for tears.

On a serious note though. Get samco couplers. They are by far the best. I replaced all the couplers supplied with my ptuning kit to them. They are just better.

Also, if you PM me the size you need, you may be lucky as I have a ton of extra couplers and because of the laugh, if I have the size you need, it's yours free, just pay shipping.
Thanks man, and I'm glad you got a laugh out of the post

I've already got a Vibrant 4 ply Aramid coupler coming in though, which I think will hold up nicely. Thank you very much for your offer though!
Old 10-06-2015, 09:15 AM

No problem. Hope it works out.

Also, you really need to relocate your fuse box. At least rotate it so it's not touching the hot side, albeit with the blanket.