S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

How does the AEM EMS work?

Old 10-17-2006, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the AEM EMS work?

Guys, I have an AEM EMS but I bought the 1052 without the U. I am considering picking up the UEGO based on response I receive to this thread. Inline Pro will be doing my tuning.

Question:

1. Does the EMS with UEGO monitor your AFR's and adjust fuel/timing in situations where you'd run lean (like when it's really cold out or when you get a test pipe) or rich (like when it's hot as hell out)?

Setup:

CTSC/AC
HKS Exhaust
DC Headers
550 cc RC injectors
Stock boost but considering a bit more (hence the injectors)

Thank you!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM

I haven't looked seriously into it, but I believe with a wideband O2 plugged into the EMS you can have it set to compensate a little bit for overly rich or overly lean conditions. Again, I personally have not looked into this option, but i have heard that this is something that can be set up.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:09 PM

Can anyone provide some insight into this? Ya? Kane? Any FI tuners out there?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:55 PM

don't s2000's have IAT? i'm guessin the AEM would have IAT correction so that wouldn't be a problem....
Old 10-17-2006, 06:50 PM

What's IAT?
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 PM

intake air temp
Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM

I was under the impression that the Fcon vpro was the only system that will self adjust... Correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:46 PM

You can have the AEM use O2 feedback and re-map the fuel curves. However that feature is almost never used by a tuner since something like a bad O2 sensor or other problems might give incorrect maps created.

The knock sensor is valuable and can take away timing if there's any knock introduced or even add fuel per volt. Just have to have a good knock threshold table.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by CourageOO7,Oct 17 2006, 03:35 PM
Guys, I have an AEM EMS but I bought the 1052 without the U. I am considering picking up the UEGO based on response I receive to this thread. Inline Pro will be doing my tuning.

Question:

1. Does the EMS with UEGO monitor your AFR's and adjust fuel/timing in situations where you'd run lean (like when it's really cold out or when you get a test pipe) or rich (like when it's hot as hell out)?

Setup:

CTSC/AC
HKS Exhaust
DC Headers
550 cc RC injectors
Stock boost but considering a bit more (hence the injectors)

Thank you!
I would highly recommend you buy the UEGO. It is the most valuable tool used in tuning your car. You seem to be the person who has someone tune it for you, and thats fine. You should still buy it.

This is what it does. It monitors your afr. Thats all. But, it has many advantages and ways of using its monitoring capabilities.

I will list its advantages when used in conjunction with the AEM.

Automapping
o2 feedback
afr datalogging

It EMS however doesnt use it to pull any sort of timing, only knock control can pull timing. Do you know if you have knock control set up? If you dont I highly suggest you set it up or have someone do it. You can send me your maps and I will see if it is, if you would like.

The EMS can use your afr reading from the UEGO to automap your fuel map. You set the desired afr in each cell of your fuel map, and specify a few parameters, and it tries its best to achieve those afr's in the apprpriate cells. Its very cool I think

The EMS can also use the UEGO's signal to use closed loop fueling. Once again, you turn on O2 feedback, set the desired afr's in each cell, and it will actively monitor your afr's in real time, and constantly make adjustments to it to match the afr you specified. Also very cool if set up correctly.

Now the afr datalogging ability is obvious why its a good tool. You have the afr on the datalogs to reference what areas of your fuel map need to be improved upon or which areas are good. This is the most important function of the guage, imo. Without it, you would not be able to tune your car.

In other words, get it . If you would like to talk more about it or anything to do with the EMS, feel free to PM me.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:09 PM

I own the EMS but I haven't installed/tuned it yet. I will be having Inline Pro do the tuning.
EVO - I'll note your suggestions regarding knock control. I will ask my tuner if they will set this up at the time of the tune.

It appears that automapping is a feature a lot of guys don't use because they fear their O2 sensor may fail one day and give incorrect readings...leading the ecu to adjust fuel incorrectly and costing you a motor. What happens in this case? If your ECU doesn't react to your AFR, how can it compensate for changing atmospheric conditions (heat/cold/humidity...)?

Quick Reply: How does the AEM EMS work?